2013 F150 Odor from HVAC - Band-Aid Box smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RG00924
Hi Crystal, I have a little over 20K miles on it. Bought it in April 2014. The odor started 2-3 weeks ago. Going back to the dealer tomorrow for some other work. Will talk to him again about the odor. All though the last time they did not have any idea what was causing it.
Sounds good, RG00924; let us know if they provide you with a diagnosis. If you'd like me to get this pushed up the line to your regional customer service manager, just send me a private message (PM) with your details. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Band-Aid Smell

My evaporator assy is also leaking again and causing the odor. I had it replaced last year and it is again being replaced right now. Ford has not even addressed this issue with a TSB. There are many of these same issues floating around. This will be my last Ford.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by MikeNY
My evaporator assy is also leaking again and causing the odor. I had it replaced last year and it is again being replaced right now. Ford has not even addressed this issue with a TSB. There are many of these same issues floating around. This will be my last Ford.
I want to see what I can do to keep you as a member of the Ford Family, MikeNY. What's your truck's model year and mileage? I'll start investigating options.

Crystal

Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Evaporator leak issue

Crystal. 2013 F-150 Ecoboost w/ $25,000 miles. We have been down this road twice already. Someone at FMC is dropping the ball and not taking responsibility for this defective design on the evaporator assembly. I have request a direct contact with Ford in the past to no avail. If you can make something happen this time for me as well as all the others with the same issue I am sure it will be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Crystal. 2013 F-150 Ecoboost w/ $25,000 miles. We have been down this road twice already. Someone at FMC is dropping the ball and not taking responsibility for this defective design on the evaporator assembly. I have request a direct contact with Ford in the past to no avail. If you can make something happen this time for me as well as all the others with the same issue I am sure it will be appreciated.
Send me a PM with your information, MikeNY; I'll research this further. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me.

Crystal

Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Spray Hunters scent remover where the air comes in, fan on high ,not where it goes out.
scentless Febreze at Walmart too. Also make sure your ac drains are open and draining. Cabin Filters can smell when old.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 PM
We too are having this issue with our 2012 F150. We bought it about a month ago with 26k miles on it. The smell didn't begin until a couple weeks ago. We dropped it at the dealer yesterday for their second attempt to fix it. I shared details with them previously from info on posts like yours MikeNY.

I have been in touch with Ford Service and they're assisting as well.

I am very concerned with this issue. My wife has chemical sensitivity and we absolutely can NOT use the AC until this is fixed. I hate the thought that even if they do get it fixed now while under warranty, is it going to fail again a year from now when its out of warranty?

We love the truck other than this very huge problem!!

I will let you know what happens when we get our truck back.

I agree that Ford needs to see that there is something majorly wrong with the evaporator assembly on these trucks. I wonder how many people are being affected by this.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Evaporator Assembly - Class Action

I find it very difficult to understand that after over a year and the number of issues regarding the evaporator assembly, Ford has yet to provided a revised part or a TSB for this issue. I am presuming that the leaking refrigerant may cause health effects hence is why I am preparing all the documents that will be forwarded to a class action attorney for review. A number of you have provided detailed service reports as well as other information that will be useful toward resolving this issue. Crystal from Ford Service appears to be sincere about helping; however, keep n mind she is just here to facilitate information. I have yet to receive a call from the Ford regional manager for my area. This entire part issue is very bad quality control on FMC's part. Any of you who have service reports or other information regarding this issue, please PM me so I can added it to the file.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Dealer did not do anything this time. Has to order a "deodorizing kit", so I will have to burn an other day off to bring the truck in.
Mechanic did look at it and said that the drain hose is not plugged or restricted.

Last edited by RG00924; 05-10-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
...Crystal from Ford Service appears to be sincere about helping; however, keep n mind she is just here to facilitate information. I have yet to receive a call from the Ford regional manager for my area...
Hi MikeNY,

I checked out the case notes and it looks like your regional customer service manager left a message for you on Friday; they'll try to get in touch again today. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist from my neck of the woods.

Crystal

Old 05-19-2015, 03:32 PM
bandaid smell

Well you can add me to the list of people with this issue.. Trucks at the dealer right now. Just talked to the service adviser and he is running a second deodorizer kit thru it as I type this..

Claims no leaks in evaporator assembly.

2014 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat with 17000 miles.

Love spending this kind of money to have these problems.

I had an 09 F150 that was nothing but problems. traded it in for jeep. 3 years later thought I'd give Ford another try..

Ed

Old 05-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Eddiek01
Well you can add me to the list of people with this issue.. Trucks at the dealer right now...
Hi Ed,

I got your PM this morning and sent you a reply. I'll be happy to do all I can to help.

Crystal

Old 05-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Here's an update on the issue....

We just got our truck back and the problem has been resolved. As with others who have had the problem successfully fixed, they replaced the "Core Assembly Air Conditioner Evaporator", according to the repair invoice.

RJ with Ford Service was helpful, as was our Ford Dealer. No complaints with either of them.

My concern continues to be that this problem may return in the next year or so...or at anytime in the future. We will be out of warranty a year from now. I asked what it would have cost if we weren't under warranty and was quoted $1,100 by our dealer. That will be a painful repair bill!!!

I seriously hope that Ford recognizes that this part has issues and takes action to recall it.

If it breaks again in the future, we will most likely be replacing our F150 with a Chevy or Dodge. Hope that doesn't have to happen.

Joe

Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Well brought it back to the dealer. They ordered a deodorizing kit. When I dropped it off I asked for a loaner. Was also the third time I brought it in to have the interior molding on the "B" pillar replaced. Was told it would only be 1.5 hrs. so I said I would wait. After 2 hrs. asked what was going on. Employee said he would check with the mechanic. He then disappeared for one hour. Asked again and he said he was just going to check on it. Got truck back after all most 4 hours. Odor returned that day.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by RG00924
...Got truck back after all most 4 hours. Odor returned that day.
Let's get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager (CSM), RG00924. To make that happen, PM me the info I listed in my prior post (your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership) so I can get this into the hands of your CSM.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 Odor from HVAC - Band-Aid Box smell