2013 F150 Odor from HVAC - Band-Aid Box smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
band aid smell too

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, RG00924; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. I'd like to see what I can do to help your truck smell fresh as a daisy. How many miles are on it currently?

Crystal
2013 f150 5.0 band aid smell started about two weeks ago at startup. Ac hasn't been blowing as cold for the last two months but the smell is new. Please advise.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nolafordguy
2013 f150 5.0 band aid smell started about two weeks ago at startup. Ac hasn't been blowing as cold for the last two months but the smell is new. Please advise.
Welcome, nolafordguy! If you haven't already, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership to have the smell checked out. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Welcome, nolafordguy! If you haven't already, I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership to have the smell checked out. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal
I'll schedule it soon. 67k on the truck. Also have the rear defroster that doesn't work so thank god for an extended warranty! I'd be looking at 3K in repairs.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 PM
I'll schedule it soon. 67k on the truck...
Thanks for the quick reply, nolafordguy! Let me know when you get a verdict from the dealership; I'll do what I can to help out.

Crystal

Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Heard that if you run the AC up until you park and shut off the truck condensation forms on the evaporator. Overtime mold grows on it causing the smell. Only way to get rid of it is to replace the evaporator. This is especially true if you run the AC on Max. To prevent the problem the AC has to be shut down before you get to your destination, and it has to be shut down with enough time to allow the condensation on the evaporator to dry.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, nolafordguy! Let me know when you get a verdict from the dealership; I'll do what I can to help out.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. Is there anything special that I need to do prior to the appointment? I don't want to go back and forth to the dealership 3-4 times.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks Crystal. Is there anything special that I need to do prior to the appointment? I don't want to go back and forth to the dealership 3-4 times.
Hi nolafordguy,

I'm not aware of anything that you need to do prior to the appointment, but while you're there, you may want to try to replicate the odor for your technician. It may aid in their diagnosis of your truck.

Crystal

Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RG00924
Heard that if you run the AC up until you park and shut off the truck condensation forms on the evaporator. Overtime mold grows on it causing the smell. Only way to get rid of it is to replace the evaporator. This is especially true if you run the AC on Max. To prevent the problem the AC has to be shut down before you get to your destination, and it has to be shut down with enough time to allow the condensation on the evaporator to dry.

Cadillacs used to have that problem. They added a circuit that keep the AC fan running for a few minutes after you turned the car off in order to dry the moisture out of the evaporator and prevent the mold growth. Any GOOD electronics guy should be able to build a circuit to do the same thing. It would also be EASY for FORD to do; IF they wanted to. Considering that most of the systems in the modern FORDs are computer controlled anyway, all it would probably take would be a small programming change.

If you want to get FORD's attention, I suggest posting "My FORD STINKS" or something similar on Facebook. FORD's Customer Service seem to have NO power and NO influence with FORD.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by RG00924
OK yes some of that it true. Condensation does form on thebevap coil because that is what an ac system does. It cools as well as removes moisture from the air. However, I feel I must correct one point. Mold that forms on evap coils doesn't give a bandaid like smell. That sounds more like an r134a leak. Mold has a distinctive smell that is completely different. Trust me you'll know if its mold. I have found this out from years of HVAC work.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM
You can add my certified pre owned 2011 truck to the stinky truck club. I had it at the dealer two weeks ago for tune up /plug change. picked it up and two days later it started to stink REALLY bad. Brought it back to the dealer earlier this week and was told I have a leaky evaporator $ 1500 estimate to fix. What a joke

Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tschro
You can add my certified pre owned 2011 truck to the stinky truck club. I had it at the dealer two weeks ago for tune up /plug change. picked it up and two days later it started to stink REALLY bad. Brought it back to the dealer earlier this week and was told I have a leaky evaporator $ 1500 estimate to fix. What a joke
Hi Tschro,

Did you proceed with the repair at your dealership? How many miles are on the truck? I'll start researching options.

Crystal

Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 PM
i brought it in and got an estimate on what would fix the smell. They told me it was a leaking evaporator. $1500 + to fix. 92k on my truck.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tschro
i brought it in and got an estimate on what would fix the smell. They told me it was a leaking evaporator. $1500 + to fix. 92k on my truck.
Let's push this up the line to your regional customer service manager (CSM), Tschro. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll have your CSM give you a call to discuss this further.

Crystal

Old 05-06-2016, 02:10 PM
f 150 smell

the smell in my 2013 limited on both a/c & heater smells like horse crap must be a mold problem also I am not getting any drainage under truck cannot find drain tube to check for blockage does anyone know were to find drain tube going to try duct cleaner from auto zone

Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM
bad smell a/c vent

I purchased a 2013 f 150 used several months ago. I am having the same band aid chemical smell from the vents any time a/c is on. Went back to the dealer twice. 1st time they cleaned the a/c system, 2nd time the traced all wires to see if any were burnt, they also removed blower to see if there were any prolbems. They didnt find anything. The smell is so bad i dont want to drive truck anymore. Any suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 Odor from HVAC - Band-Aid Box smell