EATC is Rebuildable

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am amazed at the efficiency of this procedure. This is the most success I have ever experienced following a procedure especially a free one. I completed the removal of the EATC and replaced all four o-rings in about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I reconnected all the plugs and then fired it up in complete and total amazement"IT Worked!"). Thanks a million times this is totally awesome!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
My quote from Ford to fix this was $850. My cost to fix this was $4.32.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brichmond
I am amazed at the efficiency of this procedure. This is the most success I have ever experienced following a procedure especially a free one. I completed the removal of the EATC and replaced all four o-rings in about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I reconnected all the plugs and then fired it up in complete and total amazement"IT Worked!"). Thanks a million times this is totally awesome!!!
Originally Posted by brichmond
My quote from Ford to fix this was $850. My cost to fix this was $4.32.

Glad to know that we have the same symptoms it's been driving me nutz the past few days!

Gotta dig in there and get those o-rings changed out i guess

Thanks again for posting results and to the OP for the write-up.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Get 4 O'ring 9/32 from work and 1 hr to remove and replace o'ring install back. Now I do enjoy blast cold air come out from the vent again
Thank you for all the info.
here the picture:

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
cool! I always thought they were just a replacement only item as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F-in sweet!

Thanks for the pics i will pick up some o-rings and yank that sucker out tomorrow!

It's been getting hott in NorCal the last week.........nothing like other partsof the USA but hott enough for me to want my AC out the vents lol.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Where is the eatc located?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Look at the last two picture

Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
hmmm feel like starting an ebay buisness?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I just want everyone to know the E-bay business is not mine.
I also want to say thanks for the pics posted, I never took any at the time because it was strictly an experiment for me. I am very glad to see all the positive results.

Keep on Truckin'
devilsrighthand

Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Replaced my o-rings.... had 2 dry brittle one
Still didn't fix the problem.

Did a little more searching and found that the vacuum plentum that attaches to the back of the EATC was not holding vacuum against the unit.

Applied a little non-hardeniing silicone gel (caliper slider lube) to the contact areas and problem solved!

I was just adding this in case teh o-rings didn't solve your problem.
To diagnos this problem see if the controls work when you apply hand pressure to the vaccum plentum to make better contact. The "vent" vacuum hose has very little pressure because it is further away from the hold down nut.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 PM
You are the man Devilsrighthand!

luckily i have an honest mechanic and he pointed me in the right direction, saying it was def the EATC unit and not the vaccum lines themselves. He recommended another avenue rather than buy a new unit for $600 and pay him $20 to install. That is what led me to you and this site.

I spent $2.09 on 4 o-rings and $3 on a can of silicone. You saved me $600 and i tried to give my mechanic the $20 bucks just for the diagnostic, he wouldnt take it, rather he just wanted the 4 old o-rings and the sheet of directions i printed out for the job. What a breeze, your instructions. 1hr. i cant wait to drive home and blow cold air directly on my face the whole time.

thanks again!

david

Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Still doesn't work

I did this exactly as you all said. I plugged it back in and now it actually switches from defrost to the floor and back and forth and so on, BUT, it still doesn't come out the vents for max ac or automatic. I used to be able to use VENT to get warm air through the vents but now that doesn't work...

I just sprayed silicone on the connectors for the vacuum pipes too....
Any ideas?

I had an a/c check done and they said it was a faulty control unit so I was really hoping this would solve it.

Thanks

Last edited by golfpntvdr; 10-16-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM
First post!!!!Want to say thank you for the fix on this problem! Have been dealing with this for 2 years! Gone through 2 of these under the warranty. Found this sight from a member on greenhulk.net. Printed it out and showed this to my bud that work a the ford stealership! He was amazed! Thanks Lee

Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Thanks a ton - Ridiculous Fix to my problem...you won't believe it

First of all, thanks a ton for posting the instructions on how to rebuild the EATC unit. You just saved me the small fortune for the part, so pat yourself on the back and feel good about the time it took to write it all out for us!

Second...why I needed to rebuild it, or should I say, how I found out I needed to rebuild it. After almost 11 months of trying to figure it out...it all came together in the last 3 hours and now it's 1:24 a.m.

I have owned this truck for almost 3 years, I bought it from one of my best friends, who had owned it for 2 years. It's a 2002 F150 4WD SC and my friend bought it from a dealer in Phoenix, AZ who is a very good friend of his.

The dealer went to the auction down there specifically looking for this truck for my buddy in late 2004, early 2005. He finds this one, gets a killer deal, and the rest is history.

When said friend bought it...the only problem was that the AC/Heat only came out the panel vents. The dealer friend suspected it was a simple vacuum issue. My buddy never fixed it, he's not one to dive into a project on his own and the only diagnostic he ever received was the 5-minute Ford dealer quote of $1,200 "Your blend door is broken" quote. Needless to say...AC worked great, heat worked great, just only came out the vents. (And for those in the know, that also means the blend door is fine.) So he learned to live with it.

I buy the truck and live with it for about 2 years, but last December I'm just sick of not having defrost...join the F150 Forum and begin to learn about my truck from all of you. So...rule out the blend door, today I borrowed a vacuum pump...eliminate vacuum issues. Decide it must be the actuators, because I can hear the EATC unit working. Take off the panel/defrost actuator arm and attempt to manually move that mode door...start music here...door is flat out jammed/stuck and won't move at all. Makes no sense. I reach around, thru the panel vents that are on each side of the radio and begin to feel around, only because someone on this forum at one point said you can feel that mode door and move it with your hand (Thanks to that guy, don't know who he is!). As I'm feeling around aimlessly...My hand runs into a metal rod that is 1/2 plastic on top and 1/2 metal on the bottom. I turn this rod, thinking that it must be a control rod or something, but nothing happens. After a few seconds of not making progress I decide to pull my hands out of each side and somehow, truly accidental (or it was Divine Intervention), I knock that rod loose. I must admit, my first thought was "Oh Crap", what have I done...knowing what it would take to break the whole dash down to fix what I broke. So I pull the rod out...it was a 6" flathead screwdriver! No freaking way. At this point it's about midnight and I'm about ready to go nuts in my garage alone, just so excited that i finally figured out the 5-year mystery. I put it partly back together and then realize when I start it that the EATC unit is bad. So....following the directions, I rebuild the sucker in about 45 minutes, fire it up, and it works like it was brand new! (thankfully I had bought the o-rings earlier in the day, hoping I would get to use them).

So here is what I have determined happened...

Dealer friend buys the truck at the auction, so we don't know the history. I think the original dealer that was selling the truck at auction determined the EATC unit was bad, truck was only 24 months old at that point, didn't want to pay to get it fixed. Knew that in Arizona if the AC blew cold and in your face, nobody at an auction would question it. I think the screwdriver was put there on purpose to 'fake it' through the auction by blocking the mode door to the panel only. All these months of trying to figure it out and I'm positive it was a trick by the original seller/dealer....crazy.

Last edited by stens02150SC; 11-10-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Quick Reply: EATC is Rebuildable