Air only thru dash vents

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air only thru dash vents

I noticed yesterday that on my 2008 F150, I could only get air to flow thru the dash vents regardless to where the selector was set. There is no air to the defroster or floor.

I mad an appointment at my local dealer (not selling dealer) to get it fixed.

Have there been many problems with this?

Any idea what is wrong?

I have found in the past it is best to know all you can before visiting the dealer.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
My 2003 F150 KR is doing something similar... I select FLOOR and all the air is directed to the defroster! When I select VENT, all the air is directed thru the dash vents. Same with FLOOR+PANEL. No air goes to the floor. Right about that time, the driver's seat "bun warmer" quit. the indicator lamp lights, but no bun warming. I wonder if it's related. Getting at the HVAC module is brutal.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:15 PM
What was the problem? I replaced the infamous blender door and I still have the same issue. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
haha, I came here to post this exact problem with my 2007 F150. I don't have the climate control system, just the manual dials.

What is interesting is that this only happens when it's cold. Once the warm air is blowing for a few minutes is works as it should. That makes me think something is sticky that loosens up when it's warm.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
blend door is not the issue, this controls the temperature of the air from the vents.

You either have a broken mode door actuator or your mode door is jammed (happened to me).

Refer to this thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/hv...new-style.html

By the way, your dealer is going to rape you on this job if the mode door itself is jammed, it will take them a whole day of labor atleast. They have to remove the entire dash down to the firewall to get to it, I did this myself. Took me 2 days!

Last edited by Hawkz28; 04-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I had the same problem on my older truck. There is a very small vacuum line located between the battery box and the firewall. It becomes brittle and breaks. Apparently a common problem. Check the integrity of the vacuum line

Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Any updates yet?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Please let me know your results. My AC has started blowing through the defroster. It was intermittent at first. It would blow through the defroster for a while and then switch to the vents. Today, it quit blowing through the vents altogether and I have to take it on a long, hot drive in a week or two so please let me know what you last few guys figured out!

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by weber92037
I had the same problem on my older truck. There is a very small vacuum line located between the battery box and the firewall. It becomes brittle and breaks. Apparently a common problem. Check the integrity of the vacuum line
04+ trucks do not have a vacuum controlled HVAC system. It is all electrical controlled by three actuators. One for mode door, one for blend door, and one for recirc.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks, I found the vacuum hoses, I pulled the trim from the center of the dash and pulled the AC controls out. There are several vacuum hoses of different colors. The AC wants to blow out of the defrost and floor vents. If I select "vent" on the controls, the air comes out of the dash vents but does not go through the AC coils. Which door is being affected and which color hose controls it? If I had to guess I'd choose the white one.

Now, would unplugging them from the back of the controls and trying to push air through them one at a time serve any purpose? And, if the truck is not running, would I be able to detect a leak if one of the hoses does not hold pressure?

Also, if one of them leaks, why does it sometimes work?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Fix for air coming only out dash vent

On my Ford f150 2008 air was only coming out the dash vents.how to fix.... Under the dash above the gas pedal mounting bracket you'll find a kidney shaped housing the size of a large hand. Attached to this is a motor that moves the linkage arm for the damper direction flap. Housing had four screws. Motor attached with four screws as well. Removing the motor and still connected to the harness it did not work. I replaced the motor and reassembled everything. Problem was fixed. New motor was $50.00 Canadian dollars. Time approx. 3hrs after checking every fuse going to the dealer parts store and fusing with one screw top corner above gaspedal mounting bracket. Note: harness connector on motor has a red secondary lock that has to be pulled outward slightly before pressing on the release tab.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Andy Klicka
On my Ford f150 2008 air was only coming out the dash vents.how to fix.... Under the dash above the gas pedal mounting bracket you'll find a kidney shaped housing the size of a large hand. Attached to this is a motor that moves the linkage arm for the damper direction flap. Housing had four screws. Motor attached with four screws as well. Removing the motor and still connected to the harness it did not work. I replaced the motor and reassembled everything. Problem was fixed. New motor was $50.00 Canadian dollars. Time approx. 3hrs after checking every fuse going to the dealer parts store and fusing with one screw top corner above gaspedal mounting bracket. Note: harness connector on motor has a red secondary lock that has to be pulled outward slightly before pressing on the release tab.
Any idea what that motor part number or name is Andy?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:01 PM
check the vacuum lines that run through the firewall, by the passenger fender/door. After doing my heater core and blend door replacement, I ran into that issue, was a loose hose where I mentioned.. Small little guy...Stuck it back in the grommet and all has been well since.

I retract everything I just said, as I overlooked yours is a 2008, and mine is a 98, so those hoses may not even exist there on yours. My apologies.

Last edited by Zilla98; 09-16-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:06 AM
Pulled off the mode door actuator motor. The motor is working fine. Upper defrost lever is hardly moving most likely because of insulation jammed in there. Jesus, Ford has really pissed me off on this one. I just spent $1400 on new cab corners now no defrost.

Up here in Upstate NY I pretty much depend on defrost mode about 8 months a year!

Anyone have the best link to the smallest amount of dash removal to remove the jammed insulation? I watched a few videos and a couple guys said they went a little overboard and could have done it without removing so much.

This is on my 2007 truck btw.

Last edited by StumpZ; 09-18-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by StumpZ
Pulled off the mode door actuator motor. The motor is working fine. Upper defrost lever is hardly moving most likely because of insulation jammed in there. Jesus, Ford has really pissed me off on this one. I just spent $1400 on new cab corners now no defrost.

Up here in Upstate NY I pretty much depend on defrost mode about 8 months a year!

Anyone have the best link to the smallest amount of dash removal to remove the jammed insulation? I watched a few videos and a couple guys said they went a little overboard and could have done it without removing so much.

This is on my 2007 truck btw.
Yep, just like I said on the 4th post exactly............ NO VACUUM LINES and there is a mode door actuator. If it's jammed, your foam is jammed in the door.

You now have 3 options:

1)Do what I did, and get the Chilton manual and rip the dash out and remove the foam. Labor intensive but the "correct" way to fix.
2)Do a search, there are guys on here who did it by just removing the radio and either cutting into the ducting and then patching it, or some other creative methods. If I had to do it again, I would do this.
3)Pay the dealer(I wouldn't, because it's going to be expensive, and because they ahve to remove so much of your dash those guys will probably break something in the process, then need to remove the steering wheel, center console, instrument cluster, lots and lots of electrical connectors, tons of snapped in panels they will probably destroy the tabs on, etc.)

Quick Reply: Air only thru dash vents