dripping noise from AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dripping noise from AC

I have a 2001 F 150 Lariat Flareside and just this past week I can hear a dripping noise when I run the A/C. It is seemingly coming from the passenger side glovebox area. Drip occurs approx once every 10 seconds? Haven't noticed any water in the cabin area. And it seems, I am getting a bit of that A/C smell now, after I turn the A/C off. If I turn the controls on my vent selection to off...and then back to panel?, the air seems ok. Maybe the second problem is a blend door issue? The day beore I noticed the problem, I had left the wife in the truck, A/C running and she turned the engine off after a couple minutes and left the A/C on....hope that didn't cause a problem. Note: never leave the wife in the truck with A/C running...just crack the window!!

James

Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Check your condensate drain (under the truck, through the firewall). It is normal for the condensed moisture to drip out of this drain. Sometimes, it hits an exhaust component and sizzles with an audible noise. It is below the passenger side of the dash.

How is the overall performance of the climate control system?

Do you have reliable control of the temperature, ie HOT to Cold, etc?

Does the system stink with a musty or stale smell a day or more after the A/C is used? If so, that drain may be clogged and you're getting nasty stuff growing in the moist plenum.

Does the A/C cool properly and continue cooling or does it gradually loose performance after a short while?

Just a few ideas since your "problem" is not well defined.

Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
dripping noise

The A/C and heat have been working with no noticeable diminished performance. The so called musty smell has only just recently become noticeable AFTER I turn the A/C off and just run outside air. I have detected this smell in the past but I rarely smell it due to the fact I always turn my a/c off well before stopping the vehicle for any length of time and leave the vent selector on "panel" or outside air. How is easy is it to access this drip line? can it be done from under the hood? Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM
ac drip

The condensation drip from the under carriage of the truck seems to be dripping right at the firewall, on the passenger side ( I don't recall seeing it so close to the cab). And the amount of condensation I see dripping is not nearly what I think it should be on a hot humid day. Can someone give basic directions on how to locate this drip tube?

James

Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesf
The condensation drip from the under carriage of the truck seems to be dripping right at the firewall, on the passenger side ( I don't recall seeing it so close to the cab). And the amount of condensation I see dripping is not nearly what I think it should be on a hot humid day. Can someone give basic directions on how to locate this drip tube?

James

Follow the dripping water.

Steve

Quick Reply: dripping noise from AC