imsulating the cold side hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imsulating the cold side hoses?

The A/C works pretty good in my 2001 but not nearly as cold as the a/c in my Volvo wagon.

I was changing the oil today and after I was done I had the motor running and the a/c on while I was looking under the hood, Condensation was coming off the exposed aluminum lines on the cold side ( high pressure) it occured to me that doesn't make any sense to have uninsulated refrigerant lines in the engine compartment,

Any suggestions on a suitable insulation wrap for the lines that won't melt under the hood??

Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Don't.

All the insulation does is trap moisture and cause corrosion.

Steve

Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro...

Your warning seems valid. I did find some info at Ford Fleet that says the following:

A/C Lines & Fittings

* The following is a good practice to ensure proper function of A/C lines and joints
o Protect underbody lines from stones with convolute or foam insulation
o Route convolute or foam so that the slit is on the bottom of the assembly to avoid corrosion (Water accumulation)
o Route lines away from heat sources (Exhaust pipes), heat will damage orings, hoses and crimps
o Insulating suction line will improve performance
o Use lines going to the rear that are equal to or less than ½ inch (Liq. Lines. For better performance)
o Use lines coming from the rear that are equal to or larger than 5/8” (Suc. Lines. For better oil in circulation)

So what I did was put microcell foam insulation on the suction line I put the slit on the bottom and snugged it down lightly with zip-ties . It made a very noticeable improvement in the cold air output. It is 94 degrees out and this is the first time the a/c has been too cold.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by RKrough; 06-26-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:12 PM
To much work I just bypass my heater core in the summer and my AC blows snow. I guess there is always some flow in the heater core. It is suppose to help stop the windows from fogging

Quick Reply: imsulating the cold side hoses?