Heater Core- 1998 F-150 V6 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Core- 1998 F-150 V6 4.2L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My truck seems to have a issue of not being able to heat up when the heater is on and defrosting. So I read around and saw that I thought to have had common signs of heater core problems so I pulled apart my truck for about 8 good hours and replaced the core. I got everything back together, turned on the truck, and antifreeze leaked everywhere! I drove down the street and before I know it, I see smoke! Here are a few mistakes I made....

1. Bought an aftermarket heater core from Schucks, guess I should have went to the dealership and bought a new one.

2. I didnt wrap that heater core with any foam to protect it from bouncing around.

3. The "snap clips" that link the heater core through the fire wall to the antifreeze lines are hard as hell to get to clip in! I think I didnt get them clipped in all the way and that might be my problem? And if they arent clipped in all the way, would you have a little leak inside the cab?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And just curious, Should I redo it and put that foam tape around the heater core or just leave it?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:57 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If they are not snapped on they will blow off from the pressure inside the coolant system. If you lost/damaged the o ring seals then the connections will leak. This could drip back into the plenum and leak into the cab. Below is a blow up of the clip and O rings. There are two rubber rings and one nylon spacer. Misplace/damage any of these and the connection will leak.

JMC

Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it is a horrible design that causes servicing nightmares but assembles quick on the assembly line.

Quick Reply: Heater Core- 1998 F-150 V6 4.2L