How do I hookup to factory mic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I hookup to factory mic?

I installed a Kenwood unit awhile ago and now want to see if I can hook up the factory mic for handsfree calling. There wasn't a seperate connection for it, it was included in the factory harness somewhere. I can plug into the head unit via 1/8 (3.5 mm) jack, and run the cable to the headliner and use the one that came with my unit, but it sure would be easier if someone here knew a way I could tie into the origional one!

Kenwood unit installed using Maestro adapter, in my 2011 XLT, SCREW.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The factory mic is connected to the APIM via a three-wire connection (it's powered). The MIC +/- signals are then sent from the APIM to the ACM via two of the wires in the 16-pin connector (at the ACM). Pins 11/12, BN-VT/WH/GR.

I have no idea if the signals carried on the above wires would be compatible with your KW head unit.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply! Sounds like I can't tie into it, and will have to use the new one that came with the deck.

I am not looking forward to messing with the headliner thats for sure, and to stick it on the steering column cover isnt the cleanest install.

Oh well.... time to be patient and think things over. Thanks again!