Add Audio Control Buttons to Steering Wheel to operate aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add Audio Control Buttons to Steering Wheel to operate aftermarket HU

Okay, so I have read some threads about switching out the steering wheel button controls on a non-audio control truck.. but they seem to be related to running the factory radios. I am looking to upgrade my wheel to run an aftermarket Kenwood DNX unit.

I have done research on the components needed, but wondered if the swap would be worth it.. or if I should go down the path of searching for an aftermarket steering wheel mounted remote.

I would be thrilled if I can buy buttons that would swap files, folders and volume.. at very least I would want to swap files and volume.. I can deal with pushing the head unit to swap folders.

Has anyone tackled this? What would be needed to make sure the cruise will still work? Does anyone have a better solution such as single buttons that will mount on the wheel or behind the wheel?

I have a 2005 FX4 that came with the non-audio file 6 disc mp3. No special heat controls, just cruise on the wheel.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
i did this swap a couple years ago, since the LED lights on my original cruise control button burned out. in my opinion, it was a worth while swap. it doesnt cost too much to do, they are cheap switches. the new switches will have cruise features on the left, and radio/heat on the right.

to swap them, you will have to unplug battery, tund headlight switch on, and wait about 10 minutes. then you will have to remove the airbag, and steering wheel.

at that point you will be able to see the bolts to change the switches. this whole process doesnt really take long.

BUT, now is where you will slow down. you will more than likely need to run some wires to go from the new buttons to the stereo. there is a "clock spring" inside there where you will have to start the wire (i bought a pigtail from local FORD dealer so the wire would install into the factory connection). then that will have to go into your stereo harness.

you will need 1 wire to the radio functions. now, since you have manual heating, you "could" also use the heater buttons that you just installed as radio controllers also..... you would need to install an aftermarket SWIC *steering wheel interface controller) anyhow, and those extra buttons can be prgorammed, but you would need to run an additional wire through the clockspring.

i hope this all makes sence to you. i did some searching, and found all of the info i needed here on this site. its been a couple ears, so i dont remember all of the exact info you need, but if i remember correctly, the clockspring wiring is port 2 and 3 for the steering wheel controls.

try searching, and good luck!!

Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 AM
The buttons can not be added to a stock steering wheel. The steering wheels itself has to be replaced.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by shortride
The buttons can not be added to a stock steering wheel. The steering wheels itself has to be replaced.
Unfortunately, this is where you are wrong. if he already has buttons there (which he does, as he is concerned about his CC still working), then the buttons can be swapped out. the process is simple:
1- unplug battery
2- turn on headlight switch
3- wait 10 minutes
4- remove airbag assembly from steering wheel
5- pull steering wheel from column(puller not always needed.... i was able to pull mine off by hand)
6- remove original CC switches
7- install new CC/radio switches
9- install steering wheel
10- install airbag unit
11- re-connect battery

as it is right now, there are butons on both sides, all of which control the CC features. with the swap, the CC features are all controlled on the left side, and the right side then controls the radio/heater features.

since he has manual heating, then he will not be able to use the heating control swithes for anything (unless hooked up to an aftermarket SWIC, which he will need anyhow). with the new radio switches, you can control volume up and down, and skip from FM1/FM2/AM/CD, or skip tracks on a CD.

if he wants to, he can use the heater buttons to control other radio functions to his desire (they will be programmed for anything he wants when he sets up the unit). HOWEVER, this WILL require running an extra wire from the clockspring into the radio plug.

I ASSURE YOU, this CAN BE DONE.... i did it myself a couple years ago. i think the cost of the new switches was only like 45.00... they were actually cheaper than what it would cost to replace the original switches with CC only.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
matt is absolutely correct, I did the write-up on here about running the lariat switches on my truck back in 06 or 07 and it can be done.
Heres the thread

I have already spoken to pbrundage on the phone so he is set for doing the swap when time allows it.
Dont forget to post up your results Phil!

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Goodluck with the swap , I didn't know it was possible to do that. Figured it was buy a new wheel if someone wanted the audio controls. Learn something new everyday.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Ok.. It has been awhile and other projects and Snowmobile season took priority over getting this done. Here is my progress.

I was able to switch out my Factory Cruise buttons for Lariat buttons. What this initially did was allow me to have all of my cruise buttons on the left side of my wheel. And also have "Blank" radio and fan buttons on the right.

My head-unit is the Kenwood dnx6140, so I purchased the PAC SWI-JACK unit that wires directly to the kenwood (along with other brands listed on their site).

I had to get some wire terminals from my dealer and I used them to wire in the blank #2 and #3 pins under the clockspring.

I am now able to program my buttons to work my headunit. With a catch (that I am going to hopefully figure out).

#2 pin slot in the clockspring is for Aux Climate (the lower two buttons fan +- and temp +-). The #3 pin is for Aux Audio (the top two buttons vol +- and source/seek)

When all tied together to wire to the SWI-JACK, the SWI-JACK is giving a constant fast blink. When I unhook one wire or the other, it operates fine. I hope that PAC can help me and I can get all of the buttons working. If not, I will use the vol **** on the radio and use the Temp +- for tracks and Fan +- for folders.

Hooking up radio control to your wheel can absolutely be done.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Phil here is what i was thinking.
Its a bit more complicated than i originally thought
but this would be the proper way of merging both circuits into one.
Pic one shows the factory button setup. Notice the largest and smallest resistor values and their placement. This is the main reason the pac units dont like the pinned together circuits.

Name:  audiocontrols.jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  249.6 KB

Pic two shows how you could slice and splice the two circuits to make them one compatible circuit. they are all tied together in resistor order.

Name:  audiocontrols2.jpg
Views: 5187
Size:  258.5 KB

this final pic shows the same thing but with the resistors moved around to make a simpler and cleaner circuit.
Name:  audiocontrols3.jpg
Views: 5796
Size:  252.3 KB

Notice again how the last button on the fan feeds into the radio button side. This would be the best way to do this since you could pull and re-solder the resistors pretty easily and make the one connection simply enough.
this requires opening the buttons up and doing some stuff that could potentially ruin your buttons. Try at your own risk.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Audio Switchs.

Originally Posted by mattd17

I ASSURE YOU, this CAN BE DONE.... i did it myself a couple years ago. i think the cost of the new switches was only like 45.00... they were actually cheaper than what it would cost to replace the original switches with CC only.
So Where did you get the switches for 45 dollars? I really want to do this mod..
I know it is an old post but hopefully you are still on here.

Quick Reply: Add Audio Control Buttons to Steering Wheel to operate aftermarket HU