Aux-in tray help? With pic

Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnfields20
So this will only work on 07 stock radios? My 06 radio has the Aux button will it work?
Short answer is "no"...it will only work for '07 and up stereo's with the Line-In feature. For your '06, you will need a PIE adapter - FRD04-Aux with all the caveats as explained on their site:
http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=17&bc=no

However once, you get the PIE, you can wire it to the wiring harness then the tray as mentioned earlier, or you can rig your own connection (pretty easy). BTW, I have my old PIE for sale if you need one. Just PM me.

To do what I did, you need to replace your stereo with an '07 and up version. They were easily available on eBay. If you do this, get the audiophile version, so you can connect the OEM sub to it if you don't already have one.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is some useful step by step info on this for you guys with 2006's...

http://www.pragmaticutopia.com/content/view/230/125/

Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
Short answer is "no"...it will only work for '07 and up stereo's with the Line-In feature. For your '06, you will need a PIE adapter - FRD04-Aux with all the caveats as explained on their site:
http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=17&bc=no

However once, you get the PIE, you can wire it to the wiring harness then the tray as mentioned earlier, or you can rig your own connection (pretty easy). BTW, I have my old PIE for sale if you need one. Just PM me.

To do what I did, you need to replace your stereo with an '07 and up version. They were easily available on eBay. If you do this, get the audiophile version, so you can connect the OEM sub to it if you don't already have one.
You still got the PIE for sale?- I just want to connect my MP3 player to the stereo and not use one of those stupid cigar lighter FM gadgets.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 AM
If I cut the harness between the dash and the OEM harness, and I wire in a low to high level speaker converter and connect it to my Alpine aux. in will this work?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Sorry if this is redundant, but I have an '05 with an aux button HU and kind of leaped without looking and bought what is marked as an '07 factory HU and tray for $65 on ebay. Today I went looking for the cable that runs between the jack and the back of the radio only to be told that it's part of the main harness, *sigh*. So, I walked over to the service area and talked to the elec. technician. He basically told me to splice into the existing harness exactly as outlined in the diagram above.

Now, my question is, is this all I need to do to gain mp3 playback capability? Could I have done this with my '05 HU or is there some type of PIE built in to the '07 HU which allows this?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 PM
anyone?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigjhoov
Sorry if this is redundant, but I have an '05 with an aux button HU and kind of leaped without looking and bought what is marked as an '07 factory HU and tray for $65 on ebay. Today I went looking for the cable that runs between the jack and the back of the radio only to be told that it's part of the main harness, *sigh*. So, I walked over to the service area and talked to the elec. technician. He basically told me to splice into the existing harness exactly as outlined in the diagram above.

Now, my question is, is this all I need to do to gain mp3 playback capability? Could I have done this with my '05 HU or is there some type of PIE built in to the '07 HU which allows this?
Everything you need is in this thread...
In short, you need to either buy the harness (which is nothing than the 4-pin connector with four wires that you must connect to the factory harness, or buy the Metra connector separately. Here are the instructions that Todd sent sent me:

Part# 7L3Z15042A82AA Tray with line-in jack $28.01
Part# 6L3Z14588AA (not needed if you have sirius) Wiring harness $9.23
Part# 3U2Z14S411PRA (need 2 of these) Wiring connector $18.07 each

These part #'s and prices are from www.getfordparts.com and is the only place I get my ford stuff from. It is Tasca Ford in Rhode Island, they are super helpful and quick getting the stuff to you.
I believe you already ordered the tray and 1 of the connectors. The reason you need 2 of them is you need to remove the pins from the connector to snap into the wiring harness listed above. (actually, any loose Ford harness with pins will do. You may be able to get the four pins you need from an unused connection behind your radio, but that's your call). It may all sound confusing but it is really easy once you see it in front of you. I have included a basic wiring diagram to show where each wire goes to, and a picture of my finished harness when I was done. In the harness picture, the large gray connector to the far left connects to your radio, and the small black connector to the far right connects to the tray. The 2 in the middle would be for a factory sirius tuner. Now the wire harness I listed above (the $9.23 one) is actually the harness needed to connect factory sirius to your radio but it is the easier and cheaper route to also connect the line-in tray.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Could I have done this with my '05 HU or is there some type of PIE built in to the '07 HU which allows this?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 AM
does anyone have a pic of the 4 pin adapter and harness as is fits into the rear of the head unit, as I can not see any place to plug it

Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Connector Info

I stumbled upon your post looking for info about wpt-465. I thought that I would contribute back. I am a regular poster in the Ford Taurus Community.

Here are some connector views. Some of them are from justanswer.com And were posted for a 2011 Model Year.

C290a - Back of radio unit

--------------------
C290b

--------------------
C290c

---------------------
C2401- Aux (3.5mm) Plug

---------------------
Aux plug to pin connector. Part info from the (real) manufacturer.

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1326...RQPN=1326964-1

I hope you found this info helpful. I know I found your topic enlightening.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I would also like to state that the aux connector is a world spec called "GET 0.64". By TE connectivity. Molex calls is MX64. Delphi and some other connector companies make them under different trade names.

You can find that pigtail in a number of places on Ford Products.

It's also found at the center high mount stop lamp, of a 2002 - 2004 Taurus /Sable. The pins (terminals) are only common with other get 0.64 connectors.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:39 PM
tmd07,

Obtained storage tray with line-in AUX jack and OEM connector (see photo), to install in vehicle (08 Ford F-150), that did not come with this option. Do I need to splice wires from connector to radio harness for AUX to function? If so, which color wires?
Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by iFoMo; 02-25-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aux-in tray help? With pic