Harley-Davidson

Follow Along as I Black-Out my 2006 HD

Old 12-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow Along as I Black-Out my 2006 HD

I own a 2000 F150 4.6L 5-Speed w/196K on it. Great truck that has played hard and worked hard, but this thread is about my new truck I just purchased.

It's a 2006 and without ruining any future value of the truck here is what I have planned.

First, the obligatory original photos, taken just a day ago

1. The rear window and backseat windows will get limo tint. The front window will get a 5" inch strip at the top.

2. I have purchased smoked GTS headlight/tail light covers, that will be used primarily for pics or some country driving during the day.

2a. I will also add a smoked LED 3rd brakelight.

3. Some of you will cringe, but there will be a heavy dose of Plasti-Dip. But that's what makes these changes reversible and un-damaging to the value of the truck.
- Wheels (solid black)
- All F150/HD Emblems (solid black)
- Tail pipe tips
- chrome strip on fake running boards

4. Plan on adding some Bilstein 5100s up front for a 2" level.

5. When the Coopers wear out and that should be a while, I will probably go to some Nitto Terra Grapplers. The price of the 22" Terra Grapplers are CRAZY HIGH !!!!

6. This could be the only damaging thing I plan on doing, but I just can't get used to the vinyl Harley Davidson orange decal. I plan on removing it and adding new vinyl decals. The first will go basically exactly where the current Harley Davidson words are laid out. It will be 2" high letters, 36" long in slipstream font (black) to give that ghost, fading away look. The second decal will go below that. Same font in black also. It will say F150 in 4" letters, 16" long.

7. I add a new HD steering wheel cover today. Ordered a HD keychain too, lol...

8. Today I added a 6.2" 2din Radio/GPS/Bluetooth/DVD/CD/Camera/etc.. Will get the backup camera installed in a few days as well as get some pics of the new system.

9. I will be adding a 20" LED light bar in the opening of the valance.

10. A set of weather-tech black floor mats are in route as I type.

11. I have decals coming to put on the grille emblem, tailgate emblem and steering wheel emblem. They say Ford in Chrome with a black background.

12. I also am adding a 5" stubby antenna.

13. I ordered the DOOD grille. If it doesn't look good then I will most likely sell it and plasti-dip the existing billet grille.

14. Would like to add some auto fold down running boards in the future, but that is a way off. Not sure about these or nerf bars and how they might co-exist with the fake ones on the truck. Haven't looked close, but I can probably take them off and add them back if I ever decide to sell.

15. Would like to add a nice foldup tonneau cover.

16. I will eventually upgrade the stock speakers too...

LOL, that is all my OCD mind can remember at the moment, but that's a damn good start.... lots of parts in route. will update with pics as I get things added or modified.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:29 AM
dang-it, I knew I forgot something.

17. Would love to add this hood.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Why do you say "Fake" when referring to the step bars? I'm 385lbs and use mine as a step when I get into my truck. There's nothing "Fake" about them.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by machine090767
Why do you say "Fake" when referring to the step bars? I'm 385lbs and use mine as a step when I get into my truck. There's nothing "Fake" about them.
hmm, strange.

do we have the same bar?

mine has what i would call a toe slot. you have about 2"x2" to stick a toe into. not much leverage and difficult on the toes.

to be honest, i can't believe ford would even call this a step or running board.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:12 AM
I removed and sold those chrome side valances. I bought a set of chrome ford nerf bars.
Also my truck didn't come with the orange stripes. Sounds like you have a pretty decent and expensive plan. Post pics.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by 07massHD
I removed and sold those chrome side valances. I bought a set of chrome ford nerf bars.
Also my truck didn't come with the orange stripes. Sounds like you have a pretty decent and expensive plan. Post pics.
thanks, i will most likely remove them and save for future reversal.

Did some of the trucks not come with the stripes when new? if so, there shouldn't be any de-value if i remove them.

plenty of pics to come

Old 12-24-2015, 09:51 AM
one question maybe someone here can help me with.

my driver side seat heater will turn on, but the leds go out rather quickly and it stops heating. any ideas on where to look for the trouble?

thanks

Old 12-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by fords-rock
hmm, strange.

do we have the same bar?

mine has what i would call a toe slot. you have about 2"x2" to stick a toe into. not much leverage and difficult on the toes.

to be honest, i can't believe ford would even call this a step or running board.
Hmmm... My F150 has the chrome ones which are connected to the frame of the truck. they support my weight with no indication that they are going to fail.
I'm surprised ford put those "fake ones" on such a nice truck as yours. I have the same style (but in chrome) as the step bars in your pic of the F150 with the double hood scoop. It looks like yours are mounted way too close to the body of the truck.

Last edited by machine090767; 12-24-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by machine090767
Hmmm... My F150 has the chrome ones which are connected to the frame of the truck. they support my weight with no indication that they are going to fail.
I'm surprised ford put those "fake ones" on such a nice truck as yours. I have the same style (but in chrome) as the step bars in your pic of the F150 with the double hood scoop. It looks like yours are mounted way too close to the body of the truck.

oh, are they adjustable? maybe that's my issue. (EDIT: nope, just went and looked. not adjustable and not useful)

do you have a picture of your truck? i believe you have different running boards.

i have a Harley Edition 2006, maybe thats the difference.

mine are for looks, not use...

Last edited by fords-rock; 12-24-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:21 PM
some pics from the dealer website

a pic of my HD steering wheel cover

a picture of the finished trim work on the 2din radio... got my sub-woofer harness which is wired in stereo. radio only has 1 sub RCA jack. need to go back to the audio store and talk with the dude...

came out nice !!!!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:27 PM
18. Want some Bushwacker fender flares also

19. Can't forget window deflector/shields

Old 12-25-2015, 07:53 PM
under dash blue leds installed and hooked up to the courtesy lights.

its the black wire with sky blue striping under the door sill beside the driver. positive attaches to that wire and i just grounded the negative behind the driver kick panel on a bolt screwed into the body/dash framing. awaiting the arrival of my blue leds for the dome lights

i ordered 4 led strips that will probably go under each "fake" running board and the other two under the bed rails.

all will come on with the dome lights and an open door.

The MURDER began tonight. passenger side F150 HD emblem/badge is the first to go...

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!

Old 12-25-2015, 09:27 PM
i also cut and taped the wire that connects the circuit for the annoying constant beeping while the key is turned to accessory and the door is open.

i like to jam a little while i work on the truck.

the wire can be found under the steering column. it's black with a pink stripe. i will crimp it back together if i ever sell it.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:47 PM
does anyone have any idea what this is?

mounted under the dash in front of the driver. ties into wires down under the door sill. and i didn't take a picture because it was dark, but it was also tied into wires under the steering column.

pretty sure its not functioning whatever it is?

ideas?

Name:  IMG_5709_zpsyujbkbox.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  372.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5712_zpsmbokcvfe.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  300.3 KB

Last edited by fords-rock; 12-25-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:24 PM
passenger side emblem = check
tail pipe tips = check

decals removed = check

humid here today and on the verge of rain so no more plasti-dip work today

truck is definitely starting to look more aggressive, imo...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Follow Along as I Black-Out my 2006 HD