“Holy Grail” Christmas Gifts....???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
“Holy Grail” Christmas Gifts....???

So when you were a kid, what were your most anticipated Christmas gifts?

When I was a kid (mid-to-late 1970’s) I had big slot car and train layouts in my basement, so for me the toys I was always hoping for the most were new cars for my AFX/Aurora set-up or new rail cars for my Lionel train.

Once I got into high school, my wishes turned to Craftsmen tools that would gradually build my arsenal. Virtually all of the tools I got back in the day are still with me, so I’d say those were pretty good investments on my parent’s part.....

Old 12-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
When I was a kid in the early to late 90's I always wanted video games, bicycle, and clothes... In the 00's I wanted tools, trucks, and to be somewhat independent. My parents bought be a nice Craftsmen ball bearing (when they first came out) tool chest, along with a 500+ piece Craftsmen professional tool set. Along with all the fixins.

15 years later, I still got all the tools (never lost 1 piece!!!) and all my Dad's tools because he passed away. So I keep the one my Dad bought me in the house, and my Dad's tools stay out in the garage/shop. I got more tools than I know what to do with. I got sockets from tiny to gigantic 1" drive. Same goes for open end wrenches... I got all kinds of sizes, lengths, and shapes. Buying tools is an endless epidemic for me. Heck, I mentioned in a post the other day about a brake line flaring tool... saying I don't need one... guaranteed in a year or two, one will be in my tool collection! lol

I too had a train set, and still do. I took it apart and reboxed it to keep it safe from losing pieces and getting damaged. If and when I'll ever have kids, I'd love to set it back up. Speaking of which, there used to be hobby train shops all over my area, now they are practically non-existent. Sad to see this.

You know, despite what people say about Craftsmen, they still are a top choice for me. I just wish there were Sears stores around for me to do "tool" shopping again. Miss those days. Most folks in my neck of the woods are starting to get away from Snap-on/Matco because they are just too expensive when compared to Craftsmen Professional. Especially for kids going out into the work force where the shop requires you to buy your own tools. Unless you want to take out a loan the size of a small mortgage on tools, those so called "professional" tools are way out of reach of newbies.

I can't vouch for Kobalt or Ridgid tools, but they seem like they get the job done too. Heck even the HF specials (Pittsburgh) that I got have lasted abuse, and it's easy to get a new one - walk right into the store and get a new one. I guess that will be one selling point that is now going to hurt Craftsmen -- no Sears stores...

Last edited by ManualF150; 12-22-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added more tools nonsense............
Old 12-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Yes - back in my day Snap-on really wasn’t a viable option for a kid since they were difficult to even get unless you worked in a shop. Now one of my nephews has a Snap-on route, but I have more tools than I will ever use so the need to upgrade or replace really isn’t there. Plus, the sentimental value of all my Craftsmen stuff - most of which were Christmas gifts from my parents or purchased with my own hard-earned money during a time of my life when dollars were scarce - far out weighs any “vanity points” I might earn by replacing my serviceable old tools with newer high-end brands.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Sears sold out the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker, so you can buy them at Ace Hardware and Lowe's now, among other places. In 2010, most of the Craftsman tool production was moved to China, but supposedly they are going to be bringing a lot of them back here.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:12 PM

glc, same thing I heard...

I got a lot of what I call "transition tools" from Craftsmen. I can tell the ones that were made in the USA and ones that are made in China... some are even stamped it too. All my Dad's originals are USA obviously, but some in my new sets are stamped either made in USA or China. Probably 95% of the ones on the market now are China. Would be cool to see them be made back home here... like they should've been all this time.

I just wish there was place I could take my broken Craftsmen tools (if they break that is) to get a new one without mailing it in... shipping kills on some of these heavy tools.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 AM
glc
Looks to me like the Craftsman warranty is honored at any store that sells Craftsman. Take them to Ace or Lowe's.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:35 AM

I'll have to try it. First gotta break something. LOL

Last time I broke a Craftsmen tool was 2 years ago and that was me using it like an idiot. AKA using the wrong tool for the job...

Good to know if it's true.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Back in the early eighties when I was still in high school, I bought a set of craftsman metric combination wrenches at a sears store, got home with them and noticed they were stamped made in japan. Still have some of them, and they are better quality and more precise than the made in USA ones from back then.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 12-23-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ManualF150
Speaking of which, there used to be hobby train shops all over my area, now they are practically non-existent. Sad to see this.
I agree it's sad but the younger generation has no interest in a low tech toy like a train set. Back in the seventies there used to be a train store in every suburb and several on the west side of Cleveland. Now there are three to cover cover the west side, all the western burbs, and out into the next county, and two of them have merged with other hobby stores to stay afloat. As the older generation (the ones who still buy train sets) dies off, train stores will eventually dry up completely. Then the only place you will be able to buy them is ebay or amazon.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ddellwo
far out weighs any “vanity points” I might earn by replacing my serviceable old tools with newer high-end brands.
Any one remember "buffalo tools" sold mostly at swap meets? About 35 years ago I bought a buffalo tools brand 3 piece set of 3/8 drive extensions for about 5 bucks and I still have two of the three. I remember my uncle telling me that when it comes to swap meet brand tools if they last one time before it breaks you got your money's worth. For the average person who tinkers at home like we do, craftsman or pittsburg tools are more than adequate. But having owned and still own snap on, MAC, matco and other high tools you tend to depend on them if your a professional like I was 25 years ago. The high end stuff tend to break less often than the cheaper craftsman/pittsburg stuff does. And when your starting off in the business, you can't afford to have redundant tools as a back up in case of breakage so most newbies spend the money of the tool truck brands as they can afford it.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:04 AM
glc
Yeah, Buffalo tools are like the Harbor Freight cheapies. Fine for occasional light duty use. Harbor Freight hand tools have a lifetime warranty too. Even if they claim abuse and don't honor the warranty, they are so cheap you just toss it and buy another one.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:40 PM
Back in Bluejay and Paw’s day, the hot Christmas gift was probably a barrel hoop with a stick.....

Old 12-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Got the stick. Family could not afford the hoop.

We were very poor and I mostly got clothes. I grew so fast, I always looked forward to getting new clothes. We also got oranges, apples and an assortment of nuts.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:35 PM

Bluejay, that explains why you are so nutty!

Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yep, I still eat lot of nuts.

Quick Reply: “Holy Grail” Christmas Gifts....???