All You Old Farts Still Alive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while since I've been here. Can I upload photos right to the site or do I need to place them on photo bucket first and then provide the link?
I'm living in Whitehorse, the capital, about 30,000 people. Amazing place in the summer.
About a 2 hour drive to Skagway, Alaska.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:04 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
You can post directly to the site now. Click the insert image icon, then browse your device.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
HEY!!! I have a fabulous idea! Since you now live in the gold rich Yukon, how about sending me a 10 pound sample box of that gold? By watching all of the gold mining shows from up there, shouldn't take you but a few minutes out in the back yard. Ya see, the wife feeds wild birds and at the rate of 150lbs a week of milo. Please help the poor, poor birds by sending gold samples. The more the better the poor, poor birds will eat.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Labnerd
HEY!!! I have a fabulous idea! Since you now live in the gold rich Yukon, how about sending me a 10 pound sample box of that gold? By watching all of the gold mining shows from up there, shouldn't take you but a few minutes out in the back yard. Ya see, the wife feeds wild birds and at the rate of 150lbs a week of milo. Please help the poor, poor birds by sending gold samples. The more the better the poor, poor birds will eat.
Its the gold that brought me here! I moved to Dawson City in 2014 to be a mining inspector for the Klondike; which was a lot of fun.....meeting all the char actors from the TV shows and being chased around by bears and TV cameras; but met my honey in Whitehorse, so now live here....funny how life works sometimes.

There is a pile of gold up here and lots of people looking for it but a handful of guys really have it down and know what they're doing.

When I was inspecting, I got to know some of the guys and they invited me into their gold room' to give me a tour...which is really quite an honour. The gold room is the place where they keep all their gold in various stages of processing. I held a dinner plated once with fine gold highly processed and the single plate was worth nearly $400,000 USD...….its mind boggling the amount of money a handful of guys are pulling out of the ground.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Habibi
All you olde farts still alive?
Checks pulse.

Uh … wait, it must be here somewhere.

(Can’t find it because over the years Kobi has gone Full Orson Wells - and yeah I know, as they say, you should NEVER go Full Orson Wells but I’m afraid I have. Gives up trying to find a pulse.)

Pretty sure I’m still alive.

I read that the the new electric F150 is being called the Lightning. Made me think about this forum and wondered if those of us who were lightning owners were upset about the use of the name (I wasn’t), but couldn’t find any posts about that. So checked some of what’s on this site now and saw this “old farts” post. Cheers to all y’alls who are still breathing.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kobiashi
I read that the the new electric F150 is being called the Lightning. Made me think about this forum and wondered if those of us who were lightning owners were upset about the use of the name (I wasn’t), but couldn’t find any posts about that.
Personally, not a fan of Ford bastardizing their iconic models with electric vehicles - first Mustang and now Lightning.......😡

Old 05-21-2021, 09:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Good to see you alive and well Kobi.

As to the F150 electric being called a Lightning, I think that is poor taste by Ford. Better to call it something else and leave the Lightning history alone.

The would have been better off calling it the F-110v, maybe Sparky the E-truck.
Or how about Ford Utility for Contractors, or just use the acronym for short.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2021, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by serotta
Good to see you alive and well Kobi.

As to the F150 electric being called a Lightning, I think that is poor taste by Ford. Better to call it something else and leave the Lightning history alone.

The would have been better off calling it the F-110v, maybe Sparky the E-truck.
Or how about Ford Utility for Contractors, or just use the acronym for short.
Serotta - good to see ya dude.

From a marketing standpoint I totally get Lightning, it's perfect and using it will only upset a relatively small group at most, so numbers wise it's not a negative. (However, using Mustang for a SUV-ish thing is a completely different story)

However ... "Sparky" is awesome. Instead of the stylized Lightning name I've got just the logo!

Last edited by kobiashi; 05-21-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
If I could be serious for a moment - I'd like for all vehicles to move toward electrification. But I think an all-electric truck is not really practical for some people (like me). I use my f150 for hauling and to pull our camping trailer mostly to boondock locations around the US. It would be fine for local hauling, but would not have the range, or the recharge capability in a National Forest campground. So, I would prefer vehicle manufacturers devote their efforts on hybrids instead for now. I drive a hybrid car, and it has a 500 mile range and gives me over 40 mpg. It has great acceleration and is very comfortable on long trips. A hybrid truck would work for me too.

An all electric truck is certainly practical for fleet use that involves only local driving or even consumer use when long trips are not made. Naturally, some of us will miss the sound of the V-8s that most people love. For those, I suggest they add an engine sound noise maker to satisfy that need. At 80 years old (a genuine old fart), I prefer quiet.

- Jack

Old 05-21-2021, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
If I could be serious for a moment - I'd like for all vehicles to move toward electrification. But I think an all-electric truck is not really practical for some people (like me). I use my f150 for hauling and to pull our camping trailer mostly to boondock locations around the US. It would be fine for local hauling, but would not have the range, or the recharge capability in a National Forest campground. So, I would prefer vehicle manufacturers devote their efforts on hybrids instead for now. I drive a hybrid car, and it has a 500 mile range and gives me over 40 mpg. It has great acceleration and is very comfortable on long trips. A hybrid truck would work for me too.

An all electric truck is certainly practical for fleet use that involves only local driving or even consumer use when long trips are not made. Naturally, some of us will miss the sound of the V-8s that most people love. For those, I suggest they add an engine sound noise maker to satisfy that need. At 80 years old (a genuine old fart), I prefer quiet.

- Jack
Jack, I'm with you 100%, but that kind of rhetoric on the forum doesn't elicit knee jerk reaction and increased readership, hence my suggestions. I could actually fit an electric F150 into my normal routine, with the exception of the rumored price. The suggested pricing I've heard is reasonable, but others I speak with say expect a 10 or 20k addition for each model in the F150 range. I already thought my 2017 Platinum was borderline out of reach at 60K. An 80k Platinum is not going to be in my garage while I'm alive, not because I wouldn't lust after it, but because I couldn't afford it especially with all the other alternatives available.
Now if ICE vehicles go away completely, or become priced out of the market then my attitude might change. Of course, at 75 they are running out of time to convince me to buy one.

Oh, and before you reach out and try to delete this because it's off topic..... we are old, we are alive....... and we still fart, so we satisfy the subjects of the title.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Nah - I'd be hard pressed to delete any of your posts, sir! And, I thought your suggestion of naming the EV F150 "Sparky", was right on!

I know what you mean about running out of time - I wonder if my truck and car are the last two vehicles I'll ever buy?

- Jack

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by serotta
Of course, at 75 ...
75?! Suddenly I do not feel so old.
Well, actually I do feel old but that's because I am grossly out of shape. (Sitting around the house during the plague hasn't done me any favors).
Speaking of being in or out of shape, you still riding bikes at your advanced age? (You know I'm messing with you, right? No offense is actually intended).

Old 05-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Global Moderator &

I ride a bike now on then. Do hiking in the mountains too. Stop sitting around the house and get out there!

- Jack

Old 05-23-2021, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by kobiashi
75?! Suddenly I do not feel so old.
Well, actually I do feel old but that's because I am grossly out of shape. (Sitting around the house during the plague hasn't done me any favors).
Speaking of being in or out of shape, you still riding bikes at your advanced age? (You know I'm messing with you, right? No offense is actually intended).

Don't ride much any longer, the hips apparently think my life is over so there is no power to climb hills. I still walk 4 or 5 miles daily, but at a sedate pace for sure.
No offense taken. I used to just jump over a fence, but now I circle around them.

It's golf I hate having to give up. I finally got to where I could keep the ball in the fairway...... 100 yd drives very seldom leave the fairway. Now I can lose it in the fairway because I can't see where the hell it went. I hear there's a company working on a GPS imbedded golf ball, but then I'd have to swim to find most of mine.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:29 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Habibi
There's gotta be a few of you who passed on?
If bluejay still alive, hes gotta by 102 by now lol

Whats up homies?

oh snap, look who it is

how ya been

Quick Reply: All You Old Farts Still Alive?