What would you do with a 1.0L EcoBoost engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:04 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What would you do with a 1.0L EcoBoost engine?

One of the HP writers just posted about how the 1.0-liter just won another Engine of the Year award, and I think that's rad. I'd love to see a kit to put an engine like this in an old MG or something tiny and vintage... What project would you use one on?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Many years ago I went to a country high school. We had a shop that you could build just about anything. We built horse trailers, engines, etc. We also built mini-dragsters. We used the Wisconsin V4 engines and the Renault rear axle but I don't remember the 3 speed manual transmission we used. One would smoke the 9.50x 15 tires that we ran on them but they didn't weigh much either. They weren't necessarily fast but a blast to drive. I'd put one of these 1.0 engines in a mini-dragster just for the fun factor. Might not even beat out a stock F150 in the quarter mile but it'd still be a hoot to do. I guess you could call it a poor mans dragster. After the cost of the engine, the rest would be relatively cheap.Wonder how a CVT would work in one?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should make a marine version of this thing.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Many years ago I went to a country high school. We had a shop that you could build just about anything. We built horse trailers, engines, etc. We also built mini-dragsters. We used the Wisconsin V4 engines and the Renault rear axle but I don't remember the 3 speed manual transmission we used. One would smoke the 9.50x 15 tires that we ran on them but they didn't weigh much either. They weren't necessarily fast but a blast to drive. I'd put one of these 1.0 engines in a mini-dragster just for the fun factor. Might not even beat out a stock F150 in the quarter mile but it'd still be a hoot to do. I guess you could call it a poor mans dragster. After the cost of the engine, the rest would be relatively cheap.Wonder how a CVT would work in one?
I bet you could make a mini dragster plenty fast with this thing... A Lotus Elise has around 140 hp, comes in at 1950 lbs., and can do zero to 60 in 5.1. You could likely make the dragster light as hell, so you could wind up with a real scorcher!

Old 07-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Late 70's ford courier

Restored body , clean paint, modern tires and rims 4 wheel disc and a 6 speed

Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
Late 70's ford courier

Old 07-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
Late 70's ford courier

Or just get a late 70's mazda pickup, that's what a courier was anyway.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:59 AM
Leave it in the Street legal Ford Formula Car and go show the motorcycle guys on the Dragon what a car can do

Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM
True. But ford brandng, name on the tail gate would be a nice touch to tie the ford engine with a ford body. Plenty more cool Mazda engines to put n a Mazda truck. Also it is the lightest older ford vehicle I would take the time to put a 125 hp motor in. That I would drive. No thanks on mustang 2 or the pinto.

What do you think would be better?

Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would I do with the new 1 L eco-boost?

I would wrap a chain around that 1 L eco-boost and tie it to a trashed Chevy 350 in.³ motor and take it to the deepest part of the nearest lake that I live by. Push it overboard and go have a beer.

All this talk and development about forced induction on smaller motors to get bigger numbers is fine in theory. Give me a traditional big block V-8 any day of the week and then I'll put a blower on it and show you some real numbers. The old adage is go big or go home, and displacement still wins.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by deerhunter7979
I would wrap a chain around that 1 L eco-boost and tie it to a trashed Chevy 350 in.³ motor and take it to the deepest part of the nearest lake that I live by. Push it overboard and go have a beer.

All this talk and development about forced induction on smaller motors to get bigger numbers is fine in theory. Give me a traditional big block V-8 any day of the week and then I'll put a blower on it and show you some real numbers. The old adage is go big or go home, and displacement still wins.
The manufacturers have to develop and sell smaller engines like the ecoboost to meet the stricter govt fuel economy standards. You will never see a N/A big block in a mass production vehicle again, Maybe in a limited production model like a race car or something, but not a street car.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:52 PM
one night when you are looking just to be looking, look at the old google machine.

search for what the old big block muscle cars make on modern chassis dynos/ once that shotguns down your dream, look up what the current crate motors like the 572 chevy and 502 are making rear wheel hp.

the new stuff is smoking fast, consistant, get descent mpg, has 200 mph capabilty, traction control, great brakes hard to beat.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 PM
What is really bad is my 6.2 is still the biggest gas motor Ford makes and it is 66.3 HP per Liter, and that is a lot more than my first 400 CI did in my 72 Ranchero, it was a whopping 26.5 HP per liter.
That 1 Liter makes old tech look really bad right now.