Thievery in the Woods.... - F150online Forums

Thievery in the Woods....

Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 AM

Thievery in the Woods....

I've posted this on several sites. Just lookin' for reactions....
That's right, I got hit. One of my Redneck blinds was broken into, and two of my trail cameras were hit. The cameras were in security boxes lag bolted to a tree and padlocked. But first a short description. I live in Delaware, but hunt on my property in West Virginia. It's a spot my dad bought back in the early eighty's for hunting. It's actually four pieces of property that we refer to as Two plots. Each "plot" has two adjoining pieces of ground. The first set of adjoining ground is about 33 acres. That plot has our Mobile home on it. It's the adjoining piece to this property that has one of the blinds, and the two trail cameras that were hit. The other plot is another two pieces of ground that is about 32 acres. It's actually located on the other side of the mountain, but the two different "plots" actually meet at one corner down in a hollow. Now about the "Thievery". The blind is situated on a high spot on the property at the top of the mountain. The only trail access back to it (other than walking up and thru the woods) is our private trail that has a security cable. It comes off a common road that goes around the top of the mountain. It's only suppose to be for property owners, but you know how that goes? The blind is about 350 yds. back. I believe it was someone from down below that broke into it. You can see where they tried to pry the door open. Luckily they didn't try too hard cause the damage is minimal. They broke the handle and forced it open. I can get the key into the lock but it will only turn 1/4 of the way. Luckily the blind was empty. All that was in there was a wooden kitchen chair and a cushion, and a bucket. I empty it after hunting season just in case.....Both the trail cameras were StealthCam Archers Choice's. Each camera was in a security box that was lag bolted too a nice size tree, and locked with a Padlock. The first camera was only 20yds. away, and was facing towards the blind. The other camera was about 100yds. away, on the trail, and had the blind just in view. Here's the strange part. They cut the padlock, removed the camera, took out the SD Card, shut the camera off, and put it back in the security box. If it were you, and you were a thief, and a hunter? Wouldn't you just steal the cameras? I had the cameras in security boxes because I had one stolen several years ago. It was strapped to a tree just as you enter the trail from the common road. My conclusion? Had to be someone who knew me. They walked back, or up thru the woods. Broke into the blind. Saw they were caught, went out and came back with bolt cutters, hacksaw, etc., to get at the cameras. But because they knew me, for some reason left the cameras intact. So that actually gives me a short suspect list. So, what do I do now? Until I get back I removed the one security box. The one facing the blind I put the camera back in, changed the lock and added a Python cable. Hopefully it will still be there when I get back. I wrote RedNeck blinds and they have sent me a replacement handle with lock, for free! It's a lot beefier. I will be putting it on soon. I also devised a way to add a Deadbolt to the blind. Yea, if someone really wants in they can just break a window. For the cameras, about the only thing I can really do is get a better padlock. I did some research and learned a lot about locks, lock picking, lock bumping, etc.. It came down to Commando Locks (which I preferred), but ended up going with some Masterlock Pro Series locks. These have a shackle shroud and are the new BumpStop locks. Hopefully they will fair better. so there you have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Thievery in the Woods....-17may23_0019aw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-15oct17_0010aw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17may23_0012aw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17may23_0021aw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17may23_0018aw.jpg  

Thievery in the Woods....-17june11_0003w.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17june11_0004w.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17may23_0010baaw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17may23_0010bbaw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-lockbox.jpg  

Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Be nice to have the cameras transmitting to the internet and catch the turds. Probably no way to do that at that location.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 AM

You're right about having a wireless camera. Service isn't that bad thou. I have a plain old flip phone. Verizon service. It is a bit patchy but usually no problems with calls. But when using my laptop and trying to get on the internet, well, yea....I just use a Verizon hotspot thing. I would love to do that but the cameras are Expensive. Cheapest I've found is $250.00, then purchasing service, etc.. I would need more than one, really. Bushnell looks like the best deal. Best price I can find for one their Wireless cams is $253.00. Pay as you go service directly to Bushnell starting at $9.95 a month. Also looking into just a wifi camera that I can put up high on a tree (like 10 feet) and access with my laptop or Spypoint Geopad.

Last edited by Scarlet; 06-18-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:20 AM

My money says it was kids who knew enough about hunting to realize that the value of the camera to a hunter was the info on the card -- not the camera itself. If they were true "bad kids" they would have taken the cameras -- this was probably just a boy fueled by alcohol that was trying to show off to his buddies!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

In regards to that lock you upgraded to, I haven't seen a lock that will hold up to a cordless 4.5" angle grinder with a cut off wheel. But on the bright side, they would have to be pretty determined to drag a 150 angle grinder out there just to cut your lock.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Yup. You're right. Anybody who really wants in, is gonna get in. But how many guys are gonna be trekking thru the woods with something like that, looking to break into something? I'm located on private land on a mountain top, surrounded by private land. There is only one access road back in off the state road. Then the lane going up the mountain starts at the bottom of the hill on my property. Besides me there are four other land owners up there. My neighbor is the only year round resident. But one other owner has a young son who has been living there since last summer. He does have "friends" who come up to party, and a few of those live at the base of the mountain. That's where my suspect list starts....I figure they walked back and saw my stuff. Then went out to get what they needed to break in and get at the cameras. But why not just steal them?
A few pics. First one is from the GoPro I have mounted on my Buggy. I'm heading to the trail from our Trailer. The access lane coming up is about 1/4 mile to the bend. The next pic is from a trail cam I have placed at the entrance to my trail road. It sits back a ways off of the lane, but locals do know it's there. Then the main suspect vehicle. It comes back several times. Then a couple pics of my trailer. It's about another 1/4 from the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Thievery in the Woods....-16nov23_0008bw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-16nov23_0010bw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17jan16_0076cw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17jan16_0078dw.jpg   Thievery in the Woods....-17may21_0001aw.jpg  

Thievery in the Woods....-17may22_0035aw.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet; 06-19-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

All I can say is it looks more and more like some one who knows you and knows what you had up there and where they were. A total random thief would just take the cameras.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM

If it happens again I'd put a second cheap camera up that watches the blind or known camera. Make this one as hidden as possible so you can catch the bastard in the act. Not many people would expect to have two cameras facing each other.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Yup, your both right. I plan to go ahead and put the original cameras back in the same area but with the better locks. Redneck was nice enough to send me an updated handle for the blind at no charge. So it will go on the blind with my Deadbolt set up. Hopefully this will make it a little tougher on them if they decide to **ck with me again. Then I'm gonna place the wireless camera up high enough that it's out of sight but close enough to do it's job. Thanks for your assessments and suggestions....
Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM

The other option would be to hook up a claymore mine to a tree close to your camera with the trigger linked the the camera door. It might be a little bit messy but you'll catch your thief!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM

If I was the "perp" I would have been more creative and replaced your SD cards with ones loaded-up with images of '70's era gay **** stars in various "action scenes"......

Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddellwo View Post
If I was the "perp" I would have been more creative and replaced your SD cards with ones loaded-up with images of '70's era gay **** stars in various "action scenes"......

Soooo... You just "happen" to have a bunch of vintage gay **** laying around?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
Hey -- if you're going to "punk" someone, punk'em good....!!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
He's been watching the same videos for the last 40+ years.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 AM

LMAO

Search this Thread