NYC Vacation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NYC Vacation Advice

So I'm taking the kids (8 & 14) to NYC this summer while on vacation. NY isn't our destination, but we want to swing by and do the tourist thing. Never been there and will plan on having one solid, complete day to hit a couple sights, but that's flexible. Thinking Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldg, and Trade Center memorial, plus whatever may be convenient to that area or Manhattan.

So...looking for ANY advice at all. Probably advice on where to stay (safe/good area; I do NOT know my way around), how to get there, things of that nature. Should I park outside the city somewhere and train it in and out type thing? Can I drive fairly easily to a certain area and park and get around on public transit, etc, etc??

Don't really know what questions to ask, so I'll take any and all advice or opinions on this topic. Thanks guys.

Also any tips or advice on where you can and can't conceal carry? I have an app to look up NY before I go, but I'll still take advice.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would stay out in NJ or CT on one of the commuter train lines. Hotels in Manhattan are frightfully expensive, as is parking. Once in NYC, use the subway to get around.

You cannot carry in NYC, open or concealed, without a NYC permit, which you can't get. Out of state permits are not valid, NY State permits aren't even valid. Military on official duties can't even carry without special permission. Leave your weapons unloaded, locked in a box in the trunk of your car back at the hotel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I got back last week for a trip from west of San Antonio to Charleston SC, then to Hendersonville NC, then Atlanta, then home. While going thru Florida I was running at night but it was still early. I stopped off in Crestview Fla to stay over night. I stay at a place called America's Best Value Inn. Looked just like an old Best Western. The place was nice, clean, and apparently was an old Best western. In Charleston I stayed at a Best Western and the rooms were identical down to the toilet seat. Same furniture, bed, frig, microwave, etc. but the Best Western was 3 times more money- 60 bucks compared to 185. Might see if there are any on your way and take a look at the place online. All of them I looked at as I drove by on the trip seemed to be freshly remodeled. Considering I never heard of one, it was a dandy find and they're everywhere it seems.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM
I was just in San Antonio last week for work Jim! I'll check that out.

George...just checked a Holiday Inn Express in lower Manhattan...$225 a night!!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:53 PM
glc
$225 a night and I bet at least $40 a day for parking.........

Old 04-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Years ago a few fellow Air Guardsmen and myself rented a car and drove from Otis AFB on Cape Cod to downtown Manhattan on a quick trip. We took the Grey Line tour of the city and packed as much as we could see in one day. It was well worth it because no way we could have done it on our own. The next day we took the subway from Rockefeller Center all the way to Coney Island and back. Don't think we could ever have done that much sightseeing in two days. After that we drove back to Otis AFB in time to report for duty Monday morning. Mind you this was back in the mid 70's so it's a possibility things have changed a bit!!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Coney Island in June of 1974. Don't know how I ever passed inspection with that hair...must have done a good job packing it under my cap!!

Old 04-09-2017, 12:39 AM
Yea, $40-$50 a day for self parking. But, I'm hearing from some buddys on another forum that those types of places with that pricing is self park with pretty large, car friendly spots. I have been warned to stay clear of ANY valet parking in the city.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Yea, $40-$50 a day for self parking. But, I'm hearing from some buddys on another forum that those types of places with that pricing is self park with pretty large, car friendly spots. I have been warned to stay clear of ANY valet parking in the city.
You might want to call the lot first and verify this. If you plan on driving your truck into the city it will be TIGHT! When I go to Chicago it can be hard to get in and out of the parking decks, I'm sure NYC is probably worse. There was one place where the width of my wheels was equal to the width better the curb and the lane divider. Luckily, it was only a few inches tall so I could just straddle it when going between levels.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 AM
glc
Can I assume you will be taking the car, not the truck? I'd advise that, there are a lot of roads in the NYC area where trucks are not permitted.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Yup...taking the Focus. But you guys know me...it might as well be a Ferrari to me...it's still my car!

Old 04-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks to this post i know where not to go for vacation

Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You cannot carry in NYC, open or concealed, without a NYC permit, which you can't get. Out of state permits are not valid, NY State permits aren't even valid. Military on official duties can't even carry without special permission. Leave your weapons unloaded, locked in a box in the trunk of your car back at the hotel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York
Is that even sufficient?? I've been reading up on the laws in NJ and NYC, and I'm not convinced that's even acceptable. Reads like they can jack you up even if locked unloaded in the trunk. I really hate to spend two weeks traveling on the road and can't pack due to a stop in one stupid city. At least for NJ, it reads like if you're from out of state and passing through, you darn better be ONLY doing just that and nothing else, or else.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 PM
glc
I'm suggesting you get a hotel OUT of the city in NJ or CT and take the train into the city.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:10 PM
OK...I think I have a plan. Battery Parking Garage on Greenwich has been recommended numerous times. Stay at the Millennium Hilton on Church St just a few blocks away. Thoughts on these two spots? My head hurts from shopping and planning...I just need to make a decision. What say ye?

Unless there was an awesome parking plan for outside the city...but I'm not keen on parking outside the city and leaving her. I am going to check on a rental, but for the whole vacation, that may be cost prohibitive.