Need help 2008 f150 stx that tows a large trailer all the time

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help 2008 f150 stx that tows a large trailer all the time

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 f150 stx 4.6 v8 with 75,000 miles on it. My concern is this truck is used currently to tow a large double axle enclosed trailer. This truck is always towing this trailer, and I am concerned that there has been a lot of wear and tear on the engine/ transmission. The truck is priced really good. That is why I am really considering purchasing this truck. I just don't want to buy a truck that has any problems. I have had to put several transmissions in the used cars I have purchased in the last 5 years and can't afford to keep having trouble. My question is: would you guys be concerned buying this truck knowing it has done a lot of heavy towing? I am guessing the trailer is approx 5,000-6,000 lbs. I plan on taking it to my local ford dealer so they can check it out, but I don't know how much they can tell me since the truck seems to functioning correctly right now. Any advice at all would really be appreciated!! Also, how do I know if this truck has the best tow pkg. It does have the factory hitch receiver installed but that is all I know. I do have the Vin number if that helps out.

Last edited by Xplicitbeats; 09-24-2015 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Add a couple of items
Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally, I'd shy away from a truck (especially one with the smallest V8) that has been used almost constantly for towing. To me, that's a recipe for a vehicle that will need more repairs moving forward than a similar vehicle that has been used for less strenuous tasks.

Now, if that potential for increased future repair can be justified by a lower initial cost, the economics of it may work out. However, I'd still be wary just because there is a huge "PIA quotient" associated with owning a vehicle that is always in the shop for repairs.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd stay far away from that truck! But that's your call.

Quick Reply: Need help 2008 f150 stx that tows a large trailer all the time