my pics thread - Page 4 - F150online Forums

my pics thread

  #46  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500



Oops...missed a turn!

 
  #47  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 PM
NFLD FLARED 281's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Harbour, NFLD
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Great pictures!! I bet the tides up there can drive you crazy...down here only 1 to 2 feet at most on a normal day not counting storm tides.
Thanks! I've never really thought about it but the tides here are rarely that much different than that. I don't mind one bit
 
  #48  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM
NFLD FLARED 281's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Harbour, NFLD
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post



Oops...missed a turn!

nice!
 
  #49  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500



Mississippi River bridge at New Orleans.





New Orleans from the Westbank of the Mississippi River.





River traffic.





Coal barges heading downriver.





Getting ready to go under the bridge.
 
  #50  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM
NFLD FLARED 281's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Harbour, NFLD
Posts: 546
Nice shots pawpaw - not sure how I feel about the urban backgrounds in a couple, but you got a good eye for nice pics!
 
  #51  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500
Originally Posted by NFLD FLARED 281 View Post
Nice shots pawpaw - not sure how I feel about the urban backgrounds in a couple, but you got a good eye for nice pics!
Thanks...we still have houses in the New Orleans area but don't live there. I really like the zoom lens capability of my Canon SX50 for taking long distance photos.
 
  #52  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:20 PM
NFLD FLARED 281's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Harbour, NFLD
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Thanks...we still have houses in the New Orleans area but don't live there. I really like the zoom lens capability of my Canon SX50 for taking long distance photos.
Nothing personal, just not a city person at all, never was. Canons are good cameras. I need to get familiar with my recently gifted Olympus camera that seems nice, and try it out. But after the amount of pics my old Samsung D760 has taken for me as well as accidental abuse, I'm keeping that till it stops being usable. Tough camera and still takes nice pics.
 
  #53  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:37 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500
Originally Posted by NFLD FLARED 281 View Post
Nothing personal, just not a city person at all, never was. Canons are good cameras. I need to get familiar with my recently gifted Olympus camera that seems nice, and try it out. But after the amount of pics my old Samsung D760 has taken for me as well as accidental abuse, I'm keeping that till it stops being usable. Tough camera and still takes nice pics.
I've got an old Canon SD630 pocket camera that does a good job also. I'm not a city person either but like to visit every now and then. We live in a small town about 60 miles SW of New Orleans and 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico where we have a fishing camp in Grand Isle, La.





Beach at Grand Isle.





Almost deserted in the winter.





Shrimp boats tied up but they're out catching shrimp now!
 
  #54  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 PM
ddellwo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,814
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post



Mississippi River bridge at New Orleans.
Going over that bridge always gives me the creeps! Can't think of one that shakes more anywhere in the country!
 
  #55  
Old 05-11-2015, 01:42 PM
NFLD FLARED 281's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Harbour, NFLD
Posts: 546
Awesome! I love your boat and ship pics especially
 
  #56  
Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500
Originally Posted by ddellwo View Post
Going over that bridge always gives me the creeps! Can't think of one that shakes more anywhere in the country!
This is the twin span Crescent City Connection bridge...only way this one shakes is when it gets hit by a ship or barges! You must be thinking of the old Huey P. Long bridge before its billion dollar re-building job. It's real nice now and doesn't shake anymore. The original span was opened in the 1930's for the railroad and still is stronger then most newer bridges. The previous roadways were designed to move and shake and were added to the railway span as an afterthought. With the narrow lanes it was used for driver training to see how your nerves could handle it!!
 
  #57  
Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500
Originally Posted by NFLD FLARED 281 View Post
Awesome! I love your boat and ship pics especially
Gracias!!
 
  #58  
Old 05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500



Bayou Barataria in Lafitte, La.





Small crab boat heading in.





Crab boat.





Shrimp trawlers tied up.
 
  #59  
Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,500



New Coast Guard boat awaiting sea trials at Grand Isle.





Close to 160' feet long.





Shrimpers working out in the Gulf.





Birds loving it!
 
  #60  
Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 AM
ddellwo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,814
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
This is the twin span Crescent City Connection bridge...only way this one shakes is when it gets hit by a ship or barges! You must be thinking of the old Huey P. Long bridge before its billion dollar re-building job. It's real nice now and doesn't shake anymore. The original span was opened in the 1930's for the railroad and still is stronger then most newer bridges. The previous roadways were designed to move and shake and were added to the railway span as an afterthought. With the narrow lanes it was used for driver training to see how your nerves could handle it!!
Nope -- my bad. I'm thinking of the one on I-10 in Baton Rouge -- got my Cajun cities mixed up.....lol

Is the Huey the one south of the Ponchartrain (sp?) bridge?
 

Last edited by ddellwo; 05-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my pics thread


Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: