Am I Going To Hate My Next New Car....???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Am I Going To Hate My Next New Car....???

Landed in Sioux Falls this afternoon and didn't have my normal selection of trucks in the Emerald Aisle, so I grabbed a new Fusion to tool around in for the next few days. It's actually pretty good timing, since this is one of the vehicles that has been on my short-list as a possible replacement for my wife's '05 Escape in the next year or two. I've only driven it about 20 miles so far, but my first impression is that I wonder if I am going to absolutely hate the next new car I buy?

For example:

- I hate push button starters -- I want to stick a key in an ingnition switch and rotate it forward to start my vehicle!

- I hate the fact that virtually every function on this vehicle is controlled via a touchpad screen planted in the middle of the instrument panel. Too confusing compared to the straight forward dials and switches that have gotten us by just fine for the last 50 years, plus you just know that thing is going to fail about 5 years into ownership and take a thousand-dollar-bill to repair!

- I hate that they try to stick 50 different functions into the steering wheel controls -- cruise control is the only thing that needs to be there!

I'll give it a fair shot the next few days, but my initial impression is not positive. I'm wondering if I will be scouring the internet for nice clean older vehicles that aren't the "computer on wheels" that new cars seem to be becoming......

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What you will like is the fuel economy.

I rented a Jetta for a couple of days and a Ford Focus for several days when we were on vacation recently. They were comparable in many ways. We were comfortable and both cars were impressive to me with the combination of economy, performance and luggage space. The Focus got some amazing mileage. It had the direct injected 2.0 engine with 160hp. I enjoyed driving both cars and I usually drive my Dodge Magnum Hemi when I'm not driving my truck. So they were entirely different.

I recently traded my wife's 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander on a new leftover 2013 Infinity EX37. It has the push button start and blue tooth and rear camera and sonar that warns you when something is too close. I like it. And the 325hp V6 coupled to a 7 speed auto combined with 500lbs less weight and I think it is faster than my Hemi Magnum!!! It's not that great on gas!

Last edited by Roadie; 07-22-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, all cars are going this way. Your only way around is to buy an old car or stick to "poverty spec" versions that don't have many options.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you're too old... or maybe I'm too young, but how hard could it be? You want more buttons on the center stack and less on the steering wheel?

Phone, navigation, radio, climate control, all in one place and there's redundant buttons within a thumb's reach on the wheel in case you don't like the screen.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Never had gadget's in my '54 DeSoto...darn thing ran forever!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Hand held navigation device never failed...unless it blew out of the window!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 AM
As far as lack of manual controls, I think that was the biggest complaint about the MyFord Touch when it first rolled out. I thought Ford said it would be addressing that issue as vehicles were redesigned by adding back manual controls for commonly used functions, while retaining those options and more in the touch screen interface as well, so you'd have the best of both worlds.

Push button start seems like a win, not a drawback. No more fumbling with keys at all. Sounds fantastic to me! Hopefully that doesn't interfere in any way with remote start. I've heard stories where some Ford vehicles shut off as soon as you open the driver door after using remote start.

Steering wheel controls are fine for common functions like cruise, radio volume and radio station; other than those I could see multitudes of random buttons just cluttering things up and getting hit by accident. Every Ford I've owned recently has the steering wheel button for radio station select get all worn off & glossy looking on the right edge of the button because I use it so incredibly often with my thumb resting there a lot so I can quickly change stations as soon as a crappy song comes on.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I like push button start, but I'm not into all the gizmos. I'm young too... I'm just more of a driver though. That's why my DD will be a stick. I want a fancy exterior, comfortable seats and that's it. Power windows and locks. I like the STX and XL type trims... it's not a house

Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
cant teach a old dog new tricks, i remember my grandpa buying a car about 15 years ago and he couldnt stand the idea of auto A/C, just wanted to pick the fan speed....

i bet there is a used buick on Crigslist

Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have push button start on my 54 F100.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have push button start on my 54 F100.
I had push the truck start in my 57 Ford....

Old 07-23-2014, 01:12 PM
push button start comes from europe

... where your required by law to shut the motor off while waiting for the traffic lights to change

when we get laws like that over here you'll be glad you have it

better gas mileage is great - especially when it helps save up for that new touch screen in 5 years (LOL)_

Last edited by I like Fords to; 07-23-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I like Fords to
push button start comes from europe

... where your required by law to shut the motor off while waiting for the traffic lights to change...
Say what?!?

I've live in Europe and people do not shut their engines off at every stop light. Yes, the newer cars do have start/stop technology but that has nothing at all to do with push button starters.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
I've been told that in some places over ther people are required to shut them off

wouldn't be the first time the media was full of bull

Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I admit that one thing I really like about my Hemi Magnum is that the ignition key is on the dash where it's supposed to be!

Quick Reply: Am I Going To Hate My Next New Car....???