Indestructible Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indestructible Volvo

These guys try hard, and with the exception of just blatantly letting out the oil, or attempting to run the thing on rocks and sand, they just can't kill the damn car.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=864_1356355319

Old 12-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they reinforced the engine bay and front bumper. At one point in the video you can see the roll cage and 5 point harness inside the cab. So they spent some time making it last as long as it did.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a wreck go down right in front of me several years ago. An older Volvo wagon got rear ended slamming it into a car in front of it. The wrecker came and hauled off both the other cars and the Volvo drove away. The are definitely tough. My kid has a newer one and I cant say its been a really good car for him. Turbo problems transmission died.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Fordtrucktexan
These guys try hard, and with the exception of just blatantly letting out the oil, or attempting to run the thing on rocks and sand, they just can't kill the damn car.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=864_1356355319
a coupe years ago we tested a theory of mine saying that a vehicle could run without any coolant or oil. the 1981 olds 98 lasted over an hour with draining the oil and antifreeze and foot to the floor for an hour. Once we backed off the throttle it finally seized up.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
a coupe years ago we tested a theory of mine saying that a vehicle could run without any coolant or oil. the 1981 olds 98 lasted over an hour with draining the oil and antifreeze and foot to the floor for an hour. Once we backed off the throttle it finally seized up.
That's not uncommon if the engine fails when it is running wide open. As long as the motor is making enough power to overcome the extra friction it will still run. Once the power drops off it will then lock up.

I had that happen once in a boat motor. I was running wide open down the river but I knew something wasn't quite right. it was pulling 5000RPMs or so but should have been able to hit closer to 5600RPMs. I backed out of it and started trimming down and that's when it seized. Going from 60MPH to 0 in a boat is not fun at all, it was a warm day in March but that river water was still cold. A lot of it came over the back of the boat and down my shirt, I cussed at that point. Later on I determined that carb had stopped pumping fuel and had burned completely through the piston. The piston was just a few seconds from coming completely apart and throwing the rod out of the motor.

Quick Reply: Indestructible Volvo