Gallbladder Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Gallbladder Surgery

ok, last Monday night the abdominal pains were so bad i went to the ER. They did all the tests and came back with the answer, "Im admitting you to the hospital to remove your gallbladder". I never thought at 33 i would have to deal with that but further inbestigation shows any age can have that done. Mine had actually set up gang green and was full of stones and gunk. I had a stone the size of a golf ball which is the one that finally blocked everything up causing the pain. They were so busy they couldnt do surgery Tues and had to wait until Wed. I had been at the ER since 12:45am Tues and begging for pain meds. 2 houra later, i got some. So, any help from others on what to expect and what helps and what not to eat for a while? All input appreciated. Thanks

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine was taken out 6/27/12....at age 43......technique used was laprascopy

Full of stones, sludge, and duct was severally scarred and inflamed

5 hours in the ER from 11:30pm to 4:30 am.....got morphine after only 1 hour of waiting....they ran fluids and blood work through the lab....they were trying to eliminate the pancreas as the cause which it wasn't...

Pre op appointment was the same day as the procedure which happened at 12:30 pm...pretty much everything was done in the span of 18 hours from the time I set foot into the ER.....

They will tell NO lifting over 10lbs until your post op visit....they mean it

I went to back to work four days after the procedure and got knocked down hard....took another 3 days off....then it was better....but you got to be careful

Being you said gang green has set in you might get the gash to debri the area instead of the laprascopy....the gash takes longer to recover from.....

Once you recover watch what you eat and how much....eating more times in less quantities has helped me...but if I skip and then eat some crap prcocessed food then look out where's the toilet.....overtime its getting better though...

Good luck....

Last edited by 88racing; 12-23-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hope you have a quick recovery.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck to you!

I passed a gall stone about 2 years ago. You haven't experienced pain until you've had a gallstone. Yes, it's worse than a kidney stone.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had bad abdominal pains back in April. Mine was my appendix. The doctors were shocked I was able to walk in the door much less drive myself to the hospital. I was about 1.5 months away from my 33rd birthday.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Frank S
Good luck to you!

I passed a gall stone about 2 years ago. You haven't experienced pain until you've had a gallstone. Yes, it's worse than a kidney stone.
Agreed...

I've had kidney stones also....

Thank goodness they were the smooth ones and not crystaline....

Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM
thanks everyone. im feeling a lot better today. the doctor didnt find the gang green until he was in there and he called it "red hot". it was the worst one he had seen this year. it took him 2 hours to get it out and luckily everything went fine. he said if it had busted open then he would have had to cut me open to clean everything up. i did lose 10 lbs. went in at 185 and came out the same but once i started getting rid of all the iv fluid i weighed this morn at 175.8. i needed to lose a little any ways. just an expensive way to do it.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Get well soon. Are you back at home now or are you staying in the Hosp. over x-mas?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM
i did lose 10 lbs. went in at 185 and came out the same but once i started getting rid of all the iv fluid i weighed this morn at 175.8. i needed to lose a little any ways. just an expensive way to do it.

It is normal to loose 10-20 lbs. after someone is inside of you. You will get it back in a month or two.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Glad to hear it went well.....now get your rest.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Hope you're doing OK, did not sound like any fun you went through... Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by SETCHAN
Get well soon. Are you back at home now or are you staying in the Hosp. over x-mas?
im back home. i was adamant about coming home soon. the nuseres assist kept saying they were not sure about it but i said the doc said i could if i felt like it. if they had their way i would have stayed thurs night too. feeling a lot better and cant wait for a few more days to pass to get a lot better. thanks all and merry christmas.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't blame you. One thing I have learned is that you recover much faster at home where you can actually get some rest. If it's safe to be discharged, of course.

Merry Christmas to you also !

Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Glad it went well. I had gall stone attacks on and off for 5 months before I had one that had me on the bathroom floor for 6 hours. Finally went to my doctor and they diagnosised me. Had it out when I was 28. My doctor said he had never seen a gall bladder that packed with stones in 25 years. I stayed overnight in the hospital.. no sleep all night. Was much better after I got home. Was back at my desk job in 2 days. Took a long time for me to eat and not have it evacuate rapidly. Over time it has gotten better. On occasion If I eat the wrong crap I remember not too shortly after. This was 10 years ago for me. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse
Glad it went well. I had gall stone attacks on and off for 5 months before I had one that had me on the bathroom floor for 6 hours. Finally went to my doctor and they diagnosised me. Had it out when I was 28. My doctor said he had never seen a gall bladder that packed with stones in 25 years. I stayed overnight in the hospital.. no sleep all night. Was much better after I got home. Was back at my desk job in 2 days. Took a long time for me to eat and not have it evacuate rapidly. Over time it has gotten better. On occasion If I eat the wrong crap I remember not too shortly after. This was 10 years ago for me. Good luck!
Yeah, the bathroom floor for 6 hours sounds really familiar. I wish i had known the week before that it "wasn't" acid reflux when the flairup first happened and just went and had it scheduled for removal. It was so similar in pain to my acid reflux i had a year or so back that i just thought it was that. At least some good news. I have been able to eat anything i want and hold onto it just fine. I havent been to a buffett though. Don't know that i want to try that. But i have eaten pizza and everything else i ate before just fine!

Quick Reply: Gallbladder Surgery