Welder vs diesel mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welder vs diesel mechanic

Im 21 and cant decide which i would like to persue. I will be a certified welder in december '11 but I would love to work on diesels. Maybe they would go hand in hand?

I have a feeling if I cant get a job welding pipeline it would be better to be a diesel tech. Anyone have their on welding business and has the economy killed it?

Last edited by mudkickin4x4; 03-28-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Welding is a good field to go into. I know a few guys who make good money welding, but they do alot of commercial work. They also have a reputation for being the welders that they are, so they get work sent their way. I have a buddy who does the underwater welding on the oil rigs out in the gulf of Mexico, and he makes over six figures.

I only know one diesel mechanic, and he works for a company called aggreko. They specialize in huge generators and commercial equipment. I am not 100% for sure how much that he makes, but he owns a 2011 5.0 mustang gt. I would assume that he would need to make a decent chunk of change. Then again, both of the guys that I mentioned are single, live on their own, and have no children. When you are single money tends to be around more often

Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 PM
haha yes it does (money situation)
I think i would rather do diesel tech, I would love to work at peterbilt, kenworth or CAT. We have all those dealers in the area, maybe putting on a resume that im Certified in welding will put me ahead of some people and i guess i will have a trade to fall back on. Sorry im just talking to myself ha

Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
How about both if you don't mind moving. I have a friend that is a welder that is also a certified diesel mechanic. He has a 6x6 F-650 with a small crane on it and a DC welder. He works on oil field equipment and charges $180.00 an hour. He has more work than he can handle. He works on rigs themselves, stationary equipment, CATs, dozers, anything that is required. One call does it all. He'll even change the oil for some of the oil companies when their rigs get behind. If you like being your own boss, you control your hours, and don't mind working out in the country, it's a dandy field to be in. But you'll have to move to where the oil fields are.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 PM
wow, thanks crazy. I could totally see myself doing that. Where are the majority of the oil fields

Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up here in southern Alberta.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Do both I mean my buddies dad is a welder and diesel mechanic and he is working whenever he wants and gets paid a retarded amount. He just got hired up north as the supervisor for the mechanics after working his way up and hes set, get a diesel truck of choice, big pay checks and 3 weeks on 1 week off. Honestly If I could ide be both go up north and do what he is doing... And when he is doing side jobs he just bought a huge freightliner decked out with a crane welders, plasma cutter, pretty much anything you need and he tows a 28ft trailer to sleep in. Plus the economy isnt that great so any advantage over other people would be huge.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Both are big money but both have investments.

Welder - truck, welder, all the tools

Field diesel mechanic- service truck loaded with tools.

My advice, do which ever one you can see yourself doing for a while.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
How about both if you don't mind moving. I have a friend that is a welder that is also a certified diesel mechanic. He has a 6x6 F-650 with a small crane on it and a DC welder. He works on oil field equipment and charges $180.00 an hour. He has more work than he can handle. He works on rigs themselves, stationary equipment, CATs, dozers, anything that is required. One call does it all. He'll even change the oil for some of the oil companies when their rigs get behind. If you like being your own boss, you control your hours, and don't mind working out in the country, it's a dandy field to be in. But you'll have to move to where the oil fields are.
that sounds awesome

Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm a welder, so I say diesel tech.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Why you say that? What kinda of work do you do avfrog?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Do both man! I work for a big steel company. Lots of our guys are certified welders and inspectors and do interesting things on the side, such as mechanic work, build custom-built trailers, and all kinds of other stuff. As long as there is heavy equipment and 18-wheelers, we will need diesel mechanics and as long as there is steel to fabricate and repair, we'll need welders. Choose 1 area, master it, then master a new skill. Whatever you do, be the best, always have a positive attitude no matter who you're working with, and the money will come.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
You can also make good money learning to weld stainless, cast, aluminum, etc...

Pipeline welding is very different. ESPECIALLY, if you work on older tanks and lines. Your fine if your welding new pipe but have you ever considered welding on a pipe with unknown vapor underneath? It's very dangerous

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by mudkickin4x4
Why you say that? What kinda of work do you do avfrog?
I am an aluminum Tig finish welder. I am also training for a maintenance technician job here, but it looks like welding, steel and aluminum, will be in my future one way or the other. Haha

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I just caught i put december '12, i meant 2011 ha. Yea, i was told my first welding class to never weld on a tank...pretty much the came as unknown vapors on pipes ha

Quick Reply: Welder vs diesel mechanic