New boots

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try to make it a point to try on a pair of shoes at a store before I purchase them offline. Shoes are one thing I'd rather buy from a storefront. And usually the price difference on some I have bought in the past is no more then $10. Just depends on what you're looking for and where you find them.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Red Wing loggers in the summer for work.

Rocky 1,000 gram of insulation in winter for work.

Rocky non insulated for hunting.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have about a dozen pairs of boots (virtually all steel-toes) of various brands. My wife claims I'm the "Imelda Marcos" of work boots.....

The most comfortable pairs I have are a pair of Red Wings, and oddly enough, a relatively cheap (around $85.00) pair of Wolverines I picked up at my local Academy. I have a pair of the Timberland Pro's that several have mentions and find the soles to be a little stiff for my liking.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wear these every day at work. Not steel toe, but they are awesome.

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/in...ange&sv=807295

Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Ariat. I've never found a more comfortable boot for my days of 10+ hours on concrete. They're fairly light also. After 1 year of 10+ hour days, six days a week they're still as good as new - can't say that about Red Wings, Georgia, Justin, etc. Ariat is all I wear whether it's work or casual. Ariat's usually run right at 1 size bigger.

http://www.ariat.com/Work/Men/Footwe...ogSqToeSt.html

Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Agreed 100%.

I am very hard on my boots. I have tried about every brand of "work boot" there is over the years. The only boot that I have found that holds up and doesn't wear out and get "sloppy" feeling is an Ariat Workhog. They take longer to break in, but they don't wear out near as fast.

My $.02? They are well worth the extra cash.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by 1st4x4
http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...ductId=4208506

Out of the price range, BUT if you are on your feet alot, spring for a comfortable pair. And out of the several pairs I have owned, I found these to be the most comfortable pair. I was surprised because I had owned Justin's and Rocky's in my life. (I'd never buy a another set of Justin's)

Take a good look at the Timberland Pro line.
^^^^
THIS
^^^^

12 hours a day, on concrete. Best boot I've owned. There has been quite a few. I can get any Caterpillar boot at cost. I havn't had one last more than 8 months before the soles are shot. These are at 11 months and still going strong. Local boot store owner talked me into them for 130, told me if I didn't like them bring them back. I'll probably be a repeat buyer.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
That reminds me i need to get my right boot back from Habs i crammed it up his kister and forgot all about it. I'll most likely find other things up there as well, i thought i seen a 71 buick hanging from his azz......... but really get some mucks the best by far....

Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Rockies

Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me know when most of ya agree on a boot.

All I know is danner quarry 2.0's didnt last 1 year, 8-12 hr days avg of 6 days a week on concrete, slop, mud, chemicals, steel grating and odd angles / footing positions. Roughly half the price I paid for 1 pair of danners has gotten me 2 pairs of wolverines which lasted about the same time, but cost much less.

I'm a fan of lace up boots, how to the pull on boots feel in comparison? I like feeling locked into the boot.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 PM
The prison I worked at had those Converse boots... Not a huge fan, but they aren't terrible.

Here are a couple different boots that are reasonably close to your budget.

Cat

Not a bad boot, like the grip on slick surfaces such as oily concrete, ice, etc. Didn't hold up too well to chemicals, like pipe dope, drilling fluid, oil. Used and abused for about 2-3 months before they were trash. Not abnormal for line of work I was in. Unless you are soaking your boots in harsh chemicals these will most certainly hold up for much longer.

Dr. Martens

Held up better to above mentioned chemicals. Notoriously slick on ice but a much better boot than the Cat. Held up for about 9 months under the same conditions.

Double H

My current boot. It is more out of your price range, but as others have stated, don't be afraid to spend money on good boots, it will pay dividends on how well your feet, legs, back and neck feel. I am on my feet on concrete for 8+ hours a day and these are probably the most comfortable of the bunch. Double H has more cushion than most other boots I've tried. My only complaint is the short heel. Next pair will be Red Wings. I like the pull on and don't think I will go back to a lace up boot (for work anyway).

Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Graphics Contributor
did OP say what he would be using the boots in? any certain conditions?

i just got these a month or so ago

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Pr...ard-ST-EH-Boot

wear em for work + everything else. real comfortable and no complaints.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
did OP say what he would be using the boots in? any certain conditions?

i just got these a month or so ago

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Pr...ard-ST-EH-Boot

wear em for work + everything else. real comfortable and no complaints.
i do agree with you. i have worn every thing that one might want from red wing, timberland, georgia, cat, and Columbia just to name a few and none come close to the comfort! or the durability! plus if you go to wolverines.com you will see thay have a steel toe hiker that is way comfortable and water tight like a frogs @$$hole. last pair i had lasted me about a year and in chemicals at a paper mill. just my $0.02

Quick Reply: New boots