MLB Player's Controversial Obama Comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bighersh
When did I say that? All I said was those with broader shoulders, should carry more of the load. I'm not saying they don't deserve to hang on to their money. I'm just saying, stop screwing the middle-class. If that means screwing the upper-class a little more- so be it. It's about time.

Just to clarify, our opinions are different, although some aspects of our backgrounds seem pretty similar. I too am prior military, been a civilian for 14 years now, well educated (AAS, BS, MBA), Magna *** Laude, I might add) and fairly well-paid. I'm aware more people work for small businesses than they do for corporations, but that's strictly a raw number. When I talk about the numbers, as they relate to employment and taxes, I'm talking about where the most taxes are paid. That burden lies with corporations, and those corporations happen to directly or indirectly (contractors and sub-contractors- aka- small businesses) employ with the most people.

Don't think for a second that Fred's Trailer Hitches, and 1,000 more like that, is paying more in taxes than Wal-Mart alone. Not to mention Exxon, Sears, JcPenney's, AT&T, Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc... Corporations pay dearly in taxes, and if tax cuts anywhere, could result in more jobs in the USA, it's with corporations moreso than small business owners. Offering corporations tax cut incentives is why the jobless rate damn-near bottomed out in the 1990's- and Clinton, and his high approval rating was the driving force behind that.

Personally, I think we need to be fair across the board, I'd be 100% in favor of a flat tax. If the tax rate was 20% across the board, that would be fair to everyone. If you make $10,000 a year, give up the 25%, and live on your $7,500. If you make $100,000- then you have to get by on $75,000 after you give Sam his $25,000. Tax businesses earning over a set amount (Say, $1,000,000) 40%, and call it a day.

As for being rich? That formula isn't as simple as you suggest. If it were, there's be a lot of rich people in this country- including me. I'm doing OK, but I'm a LOOOOOOOOONG way from "rich".

Obama was not "rich" when he became President. He was making money off his book, but he's not in that "not worried about money" category. Well, he is now- because he'll make his presidential salary (or a percentage thereof) the rest of his life, now that's he's been President. But, he- like the rest of us Americans, has to pay taxes based upon the same antequated tax code as the rest of us.

We were on our way to losing that status long before Obama took office, but the reason why is- China (about 4-times the US Population) and India (3 times the US Population) are both fertile feeding grounds for American businesses to recognize their new fortune. Investment in those countries is pumping money into their economy, and draining it from ours in terms of tax revenue and employee's job loss. Fewer jobs here means less money flowing, means what once flowed like the Mississippi River, will soon be a modest stream.

We'll still have the strongest military for the foreseeable future, but sooner or later, China will turn some of the money they're getting into military spending. Then, they will truly be formidable.

I was just watching the discovery channel the other day when they discussed our crumbling infrastructure in the USA, while China's highway system will soon be more modern, and cover more miles than the US Interstate system, within the next few years. This is not Obama's doing- this is about US complacency. They are embracing technology over there and while its obvious that you have to grease palms in foreign countries to get things done- they do get done.

Just looking around, China has a Maglev train that whisks riders along at 200+ MPH, in an unmanned train. Meanwhile, it takes us nearly a decade in the US to put in a commuter train, (DART) that rarely breaks 60 MPH, from Dallas to Carrollton... Still waiting on them to build a link to DFW... I'm just saying.

Obama didn't cause everything to collapse. However, having him in office did make people open their eyes and realize how messed up things really were... If only they would realize what got us where we are, rather than simply blame the person currently holding the bag.
you apparently don't have a solid opinion seeing as how you contradict yourself in the same post...

Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by richard7285
you apparently don't have a solid opinion seeing as how you contradict yourself in the same post...
What's contradictory about that?

I'd love to see a flat tax across the board. But, that's not gonna happen (unless FOrbes gets in office one day). So, since we can't be fair about it (which won't happen either), I say- stop screwing the middle class, and shift more of the burden up to those best able to handle it (the rich).

I think I've been consistent regarding how I feel about that. This is just opinion, there is no contradiction.

How did I lose you?

Besides, "solid opinions" and a lack of flexibility is a major reason why this country is as divided as it's been the last 10 years. Staunch liberals and staunch conservatives are unwilling to meet in the middle, where all the other reasonable people are... just waiting.

Last edited by Bighersh; 12-15-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 AM
sorry bighersh, but the rich also have the resources to be able to hire accountants that will reduce he amount of money they'll have to actually pay in taxes. its called hiding your money via the use of various charities, funds, llc's, etc. That is how the highest earning tier in our country pay the lowest % of their earnings in taxes.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
One of the biggest myths in this country is that the high earners hide their money and do not pay high enough taxes.

High earners pay the highest percentage of their income, by far.

Are there tax shelters for 'old money' and for income generated from some investments? Sure, you bet.

But when you add up federal, state, and local income taxes, FICA, sales taxes, property tax, utility tax, gas tax, etc...many of the high income people in this country are paying 60%+ in taxes on their salaries.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
One of the biggest myths in this country is that the high earners hide their money and do not pay high enough taxes.

High earners pay the highest percentage of their income, by far.

Are there tax shelters for 'old money' and for income generated from some investments? Sure, you bet.

But when you add up federal, state, and local income taxes, FICA, sales taxes, property tax, utility tax, gas tax, etc...many of the high income people in this country are paying 60%+ in taxes on their salaries.
And that does not take into count the huge estate and gift tax. What so often happens is the assets of the estate have to be liquidated to pay the tax. Especially with large real eatate holdings. Talk about redistribution of wealth!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bighersh
What's contradictory about that?

I'd love to see a flat tax across the board. But, that's not gonna happen (unless FOrbes gets in office one day). So, since we can't be fair about it (which won't happen either), I say- stop screwing the middle class, and shift more of the burden up to those best able to handle it (the rich).

I think I've been consistent regarding how I feel about that. This is just opinion, there is no contradiction.

How did I lose you?

Besides, "solid opinions" and a lack of flexibility is a major reason why this country is as divided as it's been the last 10 years. Staunch liberals and staunch conservatives are unwilling to meet in the middle, where all the other reasonable people are... just waiting.
I showed you what was contradictory and then you repeated yourself... Where'd you get lost?

If you want the rich to pay more taxes and this appears to be your opinion than don't say that you're in favor for an even tax rate. It's wishy-washy flip flops that contribute to the problems in this country as well. I'd much rather have a staunch republican that says what he means than a president who can't make up his mind and makes a bunch of false promises that we can't possibly afford. i have no problem paying my taxes but not when they're being wasted on programs for people who're too lazy to work for themselves. We need to take a turn back to Reaganomics. Stop giving handouts and free crap away so these people expect big gov't to solve all their problems.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
And that does not take into count the huge estate and gift tax. What so often happens is the assets of the estate have to be liquidated to pay the tax. Especially with large real eatate holdings. Talk about redistribution of wealth!
It changes the old saying that two things are inevitable....now it's three, death, taxes and taxes after death. What a crock.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
sorry bighersh, but the rich also have the resources to be able to hire accountants that will reduce he amount of money they'll have to actually pay in taxes. its called hiding your money via the use of various charities, funds, llc's, etc. That is how the highest earning tier in our country pay the lowest % of their earnings in taxes.
Oh yes- I know... Another reason why I don't feel overly sympathetic for "the rich" in general.

A friend of mine pulled up such an article years ago. That's why Manhattan, NY has so many "farmers" in that city. When you own land, and you have farm animals on it, that's a tax write off. I knew a guy who did that. I don't mess with the Gubment, so I continue to owe every year, even though they take money from every check.

In that article my buddy pulled up, some guy had made +/- $10,000,000 that year, but paid about 4% of his salary in income taxes, once he got done "hiding" his money through various shelters. Now, at that rate, 4% of his salary he paid in about $400,000 in taxes (far more than I did), but in terms of percentage- not nearly as much.

It's not the dollar amount, but the percentage paid that folks should focus on. On that estate tax, that's all effed up. It's already high, and they're raising it- the previous owners paid tax on it already, now the beneficiaries have to sell it because they can' afford the taxes... Happens a lot.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 AM
That's one incident from one guy who obviously wasn't very good because he got caught... So rich people are all just crafty tax evaders? Come off it man... I'm not trying to pull words from your mouth but this is the impression that you're giving off.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by richard7285
That's one incident from one guy who obviously wasn't very good because he got caught... So rich people are all just crafty tax evaders? Come off it man... I'm not trying to pull words from your mouth but this is the impression that you're giving off.
It's never all. But, if regular people lie and try to find ways to pay less taxes, and get higher refunds- what makes you think rich people wouldn't? Rich doesn't mean honest.

As for the contradiction- there's nothing contradictory, it's stated just the way I wanted to say it. I guess you just don't understand what I'm saying... It's OK. We're never going to agree anyway.

What you think and what I think doesn't make either one of us right or wrong, just opinionated.

Last edited by Bighersh; 12-16-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: MLB Player's Controversial Obama Comments