Need help with buying a trailer to haul my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with buying a trailer to haul my car

Hey everyone. I need some schooling on purchasing a trailer to haul my car. I will be towing my car from Louisiana to Oregon next spring with my F150 but am stuck on deciding which trailer to buy. I know that I could rent a trailer from U-Haul but I alway's seem to need a trailer to haul something and i'm tired of having to borrow one from someone so this is a perfect excuse to go ahead and buy one now. I really want a 16' tandem utility trailer with a wood floor to use for random hauling like furniture,atv's or anything else I may need but I also need one to safely haul my car 2,000 miles. I have priced around and it seems to be around $2550.00 for a 83"x18' car hauler trailer Vs. a 83"x16' utility trailer costing around $1850.00. Can I tow my car safely with a 16' utility trailer for that distance? By comparing the ratings of both trailers they don't seem to be any different. They both have two axles rated at 3500lbs a peice,both have wood floors but the utility trailer has sides which I want for tying stuff down but I know the car hauler has the sloped dove tail which will make for easier loading and unloading but I can find some way to unload my car from the utility trailer though so it's not a deal breaker. I will also be getting trailer brakes installed to whichever trailer I end up buying. The car in question is my 03 Mustang GT which weighs 3200lbs according to our scale used at work. My truck is a crew cab 2wd with the 3v5.4 and 3.55 gears. I plan to have them changed to 4.10's before I leave on the trip though since i'm running 285/60-18 tires and the mountains+high elevations aren't very forgiving. I know from experience since i've driven my truck to Oregon twice already. Here's a pic of each trailer in question. Thanks for the help and a pic of the car i'll be hauling.

Mustang

Utility Trailer
http://www.cowboytrailers.com/detail.asp?ID=246797

Car Hauler
http://www.cowboytrailers.com/detail.asp?ID=246811

Last edited by 2004Triton5.4; 06-10-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First thing I thought of was, 'right tool for the job'.
There has to be reason one is $700 more for two likesize trailers, especially when the cheaper one has rails.

The frame may be different underneath.
The utility trailer may have spaced crossmembers expecting the 3500 lbs to be fairly distributed.
The carhauler frame may be built knowing where that 3500 lbs will be sitting, basically two tracks running front to rear.
Tiedowns (front and rear) are important - carhauler where they are supposed to be, utility trailer maybe not.

Another thing to consider is with the utility rails, you will exit/enter the vehicle aka.. 'Dukes of Hazard' (that would be a dealbreaker for me).

just noticed in the carhauler description "... 5" channel iron frame and tongue..."

Last edited by Raoul; 06-10-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Raoul
First thing I thought of was, 'right tool for the job'.
There has to be reason one is $700 more for two likesize trailers, especially when the cheaper one has rails.

The frame may be different underneath.
The utility trailer may have spaced crossmembers expecting the 3500 lbs to be fairly distributed.
The carhauler frame may be built knowing where that 3500 lbs will be sitting, basically two tracks running front to rear.
Tiedowns (front and rear) are important - carhauler where they are supposed to be, utility trailer maybe not.

Another thing to consider is with the utility rails, you will exit/enter the vehicle aka.. 'Dukes of Hazard' (that would be a dealbreaker for me).

just noticed in the carhauler description "... 5" channel iron frame and tongue..."
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the frames being made different. The situation with the rails doesn't bother me since I wouldn't be hauling the car on the trailer very often, just this time when we go up there. I've hauled cars on 16' utility trailers before but it was for short distances so I know it's possible but not sure if it's a wise thing to do on a 2,000 mile trip.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Buy the dovetail car trailer. You can add removeable rail sides later on if need be.

I would actually look to get a 20'-22' so you can throw a tool box on the front and haul longer trucks etc... But that is jut me.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the tire load range rating on both also.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd look for a 20'-22' trailer with 5000lb axles, cause you never know when you'll need it. Car hauler trailers usually are lower and have smooth ramps, compared to flatbed trailers which are higher and ramps you wouldn't want to drive a Mustang up. I'd also look for something with electric brakes on both axles.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM

The frame of the car hauler is going to be much stiffer than the utility trailer. I have a car hauler similar to the one you pictured. I tow a 55 hp tractor on mine. I have seen a buddy tow a similar tractor on a 16ft utility trailer and boy did that thing flex! He made it ok but we only had about a two hour drive down to a hunting camp. If you are going cross country I would spend the extra 700 and go with the car hauler. That price seems a little high to me but I bought mine 15 years ago, I would check around. Also make sure whichever you go with it has new trailer tires and look at the load rating on them. I would also have a spare just in case. Good luck on your move!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Either trailer will haul a mustang with no problem, if you are tight on cash or just want one with rails on it already then go for the utility trailer. I hauled my f-150 on our 16' utility several times and had zero problems, with the car you are hauling being as light as it is it basically comes down to personal choice.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Good point on the ramps.
I used to ride my dirt bikes into the back of the truck, then using the same loading ramp my street bike would bottom out. It took two of us to lift the back into the truck-probably a whole bunch more to lift the Mustang tho!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM
This is what your mustang needs but your truck wouldnt like it to much

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1777345645.html

Quick Reply: Need help with buying a trailer to haul my car