F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Any tips for driving in snow? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/400558-any-tips-driving-snow.html)

Tornadom 12-22-2009 12:12 AM

Any tips for driving in snow?

I am going to be going up to the High Sierras on Wednesday and I would like to hear some snow driving tips from the people who do it most! Where I live in California, we don't get snow, but we are just down the hill from it. It has been a while since I last drove a 4 wheeled vehicle in snow, so I am hoping for some simple reminders and tips to make it safer.

My truck is 4wd with brand new 35" all terrains on it right now, so it should at least be decent in the snow compared to my bald mud terrains. It is supposed to be sunny and 35 degrees on Wednesday, so I probably won't be driving in falling snow, but it is currently snowing in that area and will continue to do so through Tuesday night. I believe there will be about 1-2' of fresh snow from this current weather system.

Here is what I know about snow driving:

1). slow down
2). be smoother on inputs (steering, braking and throttle)

Here is what I know about mountain survival:

1). take a sleeping bag per person
2). take food just in case
3). in the event of being stranded, stay with your vehicle!

Obviously these tips are elementary, but worth repeating. I'm not actually worried about driving in the snow, as I do it on my motorcycle with alarming frequency, but I figured this might be a fun thread.

MTM Ford 12-22-2009 12:18 AM

It aint too bad, just slow down and take your time. The snow isn't really what's bad, the ice is the worst part. Maybe throw a few hundred lbs in your bed to help with traction even though you got 4x4 it can't hurt.
Just take your time, have a longer following distance, PAY ATTENTION!, and watch other people.

TruckGuy24 12-22-2009 12:21 AM

Dude, just brake hard on every turn and mash it coming out of the turn. Guaranteed traction.

MTM Ford 12-22-2009 12:24 AM

Guaranteed to make people stare at you too when you're doin 360's past them. :lol: :lol:

08stx4x4 12-22-2009 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24 (Post 4010408)
Dude, just brake hard on every turn and mash it coming out of the turn. Guaranteed traction.

Make sure you are in 2WD also so you can drift around the corners.:p

TruckGuy24 12-22-2009 12:30 AM

2wd... check. See my truck is special. Full time 2wd :rocker:

But seriously man... slow down and use your head. Don't break while entering a turn, or mash it through it. Try not to come to complete stops if you are in deep snow, just make sure no one is coming or you have enough room and then go. Through turn keep the truck moving and gently keep the gas going. Don't be afraid to downshift with the transmission if you can't brake safely. Matt gave some good advice. And you know some things as well. 4x4 tends to get people over confident. DEFINITELY put weight in the bed. 150-200lbs. I have 3x 50lbs sand bags over my axle. Not one issue this past storm.

MTM Ford 12-22-2009 12:32 AM

Ya, 4x4 makes people think they're invinsible. It helps you get goin, but you still have to stop and 4 wheel drive doesn't help out with that at all.

TruckGuy24 12-22-2009 12:34 AM

exactly

Tornadom 12-22-2009 12:36 AM

I'm actually going up there to load the bed up with some snow and bring it home for Christmas. My mom and dad haven't had snow for Christmas since they were young kids, so my brother and I are going to surprise them with a F150 shortbed and F350 longbed's worth of snow in the yard.

Needless to say, there will be weight in the bed on the return trip. Thank you for the good tips and advice though, it sure is better than riding a sport bike in that stuff.

MTM Ford 12-22-2009 12:37 AM

If you can ride a motorcycle in the snow, you'll be FINE in the truck. :lol:

Pretty cool you're takin snow back to your parents. :rocker:

TruckGuy24 12-22-2009 12:39 AM

Nice gesture man... remember, snow is white, not yellow :thumbsup:

Tornadom 12-22-2009 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MTM Ford (Post 4010444)
If you can ride a motorcycle in the snow, you'll be FINE in the truck. :lol:

Pretty cool you're takin snow back to your parents. :rocker:

Haha, I'm sure I'll be okay. 12 degree and a snow storm on a 135hp super bike (that was on my old Suzuki TL-1000R) was quite the adventure, and snow riding has become somewhat common for me now.

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24 (Post 4010448)
Nice gesture man... remember, snow is white, not yellow :thumbsup:

I'll be sure to leave the yellow snow for the people in the hills to enjoy, the fresh white powder snow is going home with me though.

Klitch 12-22-2009 01:39 AM

just make sure your rev limiter works every chance you get :D

scotyg 12-22-2009 06:18 AM

with your setup acceleration in the snow wont be a problem, the only time i ever need extra work to get moving in snow is when going from a dead stop and trying to go uphill (which is what my house is on), i usually have to switch to 2nd manually or 4low.

the hardest thing driving in snow is stopping, you have to pay a lot more attention to the road ahead of you, anticipate what other traffic is doing so you know if you might have to slow or stop. also go ahead and run that yellow/red light if your going to be cutting it close, imo. Id rather go through the intersection under control then in a skid. But try not to get into that situation.

MikeF150 12-22-2009 07:59 AM

don't forget tire chains... CHiPs will turn you around without them... had it happen a couple times when I lived in CA a few years ago and would head up to the Sierras.. :santa:

http://news.sierrawave.net/eastern-s...n-check-points