F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Turning 21 and i have to get a new ID? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/395366-turning-21-i-have-get-new-id.html)

scottbigred 10-31-2009 12:29 AM

Turning 21 and i have to get a new ID?

Well i finally turn 21 on sunday and get to find out what a beer taste like :rolleyes: . Does it taste like soda pop like grandad says? Anyways, people have been talking about bars and liquor stores not honoring your id until you have gotten a new one when you turn 21. This is in Illinois BTW if it matters. Well my current ID doesnt expire till Feb of 2010. I've heard this from multiple people and i just dont really understand it. They say its mostly a bigger town/city thing but it doesnt make sense to me. Anyone have anything to add to that?

Scott

Raptor05121 10-31-2009 12:36 AM

I know in Florida our IDs are pictured vertical. when you turn 21 they make them horizontal.

scottbigred 10-31-2009 12:37 AM

Its like that now in IL but it didn't start until after i turned 16 so mines horizontal.

_2002_FX4_ 10-31-2009 01:00 AM

your birthday is listed on the ID right? It would be stupid if they didnt accept it... If you were gonna fake an ID, wouldnt you fake one in the correct direction? Why would you fake one the wrong way? LOL

scottbigred 10-31-2009 01:05 AM

I actually have two valid IDs with a picture and date of birth. In IL to own a gun you have to have a Firearms Owner ID (FOID) and when you apply for it you send in a current picture and sign it to verify you are who you say you are. Then they use the sig and pic off of your DL. Why would i fake two ids with my picture from 5 years ago. Im just trying to wrap my head around the logic behind it (if there is any). Also wouldnt an ID thats dirty, worn and looks five years old be less likely to be a fake than a shiney new one?

Scott

kansasflareside 10-31-2009 01:17 AM

Your ID is supposed to expire on your 21st birthday, atleast thats how it is in Kansas. Since it expires on your birthday, and bars/liquor stores aren't supposed to accept an expired ID, then by the book you are not allowed to buy liquor or enter a bar. But, since it isnt physically possible to have a current ID on your 21st birthday that doesnt say "Not 21 until XX/XX/2009, most bars/liquor stores will alow you to use that expired ID, granted it is only a few weeks expired, since the state takes a week or two to mail you a new ID.

Basically, you should be fine. If the doorman gives you problems, ask for the manager. If the manager still gives you problems, ask them to have a police officer scan the ID to validate it. Or just cause a scene and never go back to that bar. :lol:

_2002_FX4_ 10-31-2009 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by scottbigred (Post 3945624)
I actually have two valid IDs with a picture and date of birth. In IL to own a gun you have to have a Firearms Owner ID (FOID) and when you apply for it you send in a current picture and sign it to verify you are who you say you are. Then they use the sig and pic off of your DL. Why would i fake two ids with my picture from 5 years ago. Im just trying to wrap my head around the logic behind it (if there is any). Also wouldnt an ID thats dirty, worn and looks five years old be less likely to be a fake than a shiney new one?

Scott

I totally agree... the alcohol age should be dropped back to 18... they all do it anyways...

scottbigred 10-31-2009 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by kansasflareside (Post 3945630)
Your ID is supposed to expire on your 21st birthday, atleast thats how it is in Kansas. Since it expires on your birthday, and bars/liquor stores aren't supposed to accept an expired ID, then by the book you are not allowed to buy liquor or enter a bar. But, since it isnt physically possible to have a current ID on your 21st birthday that doesnt say "Not 21 until XX/XX/2009, most bars/liquor stores will alow you to use that expired ID, granted it is only a few weeks expired, since the state takes a week or two to mail you a new ID.

Basically, you should be fine. If the doorman gives you problems, ask for the manager. If the manager still gives you problems, ask them to have a police officer scan the ID to validate it. Or just cause a scene and never go back to that bar. :lol:

We think alike :rocker: :devil:

but i was also thinking along the same lines as you on the expiration date. My birthdays the 1st of Nov and i got my DL on the 12th of nov 2004. My DL expires on the 10th of feb 2010. None of those dates go together lol

kansasflareside 10-31-2009 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by scottbigred (Post 3945635)
We think alike :rocker: :devil:

but i was also thinking along the same lines as you on the expiration date. My birthdays the 1st of Nov and i got my DL on the 12th of nov 2004. My DL expires on the 10th of feb 2010. None of those dates go together lol

Haha, yeah, the expiration date seems quite random. Doesnt surprise me though. We are talking about DMV workers here....

scottbigred 10-31-2009 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by _2002_FX4_ (Post 3945632)
I totally agree... the alcohol age should be dropped back to 18... they all do it anyways...

I agree and disagree with that. In some places it would be totally fine. But there would be the few who take there new found freedom to the extreme. I did it anyways so it never really bothered me to much. I live in a small rural town and we spent alot of nights around bonfires or on back country roads hangin out and there was almost always a cooler, but we never get outa control and started much trouble.

scottbigred 10-31-2009 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by kansasflareside (Post 3945637)
double post.

i dont see two posts? just one

RileyDog 10-31-2009 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by _2002_FX4_ (Post 3945620)
your birthday is listed on the ID right? It would be stupid if they didnt accept it... If you were gonna fake an ID, wouldnt you fake one in the correct direction? Why would you fake one the wrong way? LOL

Some places here in New Mexico dont take the vertical ones, even though they list the birth date. It's screwed up.

_2002_FX4_ 10-31-2009 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by scottbigred (Post 3945638)
I agree and disagree with that. In some places it would be totally fine. But there would be the few who take there new found freedom to the extreme. I did it anyways so it never really bothered me to much. I live in a small rural town and we spent alot of nights around bonfires or on back country roads hangin out and there was almost always a cooler, but we never get outa control and started much trouble.

True... I drank before 21 too... once I hit 21, wasnt as much fun anymore...

scottbigred 10-31-2009 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by RileyDog (Post 3945640)
Some places here in New Mexico dont take the vertical ones, even though they list the birth date. It's screwed up.

My ID is horizontal not vertical. They started that about a month after i got my DL.

scottbigred 10-31-2009 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by _2002_FX4_ (Post 3945641)
True... I drank before 21 too... once I hit 21, wasnt as much fun anymore...

It'll be fun for awhile for me, most of my friends aren't 21 yet since i have a fairly early Bday so ill get to go out with all of them on there 21st. Not many people to go out with me on mine though and if i go out at midnight its halloween.... But the time changes at 2 on sunday morning and it goes back an hour. So all the bars that shut down at 2 get to stay open an extra hour if they choose.