Calling LABNERD........

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling LABNERD........

Need your expert advice, not for a F150.
I will be purchasing a new Indian Chieftain in the very near future, long story.
Here is my question......The manufacturer calls for using their 20-40 semi synthetic oil. However, for the $85.00 they want for the "oil change kit", I believe I can do better, Amsoil or Mobil 1 M/C oil full synthetic. However, they make 10-40 and 20-50 grades only. Which to use?
I will use the Indian oil for the first change for a kind of "break-in" and to just clean out the new engine junk.
Wish Pennzoil made their Ultra in these weights.........

Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow -- how many quarts of oil does that thing hold to justify $85.00 for an oil change kit.......

For that kind of dough I would expect the Grand Sultan of Saudi Arabia to hand deliver it in a ancient oil lantern.....

Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Wow -- how many quarts of oil does that thing hold to justify $85.00 for an oil change kit.......

For that kind of dough I would expect the Grand Sultan of Saudi Arabia to hand deliver it in a ancient oil lantern.....
They're by no means the only ones - H-D does this too:

http://www.grizzlyscustombikes.co.uk...ts/cat_84.html

And Victory (oh - they be Polaris too, lol):

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en...19/pid-2880219

And the clueless droolin' acolytes eat it up .... don't hep when these manufacturers hint at the spectre of warranty issues ....

MGD

Old 02-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Holds 6 quarts...........

Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Does it require Jaso spec oil? Is the syn blend a requirement or recommendation? If it requires a Jaso spec oil then shop around for that spec oil. Usually oil viscosity recommendations vary depending on the ambient temperature. I think the manufacturers usually recommend their own oil to make more money but do not require it. They just require the correct spec and viscosity oil.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I just checked the Amsoil site - they have no recommended oil for a Chieftain, even though they have several motorcycle oils. That tells me something - you may want to find a cheaper source for the factory stuff.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 PM
It is an American motorcycle, no Asian Jasco crap.
I know Amsoil and Mobil 1 have no direct weight spec, I checked. I am in San Diego, so possibly a 20-50 would be OK to use. Maybe a 10-40 for the first 10-20,000 miles.
The thing that gets me is...their oil isn't even a synthetic, it is a blend.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Or I suppose you could just bone up and get their oil -- once you're out of the break-in period will you really change the oil more than once a season?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If Indian specs 20-40 (an odd weight BTW...marketing to get you to buy their product because you can't get it simply OTC), then you are perfectly, perfectly, safe running a 10W40! Possibly even better so! I wouldn't go 20W50 as the second number is the overall weight of the oil the engine is based on. The Winter number is (for simpler terms) how the oil acts in cold start up conditions. So in reality, a 10W will flow better than a 20W anyways. Don't worry about it being "too thin"...that's the second number and you're still running a 40 weight oil!

Everyone has their own comfort level and oil is...well...let's face it...just one of those subjects; but if she were mine, I'd run this ( http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MCFQT-EA ) every day of the week and twice on Sunday and sleep like a daggum baby!!!!

Last edited by Galaxy; 02-16-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Or I suppose you could just bone up and get their oil -- once you're out of the break-in period will you really change the oil more than once a season?
WTF kinda POS throwback engine is this, anyway? Modern engines don't have a break-in - haven't for many years.

It's a fekkin' low-output, unremarkable v-twin - no Unobtanium in use - no exotic bearings, no rare composite clutch friction surfaces, no alien tech ....

Jeebus H. W. Chrispy ....

MGD

Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
It is an American motorcycle, no Asian Jasco crap.
I know Amsoil and Mobil 1 have no direct weight spec, I checked. I am in San Diego, so possibly a 20-50 would be OK to use. Maybe a 10-40 for the first 10-20,000 miles.
The thing that gets me is...their oil isn't even a synthetic, it is a blend.
Ha Ha It has a wet clutch. Using auto oil may cause the clutch to slip. You probably need a Jaso MA spec oil that is speced to be used with 4 stroke motorcycles that have a wet clutch. Rotella sells Jaso MA oil but not in the 20w40 that you want.

Last edited by Roadie; 02-16-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Here is perhaps the only alternative for 20w40 semi blend motorcycle oil.

http://www.malcolmsmith.com/castrol-...uctid=21159308

Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
WTF kinda POS throwback engine is this, anyway? Modern engines don't have a break-in - haven't for many years.

It's a fekkin' low-output, unremarkable v-twin - no Unobtanium in use - no exotic bearings, no rare composite clutch friction surfaces, no alien tech ....

Jeebus H. W. Chrispy ....

MGD
The engine has 120 lb/tq it has good power. There is a guy in NY that can get 150 lb/tq from it. So, it has a lot of potential.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Here is perhaps the only alternative for 20w40 semi blend motorcycle oil.

http://www.malcolmsmith.com/castrol-...uctid=21159308
Not a fan of Castrol. In independent tests it does not fare well.
But the Amsoil 10-40 is what I was thinking anyway.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you but I needed to fully understand the sump and clutch relationship. Yours will have a common sump meaning it uses the same oil for the engine and the transmission. MY cusin just asked me this same question on his Indian as he's up against his 500 miles on the clock. The dealers here want 60 bucks for an oil change of 5.5 qts of a blended Indian oil 20w-40 which obviously Indian doesn't make nor Polaris nor Victory. After a chat with a formulator about the engine and transmission, he said NO to any Amsoil oils. Apparently the motorcycle oils have moly in the mix. Amsoil does not recommend any of their oils for this bike. I don't have a break down of Amsoils motorcycle oils so the moly is a guess on my part. Some of the guys are using a 10w-40 without issues and low wear metals and some are running a 20w-50 with the same results. What I'm recommending to cuz is Mobil One 10w-40 4T motorcycle oil. It fits the add package from Indian real close and is SM rated. Users claim that it makes for an even better shifting transmission with the only issue for some is light oil usage at cold start up temps. After it warms up no problem. The issue is with the low tension ring packs not always being able to seal completely until they warm up. This is not with every bike, just a few that I'm aware of. You do not want M1 V Twin oil, FWIW.
More FWIW, Wix makes the Indian filters so I'd look to NAPA for one, maybe. The oil drain has 2 screws to remove. They also have copper crush washers on the screws. Make sure to find them and replace them or expect leaks. Sometimes they are noted for sticking in the drain holes.
DO NOT drain the factory fill early. The issue is that while the engine needs only minor break in, the gears require more time to burnish in and develop a "set". Follow the break in guide in the owners manual for the first 500 miles.
When cuz asked about his bike, I almost said Delo 400LE 15w-40 and after looking at the Indian specs, it probably would have caused damage to his wet clutch. Delo has about 100ppms moly and 600 borpn which means it's pretty slick stuff. Just the kinda stuff to screw up a clutch. I'd be real cautious about what oils you put in yer new bike and look at all of the add pack. ZDDP is great, moly and boron, not so much. While I couldn't find any data on the composition materials used on the Indian clutch, it apparently is reactive to certain oil additives like moly or boron.
Since the wife decided my bike riding days are over and got rid of my bike last October, I'm seriously thinking about not liking you. But congrats anyway!

Quick Reply: Calling LABNERD........