Wal-Mart...my $10 rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Wal-Mart...my $10 rant

**Update at post 33**

Although Wal-Mart is extremely convenient for me, a college student, this is why I don't like going there. Let's just say I got hosed out of ten dollars last night. Sent this into the Wal-Mart feedback site....

I just wanted to say how extremely disappointed I am with some of your employee's attitudes. Normally my experience at Wal-Mart is pleasant--get in and get out with everything I need. Last night one of your employees cost me $10 because they assumed I made an error and I'm pretty upset about it.

I went last night with an exact purchase in mind, so before I left I counted out $150 cash plus some ones at my apartment. When I went to check out, my bill total came to $150 plus change. I counted out the $150 and added a one dollar bill, making it $151. When the cashier counted it she said I only gave her $141. There was a line so she wouldn't let me count it myself. I told her I gave her $151 but she said it's only $141. Since there was a line that I didn't want to hold up I just thought that I might have made an error in my counting at the apartment. So I got my one-dollar bill back and paid the ten and change by debit card....

I was almost 100% I had given her $151, so I watched her count the money into the register. This is the funny part...

As she was counting she first separated the money I had given her into a one hundred dollar stack and a second stack that included the rest. I watched her count out the one hundred and it was correct. She put that into the register. As she was counting the rest (on my word--$50, on hers--$40), I again watched. I had $20 in fives and the rest tens. As she was putting it into the register, she put the fives in first. Then she started separating the tens to put into the register. At this point if there were two tens she was correct and I had only given her $140...if there were three tens then that means I had given her $150.

As she was separating the tens, which were fairly new, she licked her finger to separate them and what do you know...three tens were there. It's funny because she paused for a few seconds. She knew she had made a mistake. What does she do? Does she admit her mistake and give me a ten back? No...she stuck it all in the register before I could say anything. And what was I to say? There was a line behind me that had been waiting the whole time. It was my word vs hers.

So here I am without my $10 that I told her I gave her. She not only did not let me count it myself after I handed it to her, but she was so dishonest that she didn't give me my money back after she realized she made the mistake. I'm not that upset that I lost the money--more upset at the fact that this cashier didn't do anything to help me, the customer, out.

I apologize for the long rant. I had to vent and thought this an appropriate place. Wal-Mart should be a little more careful of the type of people they hire, although with the way things are looking as of late that's not on their list of priorities.

Thanks,
Matt

Maybe I'll score some gift cards or something. ...but then again it is wal-mart...

Last edited by mblouir; 09-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, my wife and I used to do all of our shopping at Wal Mart because like you it was convient for us. We have now started shopping at our local food stores because of the very reasons you mentioned the employee attitudes are a bit lacking at times and a few various reasons that I wont get into. Its like they have forgotten that with out us the consumer they wouldnt be in buisness and think that they have us by the short and curlies and customer service doesnt matter anymore.

Dave

Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM
For most purchases under 100 bucks, I pay cash. Next time, count out the bills out loud and the cashier won't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry that you lost 10 bucks, but it could've been a lot worse.

I agree, Wal-Mart is worthless. Their customer service started going downhill after Sam Walton died in the '90s. They never have enough cashiers on duty anymore.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 AM

True. I counted them before handing them to her but didn't count out loud. You're right it could have been a lot worse--but I'm not upset over the money. I was actually a little shocked that she noticed her mistake and didn't do anything about it...

I agree about them not having enough cashiers anymore. They have turned into K-Mart. I may start shopping at Ingles. They're cleaner, anyway.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Had a similar experience at a KFC about 13 years ago. I gave the guy a $20 and he claimed it was a ten. This was when I was in college also. $10 is a lot to a college kid, especially when you pay your own way. I was in the drivethru and I made the guy get his manager and count the drawer. It took about 5 minutes and I'm sure people were pissed but so what, it's my hard earned money...

Turns out the guys drawer was over by $17... So not only did he try to screw me out of my $10, but I am sure his stellar math capabilities screwed a few more people out of their correct change also. I did get my $10 back though.

Hopefully they will comp you something, but it's Walmart, so I doubt you will even get a response. You'll do much more damage in the long run by never shopping there. But I hear ya, I'd be pissed also.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM
10 bucks is alot to most of us right now and 10 bucks equals 3.8 gallons of diesel in my tank so I can get to work and get my step son to and from school thats what really pisses me off about that kind of mistake. When I used to work counter sales I would count the bills when the customer was standing there to make sure what the customer gave was correct no matter how busy we were.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
You should have talked with the manager on duty - he/she could have pulled her drawer and counted it out. Yeah, you would have to wait, but it's your money.

I am getting to the point where I hate to go to Wally World. I go first thing in the morning when most butt clowns are still at home - get in, get out. But I love that $22 jug of Mobil 1!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Matt, if you have a debit card that's what you should be using in these type transactions around town. Save the large cash transactions for your bank teller window.

I have a fairly high income yet rarely am I walking around with more than ten dollars in my pocket.

It took awhile to convince my two daughters who waitressed through college to get away from the cash lifestyle. I know it's a hassle to make deposits but, in the long run it's better than a jar of cash in your dorm room sock drawer.

Plastic of some kind is accepted just about everywhere now and you have precise record of what came in and what went out to help you budget your finances.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 AM
While impossible to prove, I doubt if there was anything 'accidental' about the missing $10 for the OP at Wal*Mart and jk007's $10 at KFC.

The cashier was simply going to give themselves a $10 bonus with your money when their shift was over. They knew all along their drawer was over and by exactly what amount, and they were going to pocket the overage before the drawer ever go counted.

Dishonest cashiers have been doing this since cash was invented. Most customers are inattentive, and if they do get 'caught' they pretend it was an honest mistake.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 AM

I usually use debit. Almost exclusively.

The purchase I made was for a 10x10 canopy for tailgating. We had four of us roommates pitch in for it so I had all the cash on hand. That's the only reason I used cash this time.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
You can still go to the store and ask for them to verify her cash till. I'm not sure how they do it there but the cashiers have to be balanced on a certain day. I doubt it's on a daily basis, to much work. I'm sure you can still call and explain to them what happen and they'll balance her and see that you're right.

That's given she hasn't already pocketed the money, knowing she was going to be over. She probably hasn't taken it, she'll give it a day to be sure you didn't come back.

Last edited by ddgarcia05; 09-16-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by ddgarcia05
That's given she hasn't already pocketed the money, knowing she was going to be over. I doubt she pocketed the money already. She'll give it a day to be sure you didn't come back.
Money probably got pocketed.

Let's say she is targeting to be $20 over by the end of her shift. $10 here, $1, there, etc...

Near the end of her shift someone pays here with a $20, it gets palmed and goes into her pocket while she is making change.

Drawer balances, she steals $20 from the customers over the shift, and no one ever notices.

Savvy managers and customers should always be on the look out for this sort of thing.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mblouir
I usually use debit. Almost exclusively.

The purchase I made was for a 10x10 canopy for tailgating. We had four of us roommates pitch in for it so I had all the cash on hand. That's the only reason I used cash this time.
I kinda figured a mechanical engineer was on the ball and this was just an anomaly.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 AM
For some reason Matt's post bothers me. The problem is that Matt was a ***** and LET himself get screwed over by a cashier at Wallyworld. All Matt had to do was call a manager over, have them count the drawer down and if there was an overage it would have showed up. Problem solved.

In the future Matt, nut up or shut up!

Last edited by SSCULLY; 09-16-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: The word filter is there for a reason
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I would have made the manager balance the drawer right then and there. You want to steal from me?? BS.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart...my $10 rant