Dog Potty Training - Tips Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive always had labradors but the way i have trained them from pups was to cover the kitchen floor with newspaper and keep the dogs basket in there, they then do there jobs on the paper. Slowly reduce the amount of paper over time and they contiue to use the paper. The paper is then transfered outside to the garden an they get used to going out side, after a while the paper then dissapears but the dog is trained to go or ask to go out.

obviously rewarding the dog for learning is important.

God i sound like that bloody dog whisperer guy !!!

Last edited by UKSteveF150; 08-28-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
1. rubbing a dogs nose it in it does nothing, the dog doesnt put 2 and 2 together all it knows is that ur angry. Same thing with hitting the dog, all your teaching him is to not trust you.

2. it's a small dog so has a smaller bladder, take the dog out every 1-2 hours and praise it immediately when it goes potty.

3. never leave the dog unsupervised, if you cant watch it then put it in its crate until it is 100% potty trained

4. make sure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean up any mess he makes otherwise he will still be able to smell it

Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Penguin86
1. rubbing a dogs nose it in it does nothing, the dog doesnt put 2 and 2 together all it knows is that ur angry. Same thing with hitting the dog, all your teaching him is to not trust you.
beg to differ. it may have been a long time, but it's just as effective now as it was when I did it last time.

I've seen a difference in just 1 week. This guy is just taking a bit longer for 2+2 to = 4

last dog I was also able to train to poop only in 1 spot of the yard...was very nice since I hate picking up crap when it's still steamy...and you don't have to worry about landmines
2. it's a small dog so has a smaller bladder, take the dog out every 1-2 hours and praise it immediately when it goes potty.
doing
3. never leave the dog unsupervised, if you cant watch it then put it in its crate until it is 100% potty trained
doing. bit hard though to see him 100% at all times. we close all the doors so he is limited quite a small area luckily. but blind spots are blind spots, and he knows where they are.

he is already 100% crate trained. He'll hold that stuff for 8+ hours no problem. I'm trying to move away from the crate so he is out n' about in the house at all times unless we are gone.
4. make sure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean up any mess he makes otherwise he will still be able to smell it
doing. 1st thing we did. had to make sure the floors were clean for my babies
thx

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey---Tylus---if you wanted advice, why get upset when you read stuff you do not agree with? by the way---just got off the phone with my vet---a former student of mine, and he agrees with what the Penguin said---rubbing the nose in it does not have the effect you think it does...but this is coming from a veterinarian, someone who has gone to school to deal effectively with training, healilng, and treating dogs...I would trust him more than I would trust myself---or even your ideas

No need for you to become a smart ****---you did ask for advice, did you not? If you don't like the advice, don't use it---stick to your own ways...but they sound like they are not quite as effective as you would like them to be, correct?
TSC

Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by referee54
Hey---Tylus---if you wanted advice, why get upset when you read stuff you do not agree with? by the way---just got off the phone with my vet---a former student of mine, and he agrees with what the Penguin said---rubbing the nose in it does not have the effect you think it does...but this is coming from a veterinarian, someone who has gone to school to deal effectively with training, healilng, and treating dogs...I would trust him more than I would trust myself---or even your ideas

No need for you to become a smart ****---you did ask for advice, did you not? If you don't like the advice, don't use it---stick to your own ways...but they sound like they are not quite as effective as you would like them to be, correct?
TSC
it would appear you are getting personal bud. At no point was I being a "smart ****"

I know from experience that the method works. Did it for many many dogs, then went to cats for a time.

My friends and family do it that way as well...guess what. Works there also.

on the other hand, my wife is part of the non-rubbing crowd. But then again, her last dog got kicked out of the house because it went ****/poop anywhere it felt like. became a strictly yard only dog. Was so set in it's way that we couldn't correct 8yrs of the it not being corrected...and she wouldn't let me try my method.

I'm open to suggestions that work.
In 1 weeks time I have cut the incidents in 1/2 or better. And that is the only regime change that was added.
prior to that, I tried my wife/Penguin/Your method for about 2 weeks. Had enough of it. It didn't work. and things were not getting better.

I don't just wily nilly do things. If it works I'll do it.

If I had done the rubbing method a couple of days and there wasn't any improvement...well I'd quit. You think I like the thought of him running around with crap on his nose.

I feel for the little dude, but the pooping/peeing is going to stop. Rest assured, he is loving life otherwise. Got 3 kids and a wife who dote on him, and I'm not adverse to running him out back until he falls down for a nap.
now if only I could get my bitch of a cat to be nice to him

Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 AM
not even going to argue with you about rubbing the nose it in and hitting the dog..knew you would have that reaction anyways.

You'll only have yourself to blame when the dog cowers in fear everytime you go to touch it. lord knows if you smack it to house trained you'll do the same with the rest of the training.

its ok, only been studying/researching dogs for 10 yrs now and have housetrained 8 of my own by the time they were 12 weeks old..i have no clue what i'm talkin about

Last edited by Penguin86; 08-29-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 AM

if u say what you are doing is working, just keep it up. and someone said they can relapse, it is true. my 9yr old lab is now outside b/c she started going in the house again!!

also, very cute kids!!! i have my 3rd due in early dec!!

Old 08-29-2009, 01:55 AM

knew I shouldn't have mentioned the Nose rubbing. There are always people who claim it doesn't work. My wife is one of those...and she is eating her words right now.

anyhoo, sorry I caused this de-railing. This is as touchy a subject as politics.
Originally Posted by Penguin86
not even going to argue with you about rubbing the nose it in and hitting the dog..knew you would have that reaction anyways.

You'll only have yourself to blame when the dog cowers in fear everytime you go to touch it. lord knows if you smack it to house trained you'll do the same with the rest of the training.

its ok, only been studying/researching dogs for 10 yrs now and have housetrained 8 of my own by the time they were 12 weeks old..i have no clue what i'm talkin about
I'm glad your method works. It doesn't work for me
same thing occurs when you teach kids. 1 method doesn't work for everybody. various methods exist...it's the final results that matter.

feel free to be all high an mighty in your opinion from upon such high exalted slopes...I guess I've been relegated to the Fear Mongering Animal Cruelty type...so be it. I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it.

Texas doesn't cower or **** himself when I come near him or call him. He is a happy puppy. He has a grasp of wrong/right already.
some people believe in love & harmony and that counseling & hugs will cure everything. Others grew up with hard knocks and learned things in the real world.
My prior dogs were well adjusted animals that I had zero issues with once they learned the rules. I'm 100% certain this dog will be exactly the same.

please, if you are going to attack my methods...don't bother. This site has enough issues without people getting on a Bandwagon because it isn't their ideal. I'd rather not see this thread die in a Flame War. We each have stated our Piece. Can we leave it there?

I really appreciate the advice. Like I said it has been a long time. I've got a decent handle on it currently, but I'm open to easier/better methods. And faster is a definite bonus.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tylus
knew I shouldn't have mentioned the Nose rubbing. There are always people who claim it doesn't work. My wife is one of those...and she is eating her words right now.
If that's working so well why are you asking here for advice on how to potty train? Or were you just having a rant?

This is the first house dog I've had in my 42 years of life. The first was this cat of ours we've had for a few years. Didn't even have to train it. So I've done a lot of reading on this subject.

Our dog is only 6 months old. We got her a couple months ago or so. We did crate training. Always in the crate or interacting with someone when out of it. She's done really well. And her most recent episodes have been human error, not animal. The only time I've scolded her and held her head so she would look at it, is when I caught her in the act.

Experts (?) say dogs have no idea what they're being punished or scolded for unless they are caught in the act. I believe it. You can tell it in their mannerisms. These experts also say whipping or beating the animal will only make them fear you. Bad part about that is, if the animal is big enough it could remember all those beatings one day when you're asleep on the couch.

The reason I don't punish, beat, scold, kick, throw when she lapses is because I don't want her scared of me.

The problem is I want results now. Patience isn't my greatest virtue.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 AM
it would appear you are getting personal bud. At no point was I being a "smart ****"
Not personal---just sarcastic

TSC

Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
something else i thought of last night and I think someone else sort of mentioned earlier was to watch the dog for signs that it has to potty. Most dogs have some sort of distinct behaviour when they have to potty. when my pit bull was a pup he would carry his tail high and sort of over his back when he needed to potty, every time i saw his tail like that i would immediately grab him and put him outside, it worked like a charm and he was the easiest to potty train, he got it down at 8 weeks..

and yea to touch on the scolding/smacking stuff mxracer is completely right. Dogs dont know why your mad they just know your mad. Try walking into the room when the dog has done nothing wrong and doing the same behaviour you do when he does do something wrong and you'll see he acts the same way.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Old 08-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Suspended
Rubbing Nose in Poop/**** - pretty damn effective...problem is, he is getting better at hiding it.
hahaha. little bastard! thats what my new pup did too. she'd run to another room and ****. Pissed on my roommates bed while I was gone once (maybe he should've paid more attn, and let her outside? just saying...hahaha)

The nose rubbin & butt swattin is the best I've come across. Just gotta get them in the habit, and in my case wait til her bladder was able to hold more.

And, as everyone else has said, watch him. You'll know when he is about to mess. It sucks that he is older, but you can still nip it in the bud

looonnnggg little bugger you've got there. haha.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i did the rubbing the nose in there mess and it worked 100 percent she was potty trained in about 7-8 weeks. also if you crate train them they will not hardly ever use the bathroom in there because they dont like having it on them. Diffrent methods work with diffrent animals

Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is what has worked for me in the past:

I have never ever crated a dog for training. Dogs are social and want to be part of the program. Once you begin isolating a dog for long periods of time, your real troubles are about to begin. Crating the dog while you are at work--in the beginning okay--but not all day even while someone is home. Like I said, I never have crated any of my dogs for training (we have three pitt bull terriers). It helps that I have had dogs all my life and that my wife owns a dog business.

A lot of the previous suggestions are good, especially the making the dog go outside after playing or drinking and such. And especially when the little guy starts to do the sniffing around and moving his butt. Taking the dog out consistently as noted in a previous post is pretty good advice. Praising the dog only when he does the right thing is very important--you might want to give him a treat only during this good behaviour.

The following method has worked for me in the past:

Confine the dog to an area that is easy to clean up like a kitchen with no carpet. When the dog makes a mistake, wipe up the puddle with a rag and stake the rag outside in the area where you want the dog to go. When the dog leaves a solid contribution on the floor, pick it up with a rag and stake the rag and the contribution outside in the area where you want the dog to go. Take the dog with when you do this. Also, during the day, when it is time to do the business, take the dog outside to that spot. Take him out to the spot consistently. The dog will eventually get the idea that is where this stuff belongs. Sounds crazy, but it has worked for me in the past.

It is really easy to train a new dog if you already have a dog in the house that is trained for the outside mission. The new dog will simply start doing what the older dog does--like doing his business outside. Years ago when I lived at home with my folks, we trained a deaf puppy to go outside with the help of the older dog. It worked.

The one thing needed is patience. Good luck.

TonyM.

Moderator--Not that I am into post counting, but I have made several posts on these F-150 forums but my post count remains at two.

Last edited by TonyM4x4F150; 08-30-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Dog Potty Training - Tips Please