Thank God for tow hooks and trailer hitches

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Thank God for tow hooks and trailer hitches

I got rear-ended yesterday on the way home by a 90 Fullsize Chevy van, and pushed into a 95 Chevy Silverado. Luckily, the van hit my hitch, so the only visible damage in the rear is some ripples in the plastic bumper cover at the step portion of the bumper. The van lost bumper, radiator, etc. and had to be towed from the scene. In the front, the tow hooks saved me from major damage. My front license plate bracket was knocked loose, the tow hooks were scratched (and possibly knocked out of alignment), and the bumper has a small ripple in it. The Silverado's rear bumper folded up under the bed. After we all got off the road and got out of our vehicles, the two Chevy drivers looked at their vehicles, then looked at my truck and said "Guess I shoulda bought a Ford". Sucks to be hit, but could have been a lot worse without the hitch and hooks!

Oh yeah - the only one issued a ticket was the one in the van, so guess his insurance company will be loving him!

------------------
Y2K SD250 SC XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, Auto; SWB; Off Road Pkg; Towing Pkg; Torreador Red; Sliding Back Glass; Tinted Windows

Mods (minor so far):Westin step bars (black powdercoat), Bugflector II bug shield, Pendaliner S/R bedliner, AVS Ventvisors, GTS Slotted taillight covers, Ford logo brake light (hitch plug), Husky liner mudflaps (F&R), Rancho RS9000s, Retrax bedcover on order (Delivery scheduled 6/21!)

Wish List:
Gibson SS exhaust, AirAid or K&N FIPK, Grill guard

Old 06-20-2001, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted a similar story a while back that my mom endured... she had a full size van at the time, and my dad always left the trailer hitch in it just out of laziness. She got rear ended by a windstar that was doing 40 (my mom was stopped). Slammed into the hitch, and pushed my mom into the Chevy Celebrity in front of her hard enough to trip the fuel cut-off switch in the chebby. Did $8000 in damage to the Windstar, and they had to tow the Chevy because they couldn't find the fuel pump reset.

My mom's van had a scuff in the front bumper, some beige paint on the trailer hitch, and a scuff in the clear coat an inch high the width of the right rear door where the hood of the Windstar buckled against it. My mom was the only one that drove away from the accident scene! The body shop buffed out the scratches in the door and replaced the front bumper (unnecessarily). I went and saw the Windstar the next day... the whole front half of the van was crumpled, the airbags were popped... it was messed up something fierce. I couldn't believe there was that much damage on it, and so little on my mom's van.

My three favorite words: Built Ford Tough!

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof($1000), built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners($36), Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard($700), Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio($100) with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now [$40]), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way... $140) Fog Light Switch mod(free!!!), Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbar w/ 2" stainless steel ball($80), Gray Tek Style Soft Tonneau Cover($250), Gray Line-X Bedliner ($450).
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, Chrome ORP rims.
93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain, leaky exhaust.

Old 06-21-2001, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear your okay!

I'm pretty happy with my Ford CAR also! After being hit in the rear (offset on top of that! ~ The idiot tried to avoid me) by a Pathfinder doing 60km/h and me at a dead stop! Of course my car had to be towed because I had no more taillights or rear window (blew on impact). If people would have been sitting in the back, they would have been okay also because the seat didn't move and the structure stayed intact from the rear window area to the front.

The Pathfinder had a badly bent bumper, broken radiator, and the left fender bent in such a way that it carved into the front tire.

I've heard that a Civic looked worse than my car after being ran into by a Tercel going just a little faster than the Pathfinder!

Quick Reply: Thank God for tow hooks and trailer hitches