Metric or Standard

Old 08-13-1999, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Metric or Standard

Yesterday I finally got my plates from the DMV so I went out to my truck with my ratchets to put it on. I first tried metric, but to my surprise it was standard (3/8"). I thought most car makers were switching over to communist,... I mean metric. I figure there has to be someone out there who is heavily mechanical and done a lot of work to their F150. Are most of the nuts and bolts on the newer F150s standard or metric? I'm just curious on this. Oh, don't get me wrong metric has it's place. But as soon as I leave that science lab out into America, I want my Imperial System.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-13-1999, 06:49 PM
J-C
That's a good question, Freezer!
I just got the Ford mud-flaps I ordered and
the directions said I needed a 6mm wrench to
install the fronts and a 10mm & 13mm to install the rears.
My smallest socket was 7mm, so I went out and bought 1 6mm socket - the others I had...
When I started the installation, I found that the 6mm socket was too big, but my 7/32 nut-driver fit it perfectly! SURPRISE
Before I tackled the rear installation, I checked the sizes. Yup! 10mm and 13mm were the correct sizes.

Maybe half the truck is metric and the rest is SAE...

PS. My license plates are held on with Phillips screws into square nylon "nuts"

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-13-1999, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... You "yanks" got to get with the times. CANADA has been using the metric system for over 20 years easy.8-) But it still seems that the auto manufactures can't seem to make up their minds yet to use SAE or METRIC. Mabey they are trying to please everyone. I think the only ones that get really pissed off, are the mechanics that have to work on these trucks.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 3.55L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP (truck won't start,"DAM"!!, soon to be installed 4.10 gears.

Old 08-14-1999, 09:58 PM
Well I guess I can answer my own question. I just finished installation of factory fog lamps on my 4x2 truck (see my post on Other Aftermarket for more info on that). From this all day experience, during which I saw areas of my truck I hope I never have to see again, I learned that the F150 has both Metric and Standard. Most of it was metric, but there were enough standard bolts to keep you guessing.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 08-14-1999, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish they stick to one instead of useing both metric and standard. But then again that would be to easy for us to work on our trucks.

Old 08-15-1999, 01:02 PM
Neal, If we went to your metric, would our money be worth .60 on the current dollar also?

Old 08-15-1999, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Actually it's only 49 cents on the dollar8-)

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 3.55L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP (truck won't start,"DAM"!!, soon to be installed 4.10 gears.

Old 08-15-1999, 08:48 PM
Red face

My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic, mostly diesels (caterpiller) He said my engine is mostly metric but changing the spark plugs he used standard sockets. I guess you really need one of those combination tool boxes

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 01-29-2000, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

When I put on my running boards both a 13mm and the 1/2" sockets fit!

Old 01-29-2000, 10:31 PM
There are several sizes that are almost a perfet fit:

5/16 = 8mm
9/16 = 14 mm
11/16 = 17 mm

1/2 = 12.7 mm. Sometimes that one works, sometimes it doesn't. The others almost always do.

Old 01-29-2000, 10:54 PM
Banned
I thought Imperial was a totally different system from English and metric? I.e., Triumph and Bastard Stopped Again, I mean BSA, motorcycles used the Imperial system and it was some off the wall bulls*** to get wrenches to fit.

Old 01-29-2000, 11:47 PM
I was pretty pissed when I figured it out that I needed a metric socket to remove my throttle body bypass.

Old 01-30-2000, 08:22 AM
Many times, a 10mm will work for 3/8" also.

Old 01-31-2000, 02:10 PM
Wink

Quit whinin' and just get a set of each, like I did!
Geeeeeez you guys sound like girls: "What? We need MORE tools?"
A REAL MAN enjoys every opportunity to get more tools, then a bigger tool box ect. Think about that when your wife wants another pair of totally useles "only-goes-with-one-outfit-that-will-be-out-of-style-before-it's-paid-off" pair of shoes.

------------------
Andthensometoo ®
"Moonlight Blue" 98 F150 SC XLT 2WD 4.6, 3.55 LS Tow Pkg. SUPERCHIP, K&N Airbox mod. w/ "Cool" intake, Mobil One Oil, Bosch +4's, Throttle Body Spacer Plate. Lund Fastback, Lighted visor, Runninng Boards, Crome Taillight covers, Polished Steel Fenderwell Moldings, Smoked Bug and Rain guards, Shelf-it, Carpet dash cover, "Andthensometoo" in silver Letters 3" tall on tail gate. Red Wings license plate in front, Red Wings license plate frame in back, Little Detroit Viper hanging from mirror, Oh yeah, and one "Blacked-out" grill.
Gonna get my Bed rails back on, Finally!
Couldn't find the right Polished steel design, so once I modify the powercoated ones I just bought, I will paint them.

Q: who wants my "Pocket Mount" chrome ones? Price:cost of shipping, or gas and maybe lunch if you live in S/E MI.

"Rocks don't move unless pushed, and neither do chevys!"

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/daytona/843/

Old 01-31-2000, 02:17 PM
Banned
No complaints here. I went out and got metric combination wrenches ( two sets), 3/8" drive sockets, 1/4" drive sockets, and metric mini wrenches. I'm still trying to find some metric crescent wrenches, pipe wrenches, and screw drivers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metric or Standard