F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Found On Road Dead (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/35508-found-road-dead.html)

Runaway 08-22-1999 11:44 PM

Found On Road Dead

Ford Quality #1 is a bunch of bull. Having become a Ford owner again after being with GM and Dodge for 17 years, I was looking for exciting changes Ford has spouted off about. What I found was alot of the same'ol'same. I purchased a "97" F-150 4x4, 5.4L, auto and 3.55 gears. Truck pulled the load well. Thats all that the Ford could do. It wouldn't stay in the road in a crosswind. Always had to constantly correct the steering. It couldn't pass a gas station -- 15 mpg is the average compared to 19/20 with the previous Chev truck. Oil leaks galore. This truck leaked an average of 2 Qts of oil every 3000 miles. Ford would fix one leak and other would appear.

After Market products. K&N Air Filter -- good on the low end, no help mileage wise.

Tried the Superchip form this sites friendly https://www.f150online.com/f150board/frown.gif distrubutor. Buyer beware. All I can honestly say is the transmission shifted firmer. Any additional performance gains I really could not tell any difference.
I opted to turn it back in on the 30 day trial period. Only recieved a portion of the money back. Some guarantee???

What id I trade for, see my signature. Why not a Ford Superduty, didn't handle any better than the F-150. Plus the 99 psd's fuel mileage have not been very promising. My Cummins is getting 21 mpg on interstate @ 70 mph. 15mpg pulling 5ver and boat.

One final note, you youngsters that have to add all the after market products to be able to defeat stock Chev, GMC, and Rams, just go out and buy one of the competitors and save some money.

Ok one other item, this is a good site for info on these trucks. Keep up the good work Steve.

mudder 08-23-1999 01:10 AM

Why all the complaning? I don't quite understand why you guys complain about why your Ford is bein a problem. I believe it's just all in your heads. So, your truck has a problem, well go hop in a Dodge or a Chevy, happy trails to ya. But you're not gonna be any better off. And just one other thing about complaining about gas mileage, it's a TRUCK, what do you expect? But oh wait, the chevy gets 20mpg, while I'll never believe they do, atleast not in a 4 wheel drive with that big v8. But hey, best of luck to ya, never had any problems with my FORD. And as far as the Cummins engine goes, well I don't think anybody will argue that it is a very fine engine, but there is only one problem , and the problem is that the engine is surrounded by a Dodge. Might as well be wrapped up in tin foil. Oh, and my last comment, as far as heavy duty trucks go (1 ton and over), the Ford Super Duty stands alone, I know, got one in my driveway. That Powerstroke is really nice. See ya out there, and if ya hop in a Chevy, I'll see ya on the side off the road.

------------------
Stone Cold, Black 98 Styleside S/C F150 4x4 0RP 5.4 3.55ls, Magnum bug shield,Grizzly
roll bar,2 Baja lights, 4 165 watt KC lights (I can turn night into day), Manik grille guard,Westin step bars,Sonic aluminum treadplate 36" tool box, Flowmaster dual exhaust, K/N air filter, 265/75/16 BFG AT/s, American Racing Baja wheels and a F150 Online sticker
. More to come for the Attention Getter: Ramsey winch will be on it real soon (hopefully), 2 more KC lights, Rancho shocks. If you would like to see pics, email me at mudder46@hotmail.com or go to http://www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index2a.html
http://members.aol.com/AD%20OffRoad/truck.gif

Tim the Tool Man 08-23-1999 06:37 AM

Why is it all you GM guys are whinners? As far as your comments about stock trucks, I would love to come across a stock RAM or Chevy who feels trigger happy with my stock F150. Maybe if he's fast enough he'll have time to read my bumper sticker.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif

------------------
Chevy, I don't think so Al
Try a 1999 F-150 XLT, Ext.Cab, 5.4L, 3:55 limited slip, 4x4, Black Clearcoat with Tan interior,Sport pakage, Tonneau.

wolvrin704 08-23-1999 09:09 AM

I've had my F-150 for a year now and had NO problems, none. It has plenty of power and gets 17-18MPG. Thats great for a truck. My old truck was a 93 Toyota ext, cab with a 4cylinder and I considered it a good day to get over 20 MPG, it usually averaged about 19-20. So with my current MPG with a full size truck and V-8 power I have no complaints. If you want great gas mileage get a Geo. Thats my .02!

------------------

97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 tow package
K&N , Flowmaster cat-back w/3" chrome tips. Bosch+4 plugs, Superchip.
Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars.
Future mods: underdrive pulleys,4" lift, 16.5 wheels with 33's,ram air hood,and someday a supercharger.

Tina 08-23-1999 09:17 AM

Runaway: The superduty will pull better than the F150. My husband drives a F350 so he can pull those larger loads. But my F150 handles much better than his and I can even pull his loads (but not far) His truck is a 4X2 and tends to get stuck out in the boonies on occasion. He has the F350 because that's the best truck for his needs. His gas milage is in the sewer, does he care?? NO!! This truck is a work truck and that's what it does!!! MY truck is a light duty truck. It has performed over and above my expectations for it https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif If I had problems with it, I got them worked out. Since you are having a problem with steering, have you taken it in to Ford to find out if it's your driving or a mechanical problem??? 15mpg, Was that w/load or w/out?? Either way, for that big truck, it's good milage. These oil leaks???Where were they?? I had an oil leak on mine. The valve cover needed to be tighten down. Took my husband more time to get the tools than to do the work https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif I've added a lot to my beast. Not to beat anybody else, but because I wanted to. I really don't think my big heavy beast could beat the turtle down hill but it sure pulls my husbands harley up the hill https://www.f150online.com/f150board/wink.gif

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Dondo7 08-23-1999 10:17 AM

Runaway-
It sounds like you either have a bad truck or a bad attitude or both. But that's ok, I get an attitude every once in a while myself..but I don't care about all of this

What was your problem with the chip ? You didn't feel like you got any HP gains ? I saw a post by you under the computer chip section where you were looking for a chip mostly for MPG gains. I know the Superchip is kinda of spotty for MPG gains. Was this your primary gripe with the chip ? It seems everyone else is satisfied with their chip and the HP/Torque gains

------------------
99 F150 5.4 4x4 ORP 3.73 styleside deep wedgewood blue ..no mods (yet)

fordification 08-23-1999 10:19 AM

Runaway,
the lateral drag coefficient of trucks is, of coarse, going to be worse than of a cars. Remember that big box in the back? Your going to get that in all trucks, unless your tires are over inflated. If this was any worse than the other trucks, don't you think they would of brought this up in one of the 1000 different magazines comparing full size trucks. What previous chev truck are you comparing the mpg to. The new chev's are wayyyy over rated. If you don't think so, explain why there rated better than the tundra's dohc lexus engine. Give me a break. As for leaking oil, why would the f-series outsell everybody if they leak so much. If you think they all do, thats pretty weak. I gained 1.5mpg, adding a K&N on my 5.4l, increasing it to 14.5 mpg. And once again, pick up the new truck trend and take a look at the performance figures on all four trucks. Standing quarter mile empty, Chev-16.4, Dodge-16.5, Ford-16.2, Toyota-16.1 (300 lbs lighter). Loaded, Chev-17.3, Dodge-17.5, Ford-17.0, Toyota-17.3. I'd like to mention that the ford had the best lateral accelaration, and the best speed threw the slalom, even though it's the hightest and almost weighs the most (11lbs less than the dodge). Go figure. Just the facts Runaway, just the facts.

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT Reg. Cab Flareside 4x4, Black, 5.4l, 3.55LS, tow package, K&N, GTS headlight covers, Alpine changer w/FM mod, Clifford alarm system w/keyless entry & starter disable // Future considerations: 285/75/r16 Mud Terrain BFG's, bed mat, tonneau cover, suspension lift.

Superchips_Distributor 08-23-1999 06:27 PM

Dear Dondo7,

Suffice it to say that there is *far* more than meets the eye going on here, which is perhaps why this individual has *never* made any type of complaint to me, but instead does this in a section he knows I don't frequent. His emails from our "conversations" months ago would immediately tell you the story, I always save them in these types of situations, but this isn't the place for it. I will say that he originally *raved* about immediately noticing the additional power in his first email after installing it. This is strictly an issue of MPG. And that's the beginning and the end of my response to this, I am not going to help propagate hateful and BS-filled posts here.

It's a shame that everyone here has to read either his complaint or my response, what a total waste of everyone's time, and for that, you have my deepest apologies, F150online.

My thanks to those who notified me of this post.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

JA_Stang86 08-23-1999 07:50 PM

Ford F-Series #1 selling vehicle 21 years running!!! Junk?

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau, factory CD with changer (thanks Dusty), tinted windows

<URL>http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/toyota/927/triton54home.html</URL>

Freezer 08-23-1999 08:17 PM

JA_Stang86, you forgot something. Ford is also the single largest car maker. Plus Ford Motor Company is fast approaching, and hopefully will surpass, General Motors for overall largest car manufacturer.

54regcab 08-23-1999 08:34 PM

How many of the top 10 vehicles are made by Ford?
Whats the answer?
It sure isn't Ford sucks

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
4 wheel disc/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers (excellent sound)
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

[This message has been edited by 54regcab (edited 08-23-1999).]

Triton46 08-23-1999 09:00 PM

Why is it these guys come on here, complain then never show there face again. This is just another case of a car person buying a truck and then comparing the two. Ive had mine for 2 years 3 months, over 38000 miles and its been the best vehicle Ive ever driven. The power is there when I need it, but I certainly dont expect to pass the Corvette down the street. I do expect to haul more camping gear, lumber, furniture, etc than said Corvette because after all...its a truck and thats what it does best.

kkirt1 08-23-1999 10:00 PM

Ditto! Even with the few annoyances that I have had, this truck is by far the best machine I have ever had the pleasure of driving.

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, SC, ORP, 5.4, Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt nerf bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks and fog light mod.

hmustang 08-23-1999 10:59 PM

Well the best thing for runaway to do is go back to his dodge and chevy if he doesn't like his ford but when I travel on vacations what do I see on the side of the road broke down alot of gm cars and trucks with the blinkers flashing no one around if i see a ford on the side of the road 9 times out of 10 its for a flat tire and thats about the only way to stop a ford unless it runs out of gas.

Boardman 08-24-1999 02:34 AM

Well Runaway I am sorry you had such a bad experience with FORD. You may have had one of the rare lemons that all manufacturers seem to produce on occasion. Your new truck may be trouble free for as long as you own it, I hope so. I have owned a Dodge or two (not a truck) Toyotas and Fords. I have had no preconceptions on what manufacturer I wanted when I was looking to buy, just went out and found what I was looking for. I don't think it is fair to blast Ford for one bad experience.
As far as gas mileage, who buys a truck for gas mileage? I don't know what mileage I get - have never checked - because I don't care. If I was concerned with mileage I would have bought an econo-box.
As far as the SuperChip, I don't have one but have read nothing but good things about it on this board. If it did not do what it was supposed to I would think you would read about it all over this board.
As far as mods - I added them to enhance performance, not to beat anyone in a race. If I had bought a Chevy or a Dodge I would have added the same mods. Several people on this board like to run against the Chevys and Dodges, as well as other Fords - all in good fun, brag when you win, whine when you lose, thats the way it is.
I've tried not to take offense at your post but the more I read it, it just sounds like sour grapes to me....

------------------
Mike Boardman '99 F150XLT 4X4 RC,FS,4.6,5spd,3.55LS,ORP,
Towing pkg,K&N GenII FIPK,FLowMaster,SnugLid,Luverne Nerf bars,
bug shield, DK Toreador Red.
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.