CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)

I know you young whipper-snappers may not know much about CB's (If you're under 30), but they were in just about everybody's car in the 70's & 80's. I guess they were the cell phones of the day.

Base Station at home, CB in the car...

I know a couple of CB guys, one of my best friends in the Army goes by the call sign "Too Tuff" on his CB. Talk about firepower- this dude has like 3-4 amps on this thing, with 3 batteries running it. He kicks out so much juice, I've heard his voice coming through my speakers, even though my stereo wasn't on. (No exaggeration)

Does anyone here still do the CB thing? If so- have you ever heard of "Too Tuff (tough)? If so, tell him BigHersh is looking for him.

You'll know him if he comes up, not many people can talk over him, unless its another member of his crew. They didn't hang out on 19, they hung out on other channels... 27, if memory serves.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:22 PM
i use my CB all the time but im in maryland so i never heard anything from your friend lol

Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by 06FX4
i use my CB all the time but im in maryland so i never heard anything from your friend lol
Well, he claims that with the right "atmospherics" he has talked to folks in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, and Jamaica, from Texas. As described above, he has a lot of juice, but it would seem the folks he's talking too would have to be juiced up too, to talk back that is, hearing him wouldn't...

We had RATT rigs that talked to RATT Operators at Fort Bragg from Germany, but RATT's used to put out way more juice than the average CB. When they'd key their mike's, your hear a 5K generator slow down a little bit.

I always thought such feats were BS, before then...

Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 PM
yeah, cb with us every trip we took as a kid...i'm actually about to buy one to put in my pickup

Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have a c.b. in my truck. As do most people with '' real trucks'' in this area.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I've had a CB since the 70's. Have one in my 2001 L and in my 1997 F150 XLT. If I'm driving, I'm listening.

I've talked around the world on mine and that's without a huge 'kicker'. What allows for this the phenomenon known as SKIP.

Some skip info.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:42 PM
At the last shop I worked at in Tennessee I saw an old driver talk to his son who was in California at the time over his cb. I know he was in California because he was a driver too and I pulled his truck's gps signal up on the computer mapping program we had. All the drivers we had took their cb's serious.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Larry227
At the last shop I worked at in Tennessee I saw an old driver talk to his son who was in California at the time over his cb. I know he was in California because he was a driver too and I pulled his truck's gps signal up on the computer mapping program we had. All the drivers we had took their cb's serious.
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOOP
Sorry, you'll have to speak up, I can't hear you over my BS alarm...

Old 02-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I've been driving a truck for 16 years or more now and have had a CB for most of those years. Honestly, with cell phones, I don't feel a need for them. They have so much useless chatter going on that they are more annoyance than help. They're still handy for bear reports if you are speeding. I don't even have one in my truck anymore.

I have a Galaxy 33 that used to get out pretty good. You had to have a linear hooked up to walk on me with that bad boy. Some guys take them much more seriously and have a linear hooked up though. I know a guy that claimed he could light up a fluorescent light bulb 20 yards from his radio. Never saw it myself.

Last edited by Odin's Wrath; 02-10-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I like using a CB---I have had one in either my car ---now my truck. When I ref, I use it on the interstates---better than a radar detector. I also talk with the guys on theway--- I have the same kind of CB as 04 Red Lariet.

TSC

Old 02-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm only a product of the 80s but got my tweaked uniden on all the time.

(wow, back in the days of the cassette!)

Ignore the quick splice suitcase connectors, I've since soldered/heatshrunk a perminant connection.

This shot shows just enough clearance fer the shifter, and it's in a handy reach for me.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 AM
I have one, it's not hooked up right now but it's still in the truck!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:55 AM
I remember when you used to have an FCC license to operate a CB radio legally. That was light years ago.

Mine wuz KTQ-3813 if'n I remember correctly.

There might be times when you cannot get a cell signal that a CB still might come in handy in an emergency.

Last edited by Patrick@hmsga; 02-11-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:23 AM
This here redneck has one also...

And here's the antennas....

Old 02-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by OnBelay
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOOP
Sorry, you'll have to speak up, I can't hear you over my BS alarm...
Skip does exist. so you should probably get that BS alarm recalibrated lol. You also don't need tons of power to shoot skip, but it does help.I've even talked to people that i actually know when they were hundreds of miles away.

Shooting skip on the normal 1-40 channels is a bit more difficult as well. When the skip is rolling there is usually just other noise to get through but it can be done. The best chance to shoot skip is either on sidebands or on extra channels. I have a Cobra 148GTL and a Cobra 29Classic. Both peaked, clipped, tuned, extra channel kits, with connex echo boards. Both dead key below 4 watts and swing into the 20's. That means with the modulation it gets into the 20's. I also used to have a texas star v-modulator linear and a palomar 250 linear. Both of those have been long gone though. For a while in the 90's I was really into CB's. For my mobile I use a WILSON 1000 antenna or a Wilson 5000 and for my base i used to have an AMTRON 99. Nowadays I only hook one up when I travel but i do miss it sometimes.

Quick Reply: CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)