CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akheloce
Careful... I dont know the laws where you are, but up here, you cant use a radio communications device in any way shape or form to assist in a hunt. Dept of F&G scans all the CB and FRS freqs looking for that. I wasn't even aware of it until I saw a story in the local paper where they confiscated a guy's rifle, 4-wheeler, and truck for using a FRS walkie-talkie to tell his son where to meet him to help with his caribou.
I was not aware of that... plese delete the quote atleast until I can research this.....

Kind of stupid IMO, it has been a nice tool and probably saved lives on deer hunts so everyone knows where everyone is.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
I was not aware of that... plese delete the quote atleast until I can research this.....

Kind of stupid IMO, it has been a nice tool and probably saved lives on deer hunts so everyone knows where everyone is.
perfectly legal in ny

Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I got a new CB for my birthday last night. I got a Cobra 18wx st. Getting ready to go hook it up as we speak. It should put out a lot more than my little radio-crap one did Im gonna mount it where 98lariet has his.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Yea not supposed to use them here in PA either to help kill deer, but can use them for regular communication

I have a General Lee radio in my Tri axle and a Uniden Grant in my F150 both work great with the new firestick flexible whip.

This is a great radio ]

Last edited by boomerkj; 02-13-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah, if I could get a custom console built to hide it in, I'd have one installed in my truck, with a mini antenna. I'm not as interested in getting out as I woudl be receiving.

Knowing where "Ol' Smoky" is, is more important (to me) than just talking on the CB. I used to be into it (circa 1977) My Mom had a Midland CB, and I talked on it alot. Then I had my base station (Midland) that was battery powered (One 9-volt, 4 AA's), but I could talk to her when she'd be driving home from her job. Everybody talked on 19 back then.

I don't know how many watts either radio was transmitting, but I could talk to her from about 5-6 miles away.

But, my friend that I discussed above, this dude had the most robust antenna I have ever seen on a car. That's How I could tell who was serious about CB's in the fort hood area back then. They all had big SUV's (Back when big SUV's weren't cool). The antenna's stalk from the base was probably 1/4" in diameter, and extended up maybe 4-5 feet, where it met a sping looking middle section, then from there went up another 3-4 feet as a regular whip-looking antenna. I'd be lying if I said I knew how many watts he was transmitting, all I know is he was 2-3 miles from my house one day (on his way over) and when he was talking, I could hear him through my speakers (which were off). I assume my sheilded copper Monster speaker wire was acting as an antenna, and transmitting his voice throuh the speakers even though they were not on.

I guesstimate he was 2-3 miles away. After hearing his voice I told my wife ______ was on their way in. After hearing his voice, and expecting their arrival, I went to the door and opened it, thinking he was right outside. I walked out and looked, he was no where to be seen.

2-3 minutes passed, they still hadn't got there, so I went on back in the house- thinking they were lost somewhere in the neighborhood. About 2-3 minutes after that, the door bell rang. I said, "Did you guys get lost trying to find the house?" He said no, I drove right to it, why? I said, "I've been hearign your voice in my speakers for the last 5 minutes, and just assumed you were nearby." He was like, "No, I got on the CB as we were leaving the house, and talked to a friend of mine all the way over."

Damn.. Dudes & dudetes... That's "CB" power. He's in the Skipshooters hall of fame on the internet.

I know guys who run amps, have two alternators and 2-4 batteries on their rigs. When these guys key their mike, most everyone has to listen.

If it's illegal to put an amp on a CB, where do these guys get the amps from? Are they rigging something up to act as an amplifier?

Just curious as to how someone can get their hands on amplifiers, if they are illegal to own.

Last edited by Bighersh; 02-13-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
CB radios operate on the 11 meter band. There is an amateur radio band in the 10 meter range. The amps are sold for use in the 10m band, but will work in 11 meters also. In order to use one of these amplifiers, you must be licensed by the FCC, and only use it in the 10 meter band, not on CB freq.

http://www.1stopelectronics.com/cb-amplifiers.html

Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Are there any amps out there that aren't friggin huge and ugly? Does anybody on here have any experience with them?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what the fine is if caught with an amp and how one would get caught?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
After reading through this thread I now have a strange desire to go out and rent "Smokey and the Bandit" on Betamax......

My grade school buddy's older brother had the whole deal back when we were growing up (mid-70's) with units in their pick-ups and even a ramshackle CB "shack" built behind their garage.

Me and my buddy used to break into the shack all the time because that is where the older boys kept their stash of Playboy magazines. At the time I didn't quite know what any of those pictures meant, but I knew I sure liked them.....

Last edited by ddellwo; 06-14-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Before cell phones and computer's us old timer's had to play around with the CB's. I was driving a tanker truck for Texaco in the 70's and when Convoy came out everyone had to go and get a CB for their car or truck. A lot of houses had base station's with omni-directional or beam antennas and people would be up all night talking to all of us that were driving truck's at night. On the weekend's they would have CB break's, a get together where everyone could lay the "old eyeball and handshake" on you. Pretty cool when I pulled in one night with a big KW with a tank trailer and met a lot of people that I used to talk to on the CB. I still have some old radio's that I hardly use anymore.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Suspended
i have a cb in my truck, dont use it to often unless making a trip somewhere and a friend is following me or when out trail riding its much easier to communicate over a cb than a cell phone IMO.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've got a CB, but rarely use it. In fact, it just sits out on my dash collecting dust. Actually, it's a great paper weight...

The HAM radio (which is a Yaesu FT-2800M), gets used more than I talk on my cell phone in my truck. Plus it isn't illegal... I can autopatch out and make phone calls... so heck, I don't even need a cell phone.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a CB with multiple weather channels as well---when I am on the interstates, it is the best "radar detector" that I have ever had.

TSC

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's two(have four) of mine:

Quick Reply: CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)