CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other great thing about CB's is the PA system, esp since most people thes days have no idea how I make my truck 'talk'...

Try this just once: drive through the wally world paking lot with th weather on at a relativly low volume... I didn't realiz my 3 yr old had been playing with it and lft it that way, until veryone I passed started lookingaround like crazy, and most looked up looking for plane broadcasting, or an alin ship or something...

Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by azreael344
Skip does exist. so you should probably get that BS alarm recalibrated lol. You also don't need tons of power to shoot skip, but it does help.I've even talked to people that i actually know when they were hundreds of miles away.

Shooting skip on the normal 1-40 channels is a bit more difficult as well. When the skip is rolling there is usually just other noise to get through but it can be done. The best chance to shoot skip is either on sidebands or on extra channels. I have a Cobra 148GTL and a Cobra 29Classic. Both peaked, clipped, tuned, extra channel kits, with connex echo boards. Both dead key below 4 watts and swing into the 20's. That means with the modulation it gets into the 20's. I also used to have a texas star v-modulator linear and a palomar 250 linear. Both of those have been long gone though. For a while in the 90's I was really into CB's. For my mobile I use a WILSON 1000 antenna or a Wilson 5000 and for my base i used to have an AMTRON 99. Nowadays I only hook one up when I travel but i do miss it sometimes.
I guess I should have mentioned they didn't use the normal 40 channels. The guys that had normal Cobras would get extra high and low channels installed and some had radios that you had to dial the frequency in instead of just flipping to a channel. I'm sure some skipping was involved too.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by 98Lariet4x4
The other great thing about CB's is the PA system, esp since most people thes days have no idea how I make my truck 'talk'...

Try this just once: drive through the wally world paking lot with th weather on at a relativly low volume... I didn't realiz my 3 yr old had been playing with it and lft it that way, until veryone I passed started lookingaround like crazy, and most looked up looking for plane broadcasting, or an alin ship or something...
haha ya i love my PA system, its also nice for outside party's blast music through it

Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by azreael344
Skip does exist. so you should probably get that BS alarm recalibrated lol. You also don't need tons of power to shoot skip, but it does help.I've even talked to people that i actually know when they were hundreds of miles away.
I don't deny that skip exists...but come on: He called his son from Tenn to Cali, and was able to dial him right up...and then just "happened" to have a GPS showing the proof...

I'll believe a james Bond or Steven Seagal movie before I believe that. I think the calibration is just about right!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't just "happen" to have a gps to locate his son. At the time all our trucks used a Rockwell communications/gps system so the dispatcher could send/recieve msgs and could track the trucks. I knew the guy was supposed to be in Ca. but also found it hard to believe so I pulled his truck up to check for myself. GPS in the trucking industry is pretty commonplace. It's fine if you don't believe me. I'm not going to loose any sleep.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I have one of these in my house but I haven't used it in years. It is modded for side bands and a few other things.
I have a few Turner power mics as well. I had a Shakespeare Big stick on the roof of my old house but it is long gone.
I would like to get another antenna and set it up again but it is low on my list of things to do right now.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bighersh
I know you young whipper-snappers may not know much about CB's (If you're under 30), but they were in just about everybody's car in the 70's & 80's. I guess they were the cell phones of the day.

Base Station at home, CB in the car...

I know a couple of CB guys, one of my best friends in the Army goes by the call sign "Too Tuff" on his CB. Talk about firepower- this dude has like 3-4 amps on this thing, with 3 batteries running it. He kicks out so much juice, I've heard his voice coming through my speakers, even though my stereo wasn't on. (No exaggeration)

Does anyone here still do the CB thing? If so- have you ever heard of "Too Tuff (tough)? If so, tell him BigHersh is looking for him.

You'll know him if he comes up, not many people can talk over him, unless its another member of his crew. They didn't hang out on 19, they hung out on other channels... 27, if memory serves.
I had a base station set up at the house for a while, but then I had no place to put it when my 12 year old came home... Finally, my wife made me take down the antenna. I used to talk skip to guys in Hawaii and Australia all the time. My little Uniden 510XL, running barefoot in my Jeep with a 5 foot Firestik II used to get out really nice... I could talk to a guy in Needles, CA from my driveway at the north end of Lake Havasu (though semi-faintly). That is 28 miles, as the crow flies. I had a buddy at the south end of town that I could talk with clearly on any given night. That is 5.5 miles, as the crow flies.

I just bought the same radio this weekend and will have the same setup, as soon as tax returns get back...

I love CB radios. My handle is... BRUZR

Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a CB in my truck. It even has a detachable face. I got twin antennas mounted to my roll bar. 10-4 good buddy.

It's real useful when four-wheeling in groups and such.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 02-12-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Cobra 29 LTD NW:

I love it...it's great on the trips, and you can't beat the PA. One of these days, I'm going to get the power turned up on it.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Cobra 29 LTD NW:
I love it...it's great on the trips, and you can't beat the PA. One of these days, I'm going to get the power turned up on it.
Mind if I ask where you got that floor console?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by AAlmeter
Mind if I ask where you got that floor console?
It was in the truck when I bought it, but from what I've gathered, it's a Clarion 8" Camoflauge sub. Rockpick had one in his old KR, he'll know more about it then I will. Not very high power, but adds some good bass to the system.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't have the best CB, but it works well and I like the idea I can get help if I need it---I have been in some dead cell phone areas during my travels as a ref, but the CB always has people on the interstate on it. I velcro'd mine to the dash---along with the mike clip, so no holes have been drilled---and the super velcro holds very nicely.

I just use a magnetic mount antenna so that I can put it in the cab if I wish...

Mine, like probably most of yours, also has a nice NOAA weather stationfeature.

Tim C.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 PM
deleted per request

Last edited by akheloce; 02-12-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:51 PM
im running a cobra 3, does anyone know where i could get a good deal on a pa though?, and it sounds like your friend is running a amplifier but those are illegal.

Quick Reply: CB Radio: (Citizen's Band)