Stolen F150 question - How did they steal it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
Yes, but I don't know if it can be programmed with only a vin.
Just plane ole key for the '97 and '98 F-150s.

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
Nope factory. If I can get a picture of it soon I will.
Maybe a dealer installed item, but not from the factory from my research. There was a rumor of this option discussed over on FSB, but the guy never came through with a pic of the wiring and/or build sheet.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Maybe a dealer installed item, but not from the factory from my research. There was a rumor of this option discussed over on FSB, but the guy never came through with a pic of the wiring and/or build sheet.

Adrianspeeder
I will get a picture later tonight.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
my 95 did not have this chip you speak of.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unlocking it wouldn't be a problem. I had some kid try to sell me a slim jim in a parking lot once.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:16 PM
My '98 did not have the chipped key.

The didn't steal my whole truck, just the stereo. They just busted the window out. They also damaged the dash. It sucks, because the bezel pops right off.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My old partner at work, when we first started working together her and her husband had identical Ford Rangers when they got married. Except hers was I belive a 97 his was a 96 (his was one yer older regardless). His had that ignition clip in the dash too. We use our personal vehicles at work. On the days she'd drive his and if we we took it, when she wasnt looking, I'd pull it out slightly, just enough that it wouldn't start.

I belive, if I remember right, once it was started you could pull it out and not effect anything.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Unlocking it wouldn't be a problem. I had some kid try to sell me a slim jim in a parking lot once.
I might be wrong, but I have read somewhere people can unlock them with a flathead screwdriver?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't worry about that Vin number thing. Here in Jersey they need a copy of your license along with your registration to cut you a new key now.

James

Old 01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by JForestZ34
I don't worry about that Vin number thing. Here in Jersey they need a copy of your license along with your registration to cut you a new key now.

James
Thats great and all, but wont stop it from happening, if you have a "buddy" that knows how to do it, or you yourself know how to get it done.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, chances are that they didn't race it, as they would not want to be pulled over in a stolen vehicle. But if I was you, I would definately have a mechanic look it over. If I was you, I'd invest in either the relay mod that requires you to push some particular button to start it or get an alarm. My Dad's truck was broken into, and though it wasn't stolen (which is good, b/c he has a F-250 SD Lariat 4x4...nice truck), all the stuff inside was. same thing, it was locked (Both of us remember locking it--keyless entry), but when we got done with dinner, it had been broken into--with no signs of it, and everything was missing. We called FMC, and they knew about the problem, and offered no help. Bad lock design???

Old 01-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I once called a locksmith when I locked my keys in the truck... It took him less time with his wire (like a slim jim down the window) to unlock the door than it would have taken me to dig my keys out of my pocket. After that, who knows, towing would seem the easiest.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by PitbulI
My 97 F-150 was stolen just after Christmas and the cops just called me and told me they found it. However, there is something really odd they told me.

None of the door locks were punched out and the ignition was not punched out either.

Now I have all the keys for this truck accounted for. So I'm wondering on how did this guy get my truck. Is there a way to get into the truck and start it without breaking anything?
Magic

Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses except the last response. That was very tasteless. Having a vehicle broken into is a serious thing and with a 6 month old you really need a vehicle. But, I'm not really offended, just surprised someone would say that.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their responses except the last response. That was very tasteless. Having a vehicle broken into is a serious thing and with a 6 month old you really need a vehicle. But, I'm not really offended, just surprised someone would say that.
Ehhh, borderline, you are in GD. But stealin a truck is a hangable offense in my book.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not in General Discussion, I'm surpirised it took so long also surprised the thread has stayed on track this long.
This is not a place for serious very often, and as of right now for all anyone knows it could have been David Copperfield practicing his next trick.

Just accept all replies at knee value, be thankful for all replies, either serious, joking or off topic, a reply is a reply and good for you because they keep your thread active and on the front page longer for more to see it. Maybe 1 of 5 are good replies. If 1 out of 100 gives you the information you need then the other 99 of nonsence is worth it and necessary to get that one good one. Down here you cant wear your heart on your sleeve or the vulchers will devour it.

Quick Reply: Stolen F150 question - How did they steal it?