How to improve mileage

Old 08-24-2006, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to improve mileage

I was search the internet for various F150 articles and ended up clicking through to this article about 10 ways to save gas http://trucks.about.com/od/fuelecono...ve_mileage.htm

1) Perform Maintenance Tasks
Keep your vehicle tuned up and running like it should. Watch tire inflation, because under inflated tires create a drag that reduces fuel economy. Don't forget about wheel alignment--you won't get optimum gas mileage if the vehicle isn't rolling straight.
2) Maintain Good Aerodynamics
Installing a bed cover on your truck helps its aerodynamics. Air rushes over the cover and off the back of the truck, instead of into the bed, where it pushes on the tailgate and creates drag.

Loaded roof racks are handy sometimes, but items on your roof are another source of drag that can signicantly increase your gas consumption.

3) Keep it Steady
Continuous up and down acceleration and braking lowers your gas mileage. Use your cruise control on the highway to help maintain a constant speed.

Take it slow and easy on starts and stops. Slow down a little in general when you can, because you use more gas when you drive at higher speeds.

4) Use the Right Kind of Gas
Read your owner's manual to find out which type of gas the manufacturer recommends for your vehicle. Use a good brand of gas, one with detergent additives that keep the system clean, but don't buy more expensive premium if the automaker recommends regular.
5) Turn if Off When You Can
Stuck in traffic? Turn the vehicle off, don't sit and idle.

Avoid drive-thru windows with long lines. Park it and go inside the bank, restaurant, pharmacy or other business.

6) Plan Your Trips
Try to plan your trips to avoid congested, high-traffic areas with repeated traffic snarls and stop-and-go driving.
7) Use Your Air Conditioning Less
Air conditioning makes a vehicle use more gas, so turn it off when you can and try the vent instead.

Reduce the A/C's load by parking in the shade so that the vehicle doesn't heat up as much during short stops. Leave your windows or sunroof cracked slightly if you'll be right back or if you're close enough to run out and shut them during a rain shower.

8) Combine Trips
Try to combine your errands so that you can get everything you need during one trip, especially if you live a distance from shopping areas.
9) Don't Haul Items You Don't Need
You'll improve your gas mileage if you lighten up the load in your truck or SUV. Remove unnecessary items from the truck bed or cargo area.
10) Carpool or Ride a Bike
It's not always possible, but carpooling saves you a lot of dollars in fuel bills. Carpooling drivers can use less congested Interstate highway lanes in many cities during rush hours, so you might even get to work faster.

Consider public transportation if you live in a city or town that provides it.

Ride a bicycle for short trips, or walk to your destination. You won't use any gas at all and you'll be a step ahead with your daily exercise.
I had a question about items 2 and 7. I actually heard that if you put a cover on the bed it decreases efficiency because of a "bubble effect" where the air deflects off the tailgate and gives an extra push. Also, I was under the impression that once the truck is started up that the A/C does not cause you to use any extra gas. On the other hand rolling down the windows increases the drag and lowers the efficieny.

Maybe I am wrong but thought this was interesting and was looking for comments. :santa:

Old 08-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by ncsufire
I had a question about items 2 and 7. I actually heard that if you put a cover on the bed it decreases efficiency because of a "bubble effect" where the air deflects off the tailgate and gives an extra push. Also, I was under the impression that once the truck is started up that the A/C does not cause you to use any extra gas. On the other hand rolling down the windows increases the drag and lowers the efficieny.
Yes, I believe you are correct about both comments. From what I have seen/read, the tonneau "arodynamics" are off-set by the often heavy weight, or are simply a wash, with no impact, good or bad.

The A/C issue is probably most applicable when driving in the city, as opposed to highway driving, where open windows create more drag.

CHIA

Old 08-24-2006, 07:21 AM
The tonneau/cap/tailgate down/tailgate up issue is a difficult one to say definatively. There was a person on here a long time ago who said he did a project for school where it showed the gas mileage from best to worst was tonneau/tailgate up/cap/tailgate down. I've also read other reports that have it listed this way. I have also read reports that had it listed other ways. The wieght of the cover would lower the aerodynamic effects of the tonneau, so I guess if you used a hard top it could have the stated effect. If you used a soft tonneau the weight probably wouldn't affect your gas mileage as much.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 AM
best way:

-rope
-tow hooks/hitch
-lots of muscle

on a serious note

i did hear while going down the highway (if its not super hot outside, but a nice cool temp) roll up windows and just turn the panel on, no A/C. open windows cause drag and to drive the compressor for AC doesn't cause drag but in the end uses more gas. so with the panel on it like unrestricts the airflow going into the grill and stuff, i dont know if its true or not but i do it anyway, can't hurt any.

Last edited by Spinal; 08-24-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Best: lightweight *cough* Undercover *cough* tonneau cover

Worst: tailgate down, no tonneau

Theory: The "bubble" created by circulating air within the bed simulates a tonneau and prevents the slipstream flowing over the cab from dragging on the leading face of the tailgate.

Tailgate down, I guess you could debate that the slipstream just passes through, no circulating. But I like the insurance that my tailgate isn't getting dinged up by rocks thrown by my tires, doesn't bounce around, or fling off the hinges. Yes I've had it happen. This alone is why I suggest that as the worst scenario.

The tonneau simply prevents any air from dragging on the tailgate, bonus if it's lightweight. The heavier fiberglass ones, I don't know how much of an effect the weight has with respect to the aerodynamics.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know what would convince me of the "bubble effect"?
To see one of these f1 fiddy's in a wind tunnel...Make some smoke (or whatever it is) showing the "bubble" in the bed of the truck. I can picture that in my mind, but it's hard to believe that the air circulating in the bed of a truck helps with the "aerodynamics", which in turn, helps with fuel economy.

I dont get that?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne
Ya know what would convince me of the "bubble effect"?
To see one of these f1 fiddy's in a wind tunnel...Make some smoke (or whatever it is) showing the "bubble" in the bed of the truck. I can picture that in my mind, but it's hard to believe that the air circulating in the bed of a truck helps with the "aerodynamics", which in turn, helps with fuel economy.

I dont get that?
Proof enough for ya?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:49 AM

I can say this: That sure is one purdy "test vechicle". Who ever owns that truck is one lucky SOB.

Anyway, yeah, that's how I have it pictured in my mind, but I dont see how that helps with the aerodynamics of the truck. I dunno, it's mental block.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 AM
KSU - Looks liek you're going to have to make him one with the tailgate down.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
Proof enough for ya?
That is deceptive demonstrating. That V6 won't go fast enough to make a "wooosh".

Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
That is deceptive demonstrating. That V6 won't go fast enough to make a "wooosh".

zip it you.

What did I do to deserve this:

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 32 seconds.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Proof enough for ya?
Great graphics!

Old 08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Proof enough for ya?
With these it shows your truck have a great traction on rear wheel to the surface (for which it is basically the drive).

Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by ncsufire
Great graphics!
Well I've done more with less!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
I see it more like this....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to improve mileage