Car dealership ads with unrealistic restrictions

Old 02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car dealership ads with unrealistic restrictions

On the radio, they are playing an ad for a Nissan dealership that just moved to a new location. The owner also owns 2 locations of a Ford dealership along with another Nissan location. They have Dan Marino as their spokesperson. They go on to say if they don't give at least $10,000 for a trade-in then the first month is on them. That sounds like a great deal but their are a few stipulations. Before the actual ad, an anouncer quickly says that you must have a 740 or higher Beacon score. (The national average is something like 677). Plus, if they have to pay the first payment, they will only pay up to $500. Chances are, if you have higher than a 740 beacon you will be getting a more expensive car with payments over $500.

Anyone else see ads like this in their areas where they advertise a big sale but then restrict it so bad that nobody benefits from it?

I just happened to have just heard the ad and it got me thinking about this. Why restrict the sale to a select few. I mean, they could have said that their must be a 650 beacon or raise the minimum they would pay for the first month. I could understand if this was Mercedes/BMW/Jaguar or other luxury car dealership where not just anybody can come in and buy a car.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Who cares what the average score is; it's not hard to get a good credit score if you have half a brain. For the majority of American's who don't;oh well.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by UrbanCowboy
Who cares what the average score is; it's not hard to get a good credit score if you have half a brain. For the majority of American's who don't;oh well.
UC..I'm curious as to why you say this? I strive hard to keep a good credit score but there are tons of people who have a lousy score. There are tons of theses "fix your credit score"scams and all kinds of crap out there. So how is it "not hard to get a good credit score if you have half a brain"?

I'm serious..and not trying to be an **** ( just in case it sounds like it)

BREW

Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UC-
You are still ignorant enough to listen to screaming, obnoxious car ads. Those people prey on ignorance. When was the last time you heard the 'Ghostbusters' theme music on an ad for Lexus or Mercedes? Wealthy people are typically smart enough to not listen to idiots screaming at them. Poor, ignorant people will listen to the screaming ads and think "I can get a deal with these people, I won't get shafted like 99.99% of their other customers".

As long as people like you keep obeying the obnoxious ads, the ripoff dealers will keep producing them. They will say anything it takes to get you in the door, where their high pressure salesman scumbag has a 1 in 5 chance of conning you into signing a contract.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 PM
I sold cars for Ford for a while and saw alot of credit sheets. You'd be suprised how many people don't even come close to a 650. Most of those ads are designed with one purpose in mind, to draw in people who can't afford anything on the lot and bait and switch them. You're baited by the ad and the thought of 10000 for your hunker, but when you get their they either put you into something that doesn't qualify for the deal, or they simply tell you that you don't qualify the deal but have your attention to sell you something else.

The average person that came into The dealership I worked at had about a 610 score. Thats relatively chitty, qualifies you for crappy rates, and keeps you well below the price range of anything new or worthy of the road, lacking of course a daewoo or kia.

And another little side note, I know that my score has hit rock bottom not becuase of lates or overlimits or delinqincies, but solely becuase of amount outstanding. I've never missed a payment, but they don't think I can pay my bills with my "observable" income.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
I am going to agree with Brewdude. There are many people like me out there. I make decent money, but done things in the past that hurt my credit. I was told one time I had very good credit, but then got the one thing that usually ruins most people. CREDIT CARDS!! I done some stupid things with those cards and am now trying to rebuild. And I do have a half of a brain, I just made bad decisions in the past. Everybody makes bad decisions.

What I was refering to in my original thread is why do dealerships make sales that a person in the average range could not be eligible for.

You had a bad night last night, you need to chill out and relax and not take it out on us here on this site.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Like I said, just to get you in there and swindle you into something you didn't want in the first place.....It makes their bottom line

Old 02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul, excuse me for not being 'sensitive' and sugar coating it like some others would. But the fact is that obnoxious, screaming ads with hushed disclaimers are used to attract stupid customers. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you quit being a stupid customer. Until then you can continue trying to figure out how to get the 'free' payment and/or the $10,000 trade-in from the ripoff dealership.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Like the weekend car ads that show the biggest discounts and loaded cars/trucks for dirt cheap, then at the very bottom it says 2 available at that price. And then you find out they went on sale in the middle of the week and of course they're gone. "But I've got another one at a similar price that is almost equiped the same", yeah right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car dealership ads with unrealistic restrictions