F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Locked Out!! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/210517-locked-out.html)

Bilster 09-05-2005 01:12 AM

Locked Out!!

Like a complete idiot, I locked my only set of keys in my 1997 F-150. No electric door locks or windows. I've tried a "slim jim" but to be honest, I don't know what I'm fishing for. It's the Holiday and I don't want to call a locksmith yet. The window gasket configuration makes it impossible to get inside without tearing something up. Can any one offer any advice? If you feel more comfortable with a private message, please do so. Thanks!!

Podunk 09-05-2005 01:38 AM

I locked myself out once, It was around 8:00 at night in OK city a few years ago. It only cost $25 to have a locksmith come out. I think I would at least check to see what they want to charge before you get to carried away.

RockyJSquirrel 09-05-2005 07:28 AM

A locksmith will be less expensive than replacing a damaged window gasket.

mareys 09-05-2005 07:50 AM

[QUOTE]A locksmith will be less expensive than replacing a damaged window gasket.[QUOTE] or busted glass! If you can hold out until Tuesday your dealer should be able to make you a key with the Vin#. Nothing more aggrivating than looking in that window to see those keys dangling there! Good luck! ME

oldnnew 09-05-2005 09:50 AM

Do you have a sliding rear window? Try sliding the slim jim in there and flip the latch and simply slide window open. I've heard that these trucks can easily be accessed through the rear window. Let us know how you make out.

khendrix2374 09-05-2005 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldnnew
Do you have a sliding rear window? Try sliding the slim jim in there and flip the latch and simply slide window open. I've heard that these trucks can easily be accessed through the rear window. Let us know how you make out.

Way easy! Just take a pocket knife and push through the center behind the locking tab... tab opens and you can slide the window.

Ford should have designed them a little better.

closer9 09-05-2005 10:54 AM

When I traded my truck for the the Stang they were appraising/assessing/lookin' it over, and managed to lock the keys inside (the alarm would lock the doors automatically after 60 seconds, and they left the keys in it. ) My buddy (the salesman) was back there when it happened. He said they grabbed a slim jim out of an office, and without stopping/thinking or anything one of the shop guys had it open in about 5 seconds...

He said it was almost scary how quick and easy they had it open. Hope the Stang is a little more challenging...

Bilster 09-05-2005 11:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am going to wait for the locksmith unless some other non-invasive option arrises. Funny...these trucks were listed as the easiest to steal in the late 90's. I wonder how. Of course, thieves aren't worried about damaging the vehicle. I don't have a sliding glass rear window...darn.

JJG052590 09-05-2005 11:47 AM

Man, that sucks!

serotta 09-05-2005 02:17 PM

I did the same thing with my 97. It was running at the time. A local police officer had it open in about 3 minutes with a slim jim. He apologized for taking so long, he'd never used it on an F-150 before.

31Charlie 09-05-2005 02:30 PM

I had done the same thing with my old F150. no power doors, no power windows, no rear sliding window. Would call AAA and they would have it open in a minute. Kinda scary.

When I lost my set for the L (and the other set was in the center console, long story). I finally cracked down and called AAA. He stuggled for 15 minutes till he finally got it. I was happy it took so long, but it seemed like he was going to pry the door off to get inside. It really scared me (he tried the back window to, but no luck, maybe he was a n00b).

31C

PSS-Mag 09-05-2005 03:11 PM

I've locked mine in mine several times. MOstly right after I bought it. I was use to having keypad on the door and this one dosen't have that. Luckily wife has a spare key and FOB for mine so I have had to call her and have her come unlock my truck for me.

The locks on the sliding back glass on these are better than the ones on the early 90's S-10's. The one I had all I had to do was put my right plam flat on the glass and push while bumping the frame with the soft side of my fist and it would slide open. By the third time I did it I could get it open with one bump. :eek:
Lost about 200 CD's because somebody else apperently knew this while I was at work one night. Came out of work and my back glass was open, Cd's were gone. Of coarse back then we didn't have burners so it was all store bought cd's. About $3000 worth! :mad:

Bilster 09-05-2005 03:12 PM

Yeah! I opened it! Slim Jim the corner between the exterior key hole and the interior pull-up lock. Wrap the Slim Jim in masking tape to keep from scratching the window. Have the "hook" of the Slim Jim facing the back of the truck. Much easier this morning without the wife breathing over my shoulder calling me a dumb a--! I'm deeply in love with that woman but she can be the worst person you want around when you make a mistake. :thumbsup:

PSS-Mag 09-05-2005 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bilster
Yeah! I opened it! Slim Jim the corner between the exterior key hole and the interior pull-up lock. Much easier this morning without the wife breathing over my shoulder calling me a dumb a--! I'm deeply in love with that woman but she can be the worst person you want around when you make a mistake. :thumbsup:

HAHA
That's any women!

Never say Opps... instead say "I meant to do that!" then come up with a BS reason why!

lifeguardjoe 09-05-2005 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
HAHA
That's any women!

Never say Opps... instead say "I meant to do that!" then come up with a BS reason why!

Tell her, you needed practice just incase you needed to get it open somewhere else :wave:

Bilster 09-05-2005 11:19 PM

I blame it on the truck. For some reason the buzzer always buzzes when you open the door....whether the keys are still in it or not. After a while, I stopped looking to see if the keys were in it. A classic case of the truck "crying wolf". :rolleyes:

thereisnospoon 09-05-2005 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by lifeguardjoe
Tell her, you needed practice just incase you needed to get it open somewhere else :wave:

That was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time :thumbsup:

I think I've tried something similar to that before.......didn't work too well, and I was laughing my ass off at my own comment while she was still looking at me with disapproval.

Bilster 09-06-2005 11:04 AM

I know what it is.....no equality. There is no "sleeping on the couch" for a woman. How about a "dog house". No women in there either. That's where men are at a disadvantage. Can you imagine the power we would posess if we could put the significant other in the "dog house" for burning the roast. No instead we eat the charred carcass and even manage a smile when she asks.."How is it?"

UrbanCowboy 09-06-2005 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bilster
I know what it is.....no equality. There is no "sleeping on the couch" for a woman. How about a "dog house". No women in there either. That's where men are at a disadvantage. Can you imagine the power we would posess if we could put the significant other in the "dog house" for burning the roast. No instead we eat the charred carcass and even manage a smile when she asks.."How is it?"

Back when I had a girlfriend, when we would fight, I'd go sleep on the couch. She hated it and I guarantee every time, she'd be out on the couch with me within a half hour. We may have had 1-2 serious arguments which she'd let me stay out there for a few hours but never all night. I used the dog house to my advantage. :thumbsup:

vader716 09-06-2005 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanCowboy
Back when I had a girlfriend, when we would fight, I'd go sleep on the couch. She hated it and I guarantee every time, she'd be out on the couch with me within a half hour. We may have had 1-2 serious arguments which she'd let me stay out there for a few hours but never all night. I used the dog house to my advantage. :thumbsup:

That worked for awhile with my wife...now she just spreads out in the bed when I'm on the couch...

jamzwayne 09-06-2005 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by vader716
That worked for awhile with my wife...now she just spreads out in the bed when I'm on the couch...

:lol:

lariatf150 09-06-2005 01:10 PM

I believe you can order and install the keypad for the door like is standard on XLT's and so on. I think it's wireless...I think.

RockyJSquirrel 09-06-2005 03:22 PM

NEVER EVER EVER give up your bed due to an argument. If she's that pished at you, then SHE can go sleep on the couch. NEVER give up your bed.

rltripp 09-06-2005 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
NEVER EVER EVER give up your bed due to an argument. If she's that pished at you, then SHE can go sleep on the couch. NEVER give up your bed.

come on now...the couch isn't sooooo bad. Its kinda like camping.

PSS-Mag 09-06-2005 06:37 PM

Half the time we fall asleep on the couch and we don't get up til morning anyway. We haven't slept in bed since last thursday come to think of it. :confused:
I can crash anywhere. I've even slept in the back seat of a VW Bug before! Of course alcohol may have had something to do with that one. :eek:

1997f150ohio 04-08-2010 09:12 AM

Locked out

Just unlocked my 1997 F150, I was fortunate to have my neighbor (who is a retired State Highway Patrolman) offer me a slim jim and some advise. Slide something slim ( paint scrapper/edger) between the door seal and window. This will permit the slim jim to move freely. Angle the slim jim or tool that you have over and under the door lock under the handle, it takes a few try’s and it might be hard to pull up but keep at it.

FX41 04-08-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel (Post 1820227)

You sir, are very wise, advise that shall be followed. My wife and I, even when we were dating have never slept an entire night apart because of a fight. I ALWAYS get in bed and when she is like "get out of here," my reply is always "If you don't want to sleep next to me, you get out." She does every now and then, but never longer than a half hour or so.

Come to think of it, we havn't had a real fight since we got married...:rolleyes:

ChrisT 04-08-2010 11:45 AM

:lol: And I'm willing to bet that with that attitude, ole' Rocky is not with that same girl as he was when he posted this damn near 5 years ago. :lol:

MikeF150 04-08-2010 02:43 PM

Did lifeguardjoe become a man yet? :eek:

Dinggus 04-08-2010 03:35 PM

5year old topic?

Raoul 04-08-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MikeF150 (Post 4170851)
Did lifeguardjoe become a man yet? :eek:

:lol: Damn, he's 24 now!

He knew everything when he was 16,... I'll bet he forgot it all.

MikeF150 04-08-2010 10:52 PM

awwww... the good ol' days.... :lol:

Originally Posted by lifeguardjoe (Post 1634236)
I wish my truck actually looked like my sig, it's only photoshopped though.

I'm looking to replace it with an economey car. I've got my eye on a '00 Mitsu Eclipse GT, 5-spd, black.

This is only a 'maybe' but is more close to a 'possibly'.

Originally Posted by Raoul (Post 1634370)
Lifeguardjoe, if you do decide to sell your truck, I may be interested in some of those photoshop parts. I plan on dressing up my sig.

You might as well sell them. I don't think they will look as good in a sig over on eclipseonline.