F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   Silly String illegal in Lost Angeles (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/165887-silly-string-illegal-lost-angeles.html)

kobiashi 08-18-2004 03:00 AM

Silly String illegal in Lost Angeles

You can't smoke in any public area (which is fine by me cause I don't smoke) but no smoking in BARS seems kinda odd to me -

You can't smoke at the beach (illegal)

They tried to make it illegal to smoke in your own home (didn't pass, but give it time)

You can't carry a gun -

Soon cops won't be able to carry guns -

Actually, the list of things that are illegal here that you can do anywhere else is mindboggeling (interestingly enough though, with regard to illegal aliens, we reward them and now want to give them driver's licenses . . . we pay for their medical and education, it's cost Los Angeles County 5 Billion (with a B) dollars a year to pay for services for illegal aliens . . . and even though their presence is "ILLEGAL".....).......
WE LET THAT SLIDE . . . .

However, here in L.A. we are about to make "Silly String" illegal (and you can bet they'll enforce that)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/1...eut/index.html

I have got to get out of this town . . . it's gone totally nuts. Must leave before the annexation to Mexico or total Common Sense Collapse (which ever comes first) . . .

jaymz 08-18-2004 09:00 AM

"here in L.A. we are about to make "Silly String" illegal "

About time! I live in constant fear of being "silly stringed."

TUFF FORD 08-18-2004 09:04 AM

Man, that's weird.

Brings a whole new meaning to people in LA being 'strung out'!:devil:

fatman66 08-18-2004 09:16 AM

no offense to those of you that are from LA and or live there now but LA is even ahead of NYC in the list of places I have never even had the desrie to set foot in. I don't hate cities per say but something about LA just ain't right.

TUFF FORD 08-18-2004 09:33 AM

I'd like to see it just to see what the hype is all about. I have visited NYC, DC, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis and a few others and live in Atlanta now. I am not a big fan of cities, but they are pretty cool to visit.

LA and Miami still remain out there for me.

Growing up in the country, I never had the desire to leave...now that I have gotten out of my 'comfort zone', it aint so bad out here. Eventually, I'll move out a little further, but I like where I am now. I am about 40 miles north of downtown Atlanta and live in a town of about 10,000 people. I like the small community feel, with access to the 'big city conveniences' (big airport, sporting events, entertainment, food, etc).

~what the hell am I talking about, and why did I feel the need to post it here?~

kingfish51 08-18-2004 10:16 AM

Re: Silly String illegal in Lost Angeles

Originally posted by kobiashi
or total Common Sense Collapse (which ever comes first) . . .
I think your too late.

MROLDV8 08-18-2004 11:09 AM

OK...So I show-up in LA with a smoke dangling from my lips and a can of silly string on each hip. What are they gonna do to me? What's the fine?

MR :confused:

TUFF FORD 08-18-2004 11:13 AM

Originally posted by MROLDV8
OK...So I show-up in LA with a smoke dangling from my lips and a can of silly string on each hip. What are they gonna do to me? What's the fine?

MR :confused:

"Galbraith said silly string offenders would face fines between $200 and $1,000."
- and that's just for the silly string.

I don't know about the smoking thing

However: it would "ban the use of the string-like plastic derivative in Hollywood on Halloween"

...only in Hollywood, and only on Halloween??

MROLDV8 08-18-2004 11:19 AM

That's crazy. Now there's gonna be low-lives hanging around at the high schools pushing silly string. Hmmm, there could be a big profit opportunity there.

MR

jamzwayne 08-18-2004 11:45 AM

...and THATS why I moved BACK to Texas from Cali (bunch of weirdos around there)

1depd 08-18-2004 11:52 AM

I can actually see the logic they are using. If not used properly it could cause a serious injury or death. I mean with the way it is going out there do the people have enough common sense to realize they are suppose to press the button on the top of the can and NOT throw it at some one hard enough to break it open?:D

kobiashi 08-18-2004 12:27 PM

Originally posted by TUFF FORD
I'd like to see it just to see what the hype is all about. I have visited NYC, DC, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis and a few others and live in Atlanta now. I am not a big fan of cities, but they are pretty cool to visit.

Well, that's one of the interesting things about "Los Angeles", there really isn't a "city" per se.

When you hear quotes of 10 million (although I actually think it's 12 million now . . . with illegals probably 15 million) that's spread over a pretty big area.

If you were to come here looking for something like Manhattan, you wouldn't find it. We have a downtown area which has a concentration of some tall buildings, but it's not any place you'd want to go . . . it's mostly business, not much residential, (although they have been trying to change that these past few years (lofts seem to be the "in" thing) . . . but I'm not sure how the "revitalization" thing is going.

With it being so spread out here there's no sense of a central place, a city. It's also the reason (along with no true public transportation) that you need a car here . . . and there a plenty of them...way too many. There must be 7 BILLION cars and trucks here (or at least it seems like it) Traffic has gotten out of hand, and in certain areas (like West L.A. where I live) there can be dense traffic almost 24 - 7, and the "freeways", especially the 405 and the 101 are usually parking lots more hours than not. And don't get me started on real-estate prices!!!

Then, there's just way TOO MUCH ethnic diversity here. I'm all for the melting pot thing, but here it has reached a point to where there is no cohesion . When your ballots for voting are written in 37 languages, something is wrong.

A speaking of politics, it's become way to politically correct (the changing of the County Seal which has been the way it is for something like 150-200 years) so as not to offend, in effect disregarding a historical heritage that founded this county and state in the first place, where just about everything is illegal (when they start making it illegal for things you DON'T do then something's wrong) and where COMMON SENSE is dying (maybe died long ago), and where the quality of life has dropped precipitously, especially in the last 5 years, then it's time to consider going. (I've thinking of Maryland as I have folks I know there, and friends in NJ and NY "nearby"). This place (although this part is nothing new) is pretty shallow too . . . image is everything, there's not a lot of depth (granted, that's a generalization, but it's a pretty good one), and I think the average I.Q. is something like 75. My friends tell me I wouldn't be happy leaving ("Folks in Maryland aren't as sophisticated as they are here you know...", however if what I see around here these days is "sophisticated", I'm not sure I want any part of sophistication any longer.

Although I guess it could be worse . . .

I could be in Santa Monica. Now that place is CRAZY!

Sorry for the long rant.

k

fatman66 08-18-2004 12:32 PM

New York is a freakin mess , take my word for it, especially upstate and western NY but at least we got a budget, even if it was like 130 days late.

kobiashi 08-18-2004 12:37 PM

having a hard time typing . . . I think we usually go 6 months late without getting a budget approved, although this last time, I think Arnold actually got it thru with much less delay that the last moron Gov. we had.

So that sez somehting . . . Arnold is the best Gov. we've had in a long time.

serotta 08-18-2004 12:45 PM

The people making those laws are the same generation that sat in a circle in the 60's and 70's passing a joint and trying to keep a balloon aloft with as little effort as possible for hours at a time. Studies of long term "soft" drugs lead straight to the California General Assembly. They need to terminate that kinda thinking. What'ta my talking about, the Terminator has arrived, just give him time. He'll either solve it, or learn to keep the balloon aloft.:devil: