New virus out - Watch for ZIP files in your email -

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More info here

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100983.htm

My mail boxes have started filling with them recently

data.zip - Readme.zip that contained a scr file and a message.zip all came as attachments today in email - Do your self a favor and delete them

Follow up :

Be CAREFUL the Norton and Mcaffee updates JUST came out yesterday. AFter the virus was discovered. In fact if you goto Mcaffe and do an update now you MAY NOT get the update you need to clean this virus - It wont be added to the normal update till THurs...

Mcaffee had an Extra.dat you had to install to sqash these bugs - They may have added it to the updates by now...

Doug

Old 01-27-2004, 09:40 AM
He's right folks, I've been hit 10 or so times already. Luckily I'm protected and haven't opened anything. JL has gotten some too.

Do not open anything with a zip file attached.

Tim

Old 01-27-2004, 09:41 AM
I had a few try to slip past this morning, the Dr. took care of it

Old 01-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I've recieved it about 50 times thus far between about 5 email addresses...

Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Got it last night a couple times to my non public address... I got it from "Sony" and it said it included my Station report.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:39 PM
No sense starting a new thread. This one just came across my desk today, and involves a new identity-theft scam:

"Press Releases
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joint Release FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FDIC-PR-6-2004 January 23, 2004

FDIC And FBI Investigating Fraudulent Emails

At approximately 12:00 p.m. (EST) on January 23, 2004, FDIC Consumer Call Centers in Kansas City, Missouri, and Washington, D.C., began receiving a large number of complaints by consumers who received an email that has the appearance of being sent from the FDIC. The email informs the recipient that Department of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has advised the FDIC to suspend all deposit insurance on the recipient’s bank account due to suspected violations of the USA PATRIOT Act. The email further indicates that deposit insurance will be suspended until personal identity, including bank account information, can be verified.

This email was not sent by the FDIC and is a fraudulent attempt to obtain personal information from consumers. Financial institutions and consumers should NOT access the link provided within the body of the email and should NOT under any circumstances provide any personal information through this media.

The FDIC and the FBI are attempting to identify the source of the emails and disrupt the transmission. Until this is achieved, consumers are asked to report any similar attempts to obtain this information to the FDIC by sending information to alert@fdic.gov <mailto:alert@fdic.gov>.

Media Contacts:
FDIC: David Barr, 202-898-6992
FBI: Paul Bresson, 202-324-3691 "

Old 01-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Really Old "Member"
Not sure but............

I don't know anything at all about viruses but in the last 24 hours, about 1/3 of my incoming mail is a message from AOL, from the "Mailer Demon", that an email I had sent could not be delivered.

In all cases, I did not send that email to anyone resembling that address and in fact during the time periods specified I did not send any emails at all.

Is this one of the permutations of this latest virus?
Bill

Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Bill, do not open those emails! Yes, this is a manifestation of the virus that tries to `trick` someone into opening the email to see who they `allegedly` sent this email to that didn't make it. Best thing to do is to just delete them and go to www.symantec.com and scan your computer for viruses.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Thank you Apple for giving me peace of mind ... Suffer you mindless drones

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Unhappy

I got eleven of them.
I read Microsoft is offering a $250,000 reward for anyone who has information about the makers of this virus.

What should be done with these mf who are constantly busy to fu the internet. :o

Quick Reply: New virus out - Watch for ZIP files in your email -