F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Upgrading from 150 to 250...a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading from 150 to 250...a little advice

Howdy everybody! Longtime lurker but I finally have a question worth posting. OK, yeah, worth it to me anyway. I am looking to buy a recent year F250 4wd long bed. Probably gas instead of diesel, mostly because I don't want the added expense and am not maxing the truck out as a pure tow vehicle. But give me good reasons and I am happy with diesel (except expense). I am towing a couple times a week, normally only in the 6-8000 range but when all three horses are loaded with saddles, hay and so forth trailer and trailer GVW is easily above 10,000. Hauling in the bed more often than that. It is hilly in Idaho so I wanted some additional performance "cushion" beyond an F150. I don't give much of a crap for all the NASA level sync and connectivity electronics, but really do want it to run, haul and be reliable.

Not really interested in buying a brand new one and taking that first year (or two) bath on depreciation as much fun as it would be to fill out the order form. I have been researching like crazy and just getting more confused with each yearly "reliability" study (J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, True Delta, Repair Pal, ad nauseum). My thought originally was a 2015-2017 in good shape. Then got to thinking maybe a 13-14 may be OK. Nothing older, though, unless everyone says the XXXX or whatever is the most reliable thing ever.

I found some disturbing data about big dollar breakdowns and suffering reliability in recent years and frankly don't know who to believe. My 2008 150 was super reliable and it was a 4x4 and towed frequently but it needs replacing. I have heard horror stories about lack of reliability in recent years and don-t know what to think. I wanted to ask some real world people who'd give me their real world experience and opinions. So...who is willing to chime in on most reliable year(s) 2013-2017 for F250?

Thanks a ton everybody...err, thanks a 3/4 ton.

Last edited by grlichti; 04-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My buddy has a 2017 and it seems reliable. He hasn't had any issues and he drives a lot. I think he's got over 15k on it already.

I know... 15k versus 115k is a dramatic difference.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
My buddy has a 2017 and it seems reliable. He hasn't had any issues and he drives a lot. I think he's got over 15k on it already.

I know... 15k versus 115k is a dramatic difference.
Thanks Manual. Yeah, it seems the more time I spend researching it the more confusing it gets. But the reliability issue does seem to come up though it is hard to know how "real" of an issue it is. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Here's another point:

A truck owned by an individual is usually going to have far less wear than a truck that is part of a fleet, where who knows who has driven it.

So you need to be really careful where the reviews come from.

For example, we've got a few F-350 stakebeds at work, and they are abused to all high hilt. So when stuff breaks on them, it's because someone did something they shouldn't have or the truck really wasn't designed for it. Plus, they don't care -- it's not their vehicle.

Then my other example is my buddy who just got his '17, and takes care of it and doesn't abuse it.

Hopefully this helps.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:05 AM
I would not hesitate for a second to buy a 2015 6.7L Power Stroke diesel (15+ has a better turbo and some other minor changes). The 6.2L gas engine is a work horse as well and does not have any major notable issues that I am aware of.

Frankly, if you are going to be purchasing a vehicle that is doing a lot of towing and hauling in the 6-10k+ range, I would go with a diesel 350, maybe even a dually. In any given scenario, I would take too much truck over too little, especially when it comes to hauling. What happens if a few years down the road you find yourself in a scenario where you may be hauling a bigger/heavier trailer? Then you are looking at another truck upgrade. The way these new Fords are built, they are slated to last a good long while and hundreds of thousands of miles if properly taken care of, so getting another new(er) truck in a couple years does not make a lot of inherent sense if you can buy a good one now that will do everything you need and last as long as needed.

However, sticking with a gas truck is also an understandable choice. Higher GVWR due to less powertrain weight, and any out of warranty repairs on a 6.7L diesel are insanely expensive. They do not happen often, but like anything with thousands of small moving parts, something may break, and when it does, you consider yourself lucky if the repair bill is under the $5,000 mark. A guy I know was telling me how they have an F550 diesel in their fleet, and under 70k miles the engine cratered. $22,000 bill from Ford to put a new long block it.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m in the sam boat as grlichti. I have always had a 150 but now am looking to get something to pull a camper around this great country in retirement. Right now I am looking at GVW 10,000 camper fifth wheel but who know what may come in the future. Wife might want to upgrade. If I go 250 diesel, I would have to go a year or two older to get closer on price I need. Not sure on the route to take, mileage, year and engine wise. I hear that the gasser is really bad on gas.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If you want a diesel I wouldn't go any older than 2011, that's the first year of the 6.7. However, the 2010 and earlier gas V-10's are great engines and the gas mileage when towing isn't really THAT bad, should get about 9 mpg.

If you are going to tow a 10k 5th wheel, I'd recommend a F350, dually not really needed.

Quick Reply: Upgrading from 150 to 250...a little advice