F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

08 PSD Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 PSD Recall?

Did anyone else get a letter from Ford talking about a recall on the PCM on the 08+ PSDs? I got one in saying they need to re-program the PCM on my truck so that it will detect problems faster... Any info on this?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
What do you want to know about it? The 08 F550 at work was reflashed, no change in performance that the driver can notice.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
What do you want to know about it? The 08 F550 at work was reflashed, no change in performance that the driver can notice.
What will be changed? Will it add anything that might pervent me from taking the DPF off at a later time? Just wondering if there is a list or something of things it will change. They didn't go into deep detail in the letter.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Seems pretty straight forward in the letter. Some examples of what it will add is water in fuel reduced power mode, engine coolant temp monitoring, over full engine oil level sensing, and proper circulation within the engine oil cooler.

Mine goes in on Monday morning.

Technically not a recall, just customer satisfaction update 11B23

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't have my truck any more, but it looks to me like they are replacing the PCM, not flashing it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
that letter they sent you has probably left some things out i dont know much about the 6.4 or the 6.0 but i can tell you right now that the pcm has bigger problems than that just think about it i dont think they are going to waste shop time so your truck will find problems faster when they re program it they will probably do some other things on top of locating problems faster (im not trying to bring ford down but thats what i think they are doing)

Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998f150wes
that letter they sent you has probably left some things out i dont know much about the 6.4 or the 6.0 but i can tell you right now that the pcm has bigger problems than that just think about it i dont think they are going to waste shop time so your truck will find problems faster when they re program it they will probably do some other things on top of locating problems faster (im not trying to bring ford down but thats what i think they are doing)
Want to try that again with some periods?

If you don't know much about the 6.4L or 6.0L, what are the bigger problems you think there are with the ECM?

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I don't have my truck any more, but it looks to me like they are replacing the PCM, not flashing it.
I just called my dealer and they said all Ford said to do it flash it with a new program. He said it shouldn't take longer then 45mins to do. Taking it in Friday.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by stx2006
What will be changed? Will it add anything that might pervent me from taking the DPF off at a later time?

There is no way that a dealer is going to tell you that since its illegal to remove emissions equipment from the truck. You'll be on your own there. This update hasn't been out long enough for any of the delete mfg to work around, if they even have to. Regardless, if you're dead set on putting on a DPF delete, all you have to do is wait and the mfg will work around it.

The increased sample rate on the sensors and increased number of sensors monitored is for the techs working on the truck. This way they can get more detailed information when there is a problem to help diagnose it faster. I deal with this when I'm working on diagnosing a combine. The more data I have the more I can piece together what actually happened or what failed. If the sample rate is too low you may miss a critical section of data during a failure. The down side of this is the increased computing power needed to do it and the added memory space for more data, though what they changed isn't drastically going to change the ECM performance. There really isn't any inherent hardware or software problems with the ECM on the truck like you're thinking is. As I stated in my first reply, there are no changes to the ECM that the driver will be able to detect. It will drive as it did before since they are not touching the mapping sector in the software.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
There is no way that a dealer is going to tell you that since its illegal to remove emissions equipment from the truck. You'll be on your own there. This update hasn't been out long enough for any of the delete mfg to work around, if they even have to. Regardless, if you're dead set on putting on a DPF delete, all you have to do is wait and the mfg will work around it.

The increased sample rate on the sensors and increased number of sensors monitored is for the techs working on the truck. This way they can get more detailed information when there is a problem to help diagnose it faster. I deal with this when I'm working on diagnosing a combine. The more data I have the more I can piece together what actually happened or what failed. If the sample rate is too low you may miss a critical section of data during a failure. The down side of this is the increased computing power needed to do it and the added memory space for more data, though what they changed isn't drastically going to change the ECM performance. There really isn't any inherent hardware or software problems with the ECM on the truck like you're thinking is. As I stated in my first reply, there are no changes to the ECM that the driver will be able to detect. It will drive as it did before since they are not touching the mapping sector in the software.
So there wont be anymore readings that I can go to on the dash or anything? I wish ford would show more info to the driver as to whats going on with the truck. I have a 2011 Chevy truck at work and it will tell me whatever I want it to from the temp outside, trans temp, oil temp, water temp and so on. Ford really needs to step it up on the info side of things.

Quick Reply: 08 PSD Recall?