F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Spare Tire Lock Key?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spare Tire Lock Key?

Im wondering if someone can help me. I have a 2006 regular cab 4wd F350 which I bought new and I do not have the spare tire lock key that I am suppose to have. They say its in the glovebox. Its not there. I checked everywhere and I do not have it. I am sure I didnt misplace it cause that is not like me to misplace anything. I called the dealer with my VIN number to order me a new one and he says its not that easy. He needs to see the truck to try to figure out which one it is that I need. Does this sound right or is there an easier way? Anyone come across this? ~Mike

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY
Im wondering if someone can help me. I have a 2006 regular cab 4wd F350 which I bought new and I do not have the spare tire lock key that I am suppose to have. They say its in the glovebox. Its not there. I checked everywhere and I do not have it. I am sure I didnt misplace it cause that is not like me to misplace anything. I called the dealer with my VIN number to order me a new one and he says its not that easy. He needs to see the truck to try to figure out which one it is that I need. Does this sound right or is there an easier way? Anyone come across this? ~Mike
If this is the key that goes on the end of the crank to lower the spare, check in the tool bag with the tire iron and jack handles as it may/could be in there. My new 2008 had it in the glovebox from the factory. You could looke behind the seat around the seat brackets... I've seen 'em lost there, too. It should be in a clear tough plastic ziplock bag about 5 inches long by 3 inches wide. The key is about 1/2 inch in diameter and about 4 inches long with a retainer clip/spring on one end to hold it on the crank extension rod.

If you are talking about an actual padlock with cable around the tire like some dealers do to deter theft, then I'd cut it off and start over.

If it is the special socket for the locking lug nuts, you may check your owner's manual for the card that has the special socket number. I know from experience, the lug socket is a BIG deal if lost.

I'd say the socket for the crank to lower the spare should be tied to the VIN somehow, but if not, I can see the dealer needing to take the spare lift assembly apart to see exactly what the configuration of the socket is that will lower the spare.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, thats the one I mean, the key that you need to lower the spare down from under the truck. I looked all over and didnt see it anywhere. It must have been misplaced from the beginning Im assuming...I called the dealer and they said giving them the VIN number does them no good...Ahhhh!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
check inside the owners manual booklet holder. I always had mine stored there.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I found it! It was in my closet in a box with other crap and paperwork that goes with the truck. Luckily I never got a flat tire on the road because I would not have had the tool with me to get the spare down! I have no clue why it was in my closet, but it is now in the truck in the tool bag behind the seat where it shoulda been from the beginning!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY
I found it! It was in my closet in a box with other crap and paperwork that goes with the truck. Luckily I never got a flat tire on the road because I would not have had the tool with me to get the spare down! I have no clue why it was in my closet, but it is now in the truck in the tool bag behind the seat where it shoulda been from the beginning!

Oh! Duh! I forgot to mention to look in the closet, too. I once searched for hours on end looking for the special socket to take off my 20" factory wheels on my last Superduty. I knew I saw it somewhere. Then, I thought I threw out the plastic box with the regular lug nuts the lockers replaced because I thought "I'll never use them". I panicked because the socket AND the registration card that indicates the special socket number were together in the same box. I knew I had just seen them. After looking for about a day, I was relieved (and ticked) that I moved them around about four times while looking for them. My mind's eye saw them in a different box that I "just couldn't seem to find". Glad you found the tool. No tool when needed could have ruined a perfectly good day.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
My ignition key takes the lock of so you can get the pole down to lower the spare. Does your ignition and door key not open yours. Mine is 08 lariate btw.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 PM
My keys have nothing at all to do with the spare tire...Not sure what you mean...I have an 06, maybe thats the difference?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
ok, my 08 in the back bumper has a key lock that i have to turn and pop out in order for me to put the pole down it to be able to crank the spare down. Is this not what you are talking about. If not sorry.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh I know what you mean, nah mine isnt like that. They're always changing stuff year to year lol! I say leave well enough alone. -Mike

Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Wow! Maybe that's what those weird looking keys in my center console are for? I bought my 06 used. Found the socket for the locking wheel lugs but I have these two weird looking keys that I've no idea what they're for. Thought maybe they were just left behind by the original owner. Then too I've got a couple of weird - what appear to be extra long fuses - that I found in there too. They have the two prongs on em like a fuse but they're longer and narrow? And they sem to be metal?

Gotta check those keys tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare Tire Lock Key?