F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Manual tranny still stiff

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual tranny still stiff

Hi Ford experts.

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on this. I have an 08 F250 with the manual transmission. With about 5000 miles on it and the tranny still feels as stiff as it did the day I drove it off the lot. I have almost always had manual transmissions and none of them has taken this long to soften up.
Should I just leave it alone and drive it or is there something I can put in there to make it shift a little smoother.
My last one was in an F150 and it felt like shifting a car after a few thousand miles. Is this just the trait of the bigger transmission?
Thanks for the advice.
JB

Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Probably...Trannys these days have tighter tolerances and it really also depends on how aggressive you are with it. The F250 trans if bigger and stronger than the F150 and it's designed for severe duty. I wouldn't worry. If so , just talk to your Ford rep about it and he can eleviate any concerns...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Probably...Trannys these days have tighter tolerances and it really also depends on how aggressive you are with it. The F250 trans if bigger and stronger than the F150 and it's designed for severe duty. I wouldn't worry. If so , just talk to your Ford rep about it and he can eleviate any concerns...

Old 10-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My F150 with the stick is TIGHT. Like really tight.

It's not notchy or anything... but it wasn't like my '99 nor like my Dakota's.

It hasn't changed since I've put my 8,863 miles on it.

To also throw into the mix is that with this stick in this truck... you have to be a dumb-dumb to grind the gears. Not to mention, it seems as it has a feature that if you 1/2 shift it into that gear, that the transmission "sucks" it into gear without it grinding. I've NEVER grinded the gears... it's almost impossible.

I wonder if they did some "work" to the newer M5OD-R2 transmissions.

Last edited by ManualF150; 10-26-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:24 PM
sounds good

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I am just hoping it is because it is a heavier duty transmission. It is not bad at all or in any way, just not as smooth as I am used to. I still love the truck. And so far that is the only comment I have about the truck. It should last me a nice, long time.
Thanks again.
JB

Quick Reply: Manual tranny still stiff