F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Running a Diesel Truck around town:Would it affect diesel reliability or performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running a Diesel Truck around town:Would it affect diesel reliability or performance?

I'm considering getting a diesel truck and heard that using one mainly around town wasn't advised.

Whats the general opinion on diesel engine reliability and other factors when using it for city use?

All information is appreciated.

Thanks ahead.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
They use diesel in city buses and school buses. So I am sure it is not a problem. Just make sure you get some heavy duty cooling fans in it to stay safe.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Actually no diesels do no like high amounts of city driving. Though this depends on what kind of driving you're talking about. If you're talking alot of short trips then you'll put the engine in an early grave. You need to get the oil up to operating temp to essetially "burn out" all the impurities (essetially any condensation from sitting). The constant starting the engine will wear thing outs much more quickly.

Additionally if you let it sit and idle without any kind of idle controller you'll end up with wet stacking. Bascially the temps in the cylinders at idle are not capable of burning all the fuel off. What happens over a period of time the unburnt diesel washes down the cylinder walls and gets into the oil. This in turn damages the internal seals. Running the truck at a higher idle (1200-1500 rpm) raises the cylinder temps resulting in a complete burn. You can either run a chip with a high idle program (voids warranty) or run a factory AIC box which allows you to select the idle rpm, as well as run a voltage protect.

Are you going to be towing or putting very high mileage each year on the truck? If so then I wouldn't recommend a diesel. The fuel efficiency just isn't there on the PSD to justify the purchase cost of the diesel. In town I get around 13-14mpg if I can keep my foot out of it. Sad thing is that my friend with an 01 SD with a 5.4L, 4" lift, and 35s gets a comparable mileage except for towing. The problem I have is either finding stations that carry diesel, or stations that do not have stale diesel (yes it does go bad, and does so very fast with the ULSD).

If you're going to drive the truck through stop and go traffic and at least get it up to operating temp then a diesel can survive that, but unless you HAVE to have one a gasser would be a be a better fit.

Last edited by powerstroke73; 05-26-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Interesting...

Old 05-27-2007, 04:00 PM
A dude at the local tavern and I were talking. He has an '06 PSD and I the 06 V10. For around town and since I do not do a lot of towing or put a nice load on the motor he actually told me I had the better engine (rare for a diesel fan). He said something that the diesel engine likes to and should be under a load. I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but tought I'd share it with y'all.
School buses are rather heavy and haul alot of kids around so I would imagine that those would qualify for "under a load"

Old 05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Actually no diesels do no like high amounts of city driving. Though this depends on what kind of driving you're talking about. If you're talking alot of short trips then you'll put the engine in an early grave. You need to get the oil up to operating temp to essetially "burn out" all the impurities (essetially any condensation from sitting). The constant starting the engine will wear thing outs much more quickly.

Additionally if you let it sit and idle without any kind of idle controller you'll end up with wet stacking. Bascially the temps in the cylinders at idle are not capable of burning all the fuel off. What happens over a period of time the unburnt diesel washes down the cylinder walls and gets into the oil. This in turn damages the internal seals. Running the truck at a higher idle (1200-1500 rpm) raises the cylinder temps resulting in a complete burn. You can either run a chip with a high idle program (voids warranty) or run a factory AIC box which allows you to select the idle rpm, as well as run a voltage protect.

Are you going to be towing or putting very high mileage each year on the truck? If so then I wouldn't recommend a diesel. The fuel efficiency just isn't there on the PSD to justify the purchase cost of the diesel. In town I get around 13-14mpg if I can keep my foot out of it. Sad thing is that my friend with an 01 SD with a 5.4L, 4" lift, and 35s gets a comparable mileage except for towing. The problem I have is either finding stations that carry diesel, or stations that do not have stale diesel (yes it does go bad, and does so very fast with the ULSD).

If you're going to drive the truck through stop and go traffic and at least get it up to operating temp then a diesel can survive that, but unless you HAVE to have one a gasser would be a be a better fit.

I do agree that starting and stopping a diesel before its fully warmed up on a continous basis isn't what diesels like and that is why the service manual will consider this as severe duty service and reduce the recomended oil change intervals.

However, the statement in bold makes no sense. Don't recomend a diesel for towing or long distances? huh? This is what they are made for and mine gets about 3mpg better than my 2004 5.4 F150 on the highway not towing, and about 7mpg better pulling the same 7400lb load. Now factor in that gasoline (for the moment at least) costs about 50% more per liter or gallon.

As for the idling, any new PSD already has high idle built in, you just need to connect a couple wires under the dash if you have the outfitter switches, or add a switch if you don't. But on the other hand, there is no need to idle extensively and waste fuel anyways, just turn it off unless you are using accessories of course.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 AM
So....

You say it is built in and you just need a switch eh? Well I have a 1997 Diesel, how would I do this?

-Vycan

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by vycan
So....

You say it is built in and you just need a switch eh? Well I have a 1997 Diesel, how would I do this?

-Vycan
I mean any new PSD, like newer than 2003, but I don't know what year Ford starting putting it in.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't be putting high miles on it at all.
Usage at the moment would be about 60-40 city/highway.
I just wanted to get a feel if a diesel would be a viable option.

My Explorer, is ready to be put to sleep.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Sorry, there should be a "not" in the above statement. Kinda changes the whole meaning I guess.

Only the 6.0L has a built in high idle controller which can be used by connecting wires. This did start in 2003, but obviously does not apply to the 03 7.3L trucks. The older 7.3L PSD trucks must use an AIC box to control the high idle. I just happen to know where one will be for sale very shortly

From the descriptions you're giving on the truck usage: roughly 20k a year, no towing, and mostly city driving; I don't think a diesel is for you. Right now for a new diesel you're looking at around $6000 for that option over the base price. Its doubtful it'd ever pay for itself by the time you sold or traded it. A 5.4L F150, maybe an f250 if you option it out right, would get you by just fine and would have alot cheaper price to start with.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Sorry, there should be a "not" in the above statement. Kinda changes the whole meaning I guess.

Only the 6.0L has a built in high idle controller which can be used by connecting wires. This did start in 2003, but obviously does not apply to the 03 7.3L trucks. The older 7.3L PSD trucks must use an AIC box to control the high idle. I just happen to know where one will be for sale very shortly

From the descriptions you're giving on the truck usage: roughly 20k a year, no towing, and mostly city driving; I don't think a diesel is for you. Right now for a new diesel you're looking at around $6000 for that option over the base price. Its doubtful it'd ever pay for itself by the time you sold or traded it. A 5.4L F150, maybe an f250 if you option it out right, would get you by just fine and would have alot cheaper price to start with.

This is exactly what I just told my sister and brother'n'law who thought they would trade in their Grand Cherokee for an F350 as their daily driver/city commuter. I think I got them talked into a F150 screw instead.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:42 PM

Only the 6.0L has a built in high idle controller which can be used by connecting wires.
Is there any place online with instructions on this? I have the 05 with the upfitter switches my as well hunt for those wires.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by CajunJosh
Is there any place online with instructions on this? I have the 05 with the upfitter switches my as well hunt for those wires.

here you go...

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=0#Post2635020

Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Appreciate it nvrenuff

Quick Reply: Running a Diesel Truck around town:Would it affect diesel reliability or performance?