F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel or not to Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel or not to Diesel

how much of a headache are the 6.0 diesel engines? I'm looking into buying a new F250 CC 4x4 6 3/4 and I'm not sure if i should go for the 6.0 or 6.8. The truck will be used to haul a travel trailer later when i retire but for now it will be just a daily driver with some offroading. I have ruled the 5.4 out already. I've read and heard that the 6.0 have had some problems and I am wondering have they been worked out or is it the same engine still from day one. I've never owned a diesel so again just wondering will it be worth it or should i go with the 6.8.<UPDATE> I have bought the F250 with the diesel and with over 12,000 miles I'm pretty happy with it.
Thanks Again
James

Last edited by Murf; 01-15-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:43 AM
James,
I work for a company that sells parts to Ford dealers and since we have been open at 800 this morning, it is 833, we have sold over 5500 in diesel injectors for the 6.0. 8 of them for one truck. Yesterday we sold four turbos at 1300 a crack.

I AM NOT saying that the PSD 6.0 is a bad motor. I have driven several and when they run right and are taken care of they are great. But the key to these engines is proper maintenance. Take care of your fuel filters and air filters and only use good quality gas from a truck stop type place that cycles through large amounts of deisel fuel. The fuel can pick up water and those water droplets (or microscopic dirt particles) in the fuel scour the injectors and bammo, you need a new set at the same cost as a completly rebuilt 6.8 v10 from the dealer.

Also think of the service difference. Deisels require a technician that wants to work on them and the gassers can be worked on by any tom **** and harry.

Personally, the 5.4 serves my needs (travel trailer and Menards junkie), but if I where going to go off road, the v10 would win due to nice low end torque production and predictable throttle response (no wait for turbo to spool), but if I were towing everyday and had constant highway access for fuel, the PSD hands down. But, I would buy one of the old 7.3's first!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I would say Diesel. I just traded my 2002 F150 for a 2003 F250 Larait FX4 short bed crew cab 6.0L Powerstroke, and wouldn't go back. I have read al lot about the issue's with the 6.0L and most were in the last few years and I believe that most have been worked out. I had an oasis done and nothing major at all and never has been with mine . As far as the 7.3L my wifes aunt/uncle have one and love it. But in my opinion you can't get as much out of it. As far as buying parts from Ford I wont do it. I love Ford but look at their prices. $5500 for injector?! I/you can get better performance injectors that add hp and torque for $1200 for the set and up. My F150 was acting up and needed new plugs due to water rusting them out and I priced coils as well , $120 each if needed , at Napa $65 buck. Thats crazy to me! I know Ford genuine parts but I and others have never had issues with Napa. As far as turbos Im not sure but I bet that they aren't $1300 for performance places. My 2 cents.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:53 AM
I need to clarify. The injectors are 187 plus a 150 core from Ford. Plus you get 100% of the core back no matter what (that includes engines and turbos, and transmissions too). But it is 1051am and we have sold an additional 7500.
We have sold 8 for 2005
15 for 2004
22 for 2003

Just today.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Core for each? I heard that those injectors arent the best anyways. I was told the injector's make up the main difference besides the .6L bigger motor of the duramax.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Rock
Yup, core for each, however because of the gaurenteed refund, most dealers do not charge if you do the repair there. Most independents charge, but send you a check after they get their refund. If you are just joe somebody, you better believe that you will pay for these things! 250 +150 core is retail. hence a 3500 injector job + 10 hrs labor @ 70 an hour = 4200 buks. Same price as a complete installed remanufactured v10 with a full 3/36 warranty.

Not everyone has these problems, but most can be traced directly back to poor, wet, dirty fuel or bad air filters like k&n.

The difference between the duramax and the powerstroke (besides displacement, turbos, blocks, cylinder head construction, engine control) is in the fuel systems pressure. Ford runs a much higher pressure to fully atomize the deisel fuel for a more efficient burn and therefore more power. Better for the engine, the enviroment, but must have clean fuel to work.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Get the diesel, I have over a 105K on my 6.0 with no issues. (40K with a tuner on the RACE setting) Love it and wouldn't trade it.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
If you are considering getting a diesel, get it NOW. The new for next year diesels are going to cost substantially more than the 06 diesels due to new government regulations and required particulate filters. The 06 6.0's seem to be pretty trouble free, I sell a lot of em, and no troubles yet.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you buy the diesel, beat the hell out of it. The 6.0 liter seems to have less problems when they're worked hard. Lots of idling, puttering around town without letting the engine reach full operating temp ain't good for it. Drive it like you stole it.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by aaronlake
Rock
Yup, core for each, however because of the gaurenteed refund, most dealers do not charge if you do the repair there. Most independents charge, but send you a check after they get their refund. If you are just joe somebody, you better believe that you will pay for these things! 250 +150 core is retail. hence a 3500 injector job + 10 hrs labor @ 70 an hour = 4200 buks. Same price as a complete installed remanufactured v10 with a full 3/36 warranty.

Not everyone has these problems, but most can be traced directly back to poor, wet, dirty fuel or bad air filters like k&n.

The difference between the duramax and the powerstroke (besides displacement, turbos, blocks, cylinder head construction, engine control) is in the fuel systems pressure. Ford runs a much higher pressure to fully atomize the deisel fuel for a more efficient burn and therefore more power. Better for the engine, the enviroment, but must have clean fuel to work.
K&n filters are bad? I was always told that THEY ARE THE BEST! Never used though. Why bad? What is the recommended ? Motorcraft Fram?

Old 04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Rock,
K&N are the best flowing filter, However they have the least filtration capabilities. The Ford AIS system has the best filtration, but bad flow therby reducing power output. As with anything with a turbo motor, there are trade offs either high flow and more hp, or less hp and longer life. If anyone has a K&N and has used it more than 10K, look at your impeller on the turbo, it will look like it has been sandblasted. My company sells the engines to Ford and we call K&N job insurance.
Disclaimer: I have a mustang with a k&n and it is turbo charged, but it IS NOT my daily driver and I would never trust k&n to my daily driver. My previous owner installed a k&n on my superduty and the first thing I did was remove it to find the intake tube full of dust. Just remember k&n were engineered for racing vehicles, not every day drivers. There is a reason no factory on this planet equips them as OE.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
So what is the best all around filter?

Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 AM
There is no best all around filter. Only the best filter for what is your choice on what you want from your truck.
Long Life for your engine and turbo: Ford AIS
Performance decreased reliability: K&N

Personally on my truck, I use a simple fram paper filter, but I also have a gas motor. The K&N that was on there poluted the inside of the engine and I think the truck has to many miles to justify a Ford AIS. But, reliability is most important to me at this time. If I decide to pull the trigger on the supercharger kit I have been looking at, the truck will get a K&N for performance reasons. Because, seriously, if I supercharge an 80,000 mi engine, I don't expect it to last long and a rebuild would be done soon anyway so what would a K&N hurt? Of course after the rebuild, I would have to find a way to make an AIS fit...

Sorry Rock, no clear answer.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Whats the cc on stock 6.0L injectors?

Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM
core charge:180 each (wholesale)

Quick Reply: Diesel or not to Diesel