F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

HIGH MILEAGE F25O

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HIGH MILEAGE F25O

LOOKING AT BUYING A 99 F25O THAT HAS 89,000 MILES ON IT. ANY THING I SHOULD LOOK FOR OR BE AWARE OF????????????? THANKS

Old 03-23-2001, 05:28 PM
89,000 is not real high milage, at least not compared to our f250. The only thing i would check is see if those miles are highway with no load or like offroading with a load? How the guy drove it before you makes all the difference.

Old 03-23-2001, 05:38 PM
take to a mechanic and have a safety inspection done on it should be about 25 bucks for safety inspection

Old 03-23-2001, 05:47 PM
Wink

Some people call me crazy but it has saved me money in the long run before. Take the truck to an independent mechanic and have him do complete diagnostic check. I usually pay between 100-150.00 for it. I know it sounds expensive, but it may save you later. (I once almost bought a truck that had no compression on one cylinder!)

Good Luck,

Joe

Old 03-24-2001, 08:53 AM
Cool

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INFORMATION. I'M NOT TOO WORRIED ABOUT THE MILEAGE. MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE DIESEL THOUGH SINCE I'VE NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE. I WILL TRY AND CONTACT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE TRUCK AND SEE WHAT THE TRUCK WAS USED FOR. I THOUGHT WITH THAT MANY MILES ON IT THAT THE MAY HAVE USED IT FOR SOME TYPE OF HOT SHOT TRUCK BUT THEIR ARE ONLY MINOR SCRATCHES IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK, NO FIFTH WHEEL HITCH HOLES AND THE OVERALL CONDITION OF THE TRUCK IS GOOD. IT DOES HAVE SOME OIL AROUND WHAT I THINK IS THE TURBO TUBES (NOT SURE THOUGH) AND THE COMPUTER HAS BEEN REPROGRAMED BY FORD. NEW GLASS, MASTERCYLINDER, BRAKES ALL AROUND, AND THE TIRES LOOK FAIRLY NEW. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

Old 03-24-2001, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

For a diesel, 89k isn't a lot of miles. Check out www.ford-diesel.com and read about some of the problems the diesel owners are having. The "oily" turbo and reprogrammed PCM are things that I'd be a little cautious about. Diesel owners usually keep their trucks a long time (many miles)- unless it's having problems.

Old 03-24-2001, 09:20 PM
Thumbs up

I wouldn't worry to much about any towing that's been done with that diesel. My truck always runs even better and actually gets better fuel milage than average, on the tank after towing something really heavy. See if you can get any maintaince records. Have an oil sample pulled and analysed. This will tell you a LOT about whats going on in that engine. Do have someone look at it that "really" knows what they're doing. And PLEASE check out www.ford-diesel.com They've just done a restructering of that board and most of everything you will need is in the archived sections. (you'll just need a couple of beers and a few uninterrupted hours to READ) I don't know much about the 99's but I've read there was a 99 and also a 99.5 model. I believe I read that a lot of the early 99's had quite a few problems. This is something to check out.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

Old 03-26-2001, 11:42 AM
Thumbs up

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE, BUT THEY SOLD THE TRUCK ALREADY SO I AM BACK TO LOOKING AGAIN. I WILL FIND ONE THAT I WANT. ITS MY MONEY UNTIL I SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE. BEEN LOOKING AT WWW.AUTOTRADER.COM AND THEY HAVE ALOT OF TRUCKS WITHIN A FEW HOURS DRIVE FROM ME SO I WILL EMAIL THEM FOR INFORMATION. AGAIN THANK FOR THE HELP.

Quick Reply: HIGH MILEAGE F25O