F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250's vs F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool F250's vs F150

With the exception of the Lightning, F150 owners sure have a lot of constant complaints about trans, brakes, etc. when compared to the F250 crowd. Whether stick or auto, complaints are very minimal, brakes almost a non-issue, makes you wonder why anyone would buy a F150 when you really look and talk and compare experience

Old 06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what the ratio of f150 to the superduty owners are on this board?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:48 AM
It takes years to work the bugs out of each new version. I know that I wouldn't buy the first year of that ugly new F-150. The 2004 F-150 area of this board grew very fast and is basically a discussion of problems.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't hate on the 2004 because it's a first-year model. There will always be things changed that didn't work as well as they were designed, but there's quite a bit of R&D in the 2004. Either way, the 2005s will be out pretty soon. I think that there are a lot of people who don't want a work truck, though, and that's what the SuperDuties are. I want one!

Old 06-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Re: F250's vs F150

Originally posted by beechkid
With the exception of the Lightning, F150 owners sure have a lot of constant complaints about trans, brakes, etc. when compared to the F250 crowd. Whether stick or auto, complaints are very minimal, brakes almost a non-issue, makes you wonder why anyone would buy a F150 when you really look and talk and compare experience
Keep in mind, you're dealing with a select few people here. People who have issues/problems with their new trucks are going to more actively search for a fix, and speak up more than those without problems. Whether it be complaining to friends, expressing their displeasure to Ford, or coming to a message board like this. Generally, people don't browse all over the internet to brag about how awesome their trucks are, that is an afterthought once they are here. Most people that post a problem came here looking for a fix.

There have been several polls run in the '04 forum with surprisingly few people with problems. There is so much hype about the tranny/brakes/rear end shudder because everyone is trying to figure out exactly what it is and what it feels like. Once people get it in their heads that there is a problem with the '04, they start looking for it in their trucks as well as other 'problems'. I am not saying that these people don't have problems with their trucks, Lord knows that's been well documented, I just don't think that everyone that posts about it, has the actual problem.

I love the F250, and it's no doubt a great truck...but it doesn't suit my needs. I have owned 5 F-150's, including my current '04. I simply don't need the 250. I like the ride and looks of the 150 vs the 250. But, there's an *** for every seat, it's really personal preference, and what you are looking for in a truck.

I currently have 11,000 miles on my '04 and the only problem I had was with the clutch pack. I could have lived with it, but since it was a free fix, I jumped all over it.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:56 AM
I had an '01 F-150 SC and sold it with 65k and zero problems. I now have an '04 F-250 diesel and it is awesome. For guys who hunt and fish off road a bit and do some camping or pull a light load the f-150 is great. If you do much towing the diesel is the way to go. No comparison.

The f-250 is a big sucker and it is a real truck. I am glad I made the switch for towing my boat and trailers but it is not for everyone. As far as complaints they are like a$h**les everyones got one but some are bigger than others. I read so much trashing of the 6.0 from guys who did have legitimate issues but it is just a micro percentage of total owners and if you are the one with a lemon it is likely you will scream loud too. If you are concerned then buy an extended warranty through a credit union. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:42 AM
beechkid

As the saying goes, you're comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different animals. I've got an '03 150 with 28K miles and I absoloutly love it! Zero problems. And I tow a 5,000 lb travel trailer occasionally. The F150 isn't the #1 selling vehicle in america because it has alot of problems. Having said that, my next truck will be a Powerstroke. Why? Because I want a bigger trailer. Sort of a "right tool for the right job" kinda deal. And I really don't notice that there is that high of a complaint rate on these forums. As was stated, nearly all polled have loved their Fords, reguardless of model. Yes, there are problems, and I'm glad there is so much knowledge to tap in to on this sight. Enjoy your truck!

Old 07-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I recently traded my 97 F150 Lariat with a 4.6L for a 2004 F250 SC with diesel, and love it. There is no comparing the power and ability of the two. Glad I made the change. I get about 17.5 MPG, which is a little more than I got with the 97.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by max mitchell
I know that I wouldn't buy the first year of that ugly new F-150. The 2004 F-150 area of this board grew very fast and is basically a discussion of problems.
It's too bad the next Lightning is going to be based on that 'ugly' platform. If you were going to rate the quality of a vehicle based on the posts on this board, then I doubt if anyone would buy a Lightning. (Intercooler leaks, sparkplugs spitting out etc.) But you have to realize the number of problems you read on here is small compared to the number of trucks sold. I sometimes wonder how critical some people are of their new ride. Sometimes you'll read a post from someone who has a list of problems/complaints and I have the same truck and no problems at all. Am I lucky and he's not? It just seems odd. By the way, here's my 'ugly' truck. She may be ugly, but I like her.

Last edited by RED WING NUT; 07-02-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:35 AM
In Feb. of '99 we decided to unload my '88 Bronco II, but we didn't know exactly what we wanted. Our bank was hosting a used car sale and we decided to go and look see. Test drove a couple different vehicles but nothing was appealing. The salesman steered us to a '97 F-250 (LD) Lariat, 4x4. We drove it, liked it. But I felt it was more truck than we needed. Test drove a couple more and decided to buy the F-250.
Glad we did. It has been the most useful vehicle I've owned. We have two Jet-skis and a 21' boat. The ski's and trailer are only 1400 lbs., but the boat and trailer are close to 5000 lbs. We have no trouble towing.

Bought the truck with 52k miles and it now has 115k on the clock. Only real trouble I've had was a TPS sensor and an EGR valve go bad. Beyond those two failures the rest has been regular maintenence items. Battery, brakes , tires, shocks, etc.
The only odd problem I had was noisy (squeeling) brakes in extreme cold temperatures. We were in New Jersey this past January for two weeks. The brakes sounded like they were metal to metal. I pulled all four wheels in 5 degree temps and found no problems. As soon as we returned to Florida the noise went away.
Things that make you go, Hmmmmmm.

Last edited by Iggy; 07-06-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Problems?....what problems?....LOL I've had 0 problems...zero. I'm still pretty low on the milage at the moment (8,500)...but if there was something really wrong, I'd know it. Brakes are exceptional, handling is perfect (like a car, but nice and FIRM), power is good, fit and finish is awesome....looks great. In fact, I was waiting for my wife at her friend's house....and her friend's husband has a F-250. He came out as soon as he saw my truck and stared a hole in it...lol He said he wants one to replace the 250 when he gets a new truck...and his 250 was a diesel! Now obviously, he's not doing any super heavy towing...but I know he does tow a nice sized trailer.

Anyway, to each his own. Yes, there have been people having a little trouble with a few things...but the board would be flooded with problems if it were really an issue. These boards tend to attract people with problems anyway...a way to vent and to find help. Check out the F150 forum now. It's 99% about mods and other stuff. Very little talk of problems now. But wasn't there talk of many problems with the 6.0 PSD when it was new?

The 150 is what it is and the 250 is what it is. They aren't meant to be the same truck, have the same looks and capabilities, etc. Personally, when I buy a new truck in another 10 years or so, I want a nice turbo diesel! I like the cheaper fuel cost, increased milage and I love the sound of a turbo winding up

While I'm at it, I'll list a few things I don't like about the current super duty from Ford. Mainly it's all asthetic. I can't stand that steering wheel! My God...I drove a 250 before I bought the 150, but I just couldn't stomach the interior. the dash area overall and the controls for the A/C, etc...just not much to look at. (I love the exterior though!) Yes, the interior perfect for a truck, but I wanted more of a 'car-like' interior. More shallow bed on the 250 was another issue. Check my 'larger pics' link ( in particular)This one and see my beauty in full shine. How could anyone say she ain't pretty? LOL...I'm in love with it
Or what about this one or this one

Last edited by lariatf150; 07-06-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F150 vs F250/350

I'm not sure where you are going with this.

I've had three F150's. Never once were they in the service bay (I did the recommended maintanence myself). Over 200,000 miles of excellent service.

I moved to a SD since I moved up to a 10,000 lb. (loaded) car trailer. I just feel safer with the bigger truck. I've not had any problems with the new '04 F350.

Quick Reply: F250's vs F150